A couple quality issues on our 24 SSBXP during the first 20 hours...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LC Fam

Reaction score
Our new 24 SSBXP with a Yamaha 250 vmax arrived!! I must say, overall we really like it but have had a few issues that are not the typical 'Bennington Quality' we have experienced on previous Benningtons... Right out of the gate, the power steering wasn't hooked up to the key switch - so it didn't work all weekend and then I had to load it back up and take it in for repairs. The dealer promised me that their guys made sure it worked before I picked it up, but it was found (after manual steering all weekend) that the wire harness was never hooked up in the first place. Then I noticed several scuffs along the front of the motor cover - the dealer wants to buff them out but I am reluctant because of how it might look in a few years. I am going to push for getting a new one without scuffs. Then, today our friends were swimming around the front and found a couple 4 ft wire harnesses / plugs hanging down into the water from just inside the outer pontoon floor area. Not sure what it is for, but again I am going to have to load it back on the trailer and take it to the dealer for fixing. I guess while it is there I will ask them to look it over for anything else that might be wrong. All that said, we love the interior seating, the colors my wife picked out, the Helix 7 and that Yamaha motor!! Just could do without the quality issues going on.....

All of these should have been caught by your dealer and addressed prior to delivery. Shame on them.

Unfortunately, in some ways, our boats are like RVs on the water. We obviously aren’t dealing with as many variables that can go wrong as with an RV, but there is still typically some ”sorting” that needs to be done after taking delivery. The absence of functioning power steering shows you the depth to which a dealer typically goes on a pre-delivery inspection. In my experience, if it wasn’t right after it left the factory you will be dealing with it after delivery. I have been happy overall with the condition and absence of any real issues upon taking delivery of ours. The only annoying thing was wiring that was not tied up properly under the deck and when we pulled the boat out of the water it was hanging down in several areas after the first time on the water. Not something I would have expected on a boat with the price tag. It’s all relative. I had a boat that was custom built years ago and on the maiden voyage we discovered it was taking on water and it literally almost sank before we could get back to the launch ramp and back on the trailer due to water intrusion around the outdrive. Extremely sloppy rigging. Needless to say I wasn‘t at all happy.

Your boat shouldn't have these issues.
That said, Bennington was down for what, six weeks?
Then upon opening back up there's the daily struggles of supplies from vendors and pressure to catch up on sold orders put weeks behind. We all know that this environment fosters less than perfect results. No doubt warranty expenses must be higher on product being built during these challenging conditions.
The dealers are facing the same pressures to get product through their facilities.
A perfect example of why it's valuable to have a good local servicing dealer, and the importance of sticking by them..... So they in turn will take care of you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Bill N, challenging Covid conditions is likely the root cause. It would be like a hospital getting overwhelmed with Covid patients and expecting your dislocated pinky to get the same level of attention and bedside manner as during normal times. Should they be held accountable for the lower level of QC? Sure - they will take their lumps from complaints and have to make good on warranty. But I would be much more concerned if this continued during “normal times”.

There was another thread that got closed regarding crappy welds on a new boat, mine included. I chalked it up to the factory working too fast to catch up on back orders and new demand, not some intentional act by Bennington. Bad timing on the purchase on my part and emotionally I’ve moved on. I know my work quality suffers when I’m overwhelmed and stressed. Life isn’t always fair. I have a boat and for that I feel blessed.

Per forum rules, thread locked from further discussion concerning “issues”. You are welcome to PM if you want to discuss further.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back