A Few Newbie Questions

MJF

Reaction score
Hey gang,

Proud owner of a gently used 2008 2275GSi. Coming from the world of dual console Grady Whites, this thing is awesome. No more buffing and polishing fiberglass and gelcoat and dealing with tiny access hatches, bilge pumps, and bottom paint.

So I've taken my Benny out a few times and I have a few questions.

1. Tubing. Where do I attach a tow rope to the boat? I don't have have a tow bar. On my old Grady, I used the aft trailer tiedown anchor points. On the Benny, the anchor points are very close together. I'm concerned about the rope getting tangled with the motor. I suppose I could try to attach the rope to the cleats? See pic.
  2. Grilling. I have a grill that mounts in a rod holder. On my Benny, the rod holders are above the gas tank and fuel filler cap. Something tells me it's a bad idea to have an open flame so close to the tank. Rail mount would be best, right? See pic.
  3. Scratch repair. With age comes a few dents, dings, and scratches. Can I touch up the scratches on the outside of the playpen (is that what you call it?) with nail polish or touchup paint? How do I color match? See pic (and please ignore the ripped bimini for now).

This forum is an excellent resource. Found a great tip on adding glovebox storage to the helm. All in all, super happy with my purchase and can't wait to get back on the water. Thank you!!

Attachments

• IMG_2342.jpg
    IMG_2342.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2356.jpg
    IMG_2356.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 43
  • image_6487327 (1).JPG
    image_6487327 (1).JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 43
Do not use the cleats or the tie down points for towing .Check out a Turbo Swing .

You can contact Bennington with the link below ,they should be able to get you the paint code .Be sure to include your Hull ID .

Others will chime in about a grill ,I dont grill on mine .

TurboSwing out of stock for my engine. Not to mention it's $1,000. Oof

You may be able to add a standard tow bar for less . Make sure to check where you plan on mounting it and for motor clearance.

Ditto advice above on both paint and tubing questions.

If you want to tube, and do so safely, your options come down to turbo swing or tow bar. Is what it is cost wise. Both the tube eyelets and the cleats are NOT designed OR safe at all for it. Probably your big drawback is going to be cost and safely securing to boat.

Unforutnatery, I don’t grill either, so no great ideas on that. I know some grills have brackets that can attach to railing, and I believe there are some breackets made for that purpose as well that are separate items. But having never done any boat grilling myself, I don’t know any details. Hoping someone with boating grill experience can point you in a good direction.

I would look at vinyl wrap for siding too, can make boat look brand new.

I have a quick release mount that clamps to open top rail. See this link for something similar. I don’t know what brand grill you have. I have kuumo and there i a quick release mount

i will say im not sure what grill mount ill use now.... My old boat had an open rail. My new bennington does not so i cant use the style of clamp i have now... hmmm

i will say im not sure what grill mount ill use now.... My old boat had an open rail. My new bennington does not so i cant use the style of clamp i have now... hmmm

Use this with a Scotty Square rail mount. I don’t have screws through my mount as it’s really tight.

Scotty #243-BK Square Rail Mount https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001VESU56/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_29J16VWKGXCVEPTEJ90C?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Back