Adding Speakers to Tow Bar

RangerMTB5

Reaction score
We've had our boat for 3 summers and it's been everything we've ever wanted. One thing we've noticed is that when anchored and floating behind the boat, as we normally do, it's very difficult to hear the music coming from the boat, without cranking up the boat system, and blasting out those onboard.

I've seen a few posts, mainly on facebook about speakers mounted to the tow bar (see pics for tow bar details). I think we're going to do this in the spring, however, this post is to get feedback before I purchase anything. Not looking to blast music to the shoreline, just have good, clean sound for those relaxing in the water.

- I would run a signal line to the head unit at the helm, back to the swingback (fished under the boat). I would also run an amp turn-on cable that I would wire to one of the unused aux switches so i could turn the amp on/off as needed.
- Amp mounted next to the batteries and wired directly to the batteries.
- Fish the speaker lines following the engine battery cable to the back of the boat.
- Drill a hole in the bottom of the tow bar for the speaker cable, fish it up and out another hole at the top.
- Considering going with a passive sound bar, something like this: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_867CORE6/Wet-Sounds-Stealth-6-Core-V2-Black.html
It could be mounted to the underside of the tow bar and still leave clearance for tilting the motor up. I'm not positive that's it's fully waterproof and can be left out in the rain all year.
- Or, tower speakers, however I might not be able to mount them under the bar....clearance issues with the motor tilting up. something like this: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_206KMTC65/Kicker-45KMTC65-Charcoal-Black.html

Please provide any input/thoughts/comments on this! Thank you!

One thing I've noticed is that there's very little discussion about how the wires are fished from the helm to the back with the under skinning on. Once I do this, I'll be sure to report back and post pics/details.

Attachments

• IMG_0804.jpg
    IMG_0804.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 31
Just my Rant: We don't play music out the back of the boat because the people floating are talking to each other. We had a wake boat show up last year and anchor 200 ft away and we got to listen to their music and them shouting over it for the afternoon. To me, boating is about getting away from the noise and stress of the everyday world. To float for several hours with your friends and family is our enjoyment. If you want to go to the sandbar fine, if you want to play music at 90 decibels fine, just don't do it were I can hear you.

Just my Rant: We don't play music out the back of the boat because the people floating are talking to each other. We had a wake boat show up last year and anchor 200 ft away and we got to listen to their music and them shouting over it for the afternoon. To me, boating is about getting away from the noise and stress of the everyday world. To float for several hours with your friends and family is our enjoyment. If you want to go to the sandbar fine, if you want to play music at 90 decibels fine, just don't do it were I can hear you.
I hear you. We've seen the boats with the crazy sound systems that echo throughout the cove....we're not looking for that. Music is a part of our boating experience and we'd like to be able to hear it within, i don't know, 20 yards of the back of our boat.

I agree, top rail mount looks to be essential given motor trim space. Like you, music is part of our water enjoyment. Not ones to blast the lake, but want enough to hear in and immediately outside the boat. We have the swingback set up too, but went with factory rear swingback speakers when we got the boat. Glad we did now, as they are nice for your application.

Our RGB Factory Set Up

Sounds like you have a good game plan on what you want to do. Good luck with your upgrade. It will be nice when you are all set.

I agree, top rail mount looks to be essential given motor trim space. Like you, music is part of our water enjoyment. Not ones to blast the lake, but want enough to hear in and immediately outside the boat. We have the swingback set up too, but went with factory rear swingback speakers when we got the boat. Glad we did now, as they are nice for your application.

Our RGB Factory Set Up

Sounds like you have a good game plan on what you want to do. Good luck with your upgrade. It will be nice when you are all set.
Yup. I even looked at trying to mod my swing back to fit the factory speakers, however the mods would be too significant to make that work. Thanks! Will keep this thread updated.

i have the same swingback. it came with (4) kicker coaxials and the same headunit. i added a 4 channel amp (75watts rms X 4) to the kickers, a sub amp (600 watts rms at 2 ohms) and a 10" kicker 2 ohm sub under the swingback. both amps near battery , closer to battery cutoff wich left storage under the tilt up seat. i used the the cutoff and added fuses for both amps. to run wires i used 1" flexible conduit. i ran rca internconnects (3 pairs), 4 pairs of speaker wires, 1 remote wire, in the conduit prior to installing on boat. i then fished the conduit from one side to the other - between alum sheet and plywood. then fished it up under helm, then up the battery compartment. i used RCA to amps, i spliced speakers wires to existing speaker wires, remote to existing remote. i tuned the levels with a voltmeter. i used screw clamps into plywood along the outside edge of boat, with the conduit laying on top of the alum sheet across the boat.

the existing kickers sound a lot better on an amp. i tuned the subwoofer with headunit sub output turned up to midpoint. this will allow me to cut sub level or add to it with headunit, without using the remote sub control that came with amp.

the cheapest add for you would be install (2) coaxials under the swing back. you could run the 4 fronts off the front channel at 2 ohms, use rear channel at 4 ohms for the rear facing speakers. then just fish speaker wire to the back in a small flexible conduit. yes you would have to cut the sheet metal under seat.

my wife wants rear speakers for next season. ill reconfigure wires for (4) kickers on boat to be off front channel (2 ohms), rear facing to run off back channel and add (2) kicker coaxials facing rear and cut the sheetmetal on the swingback. i might go with something on the bimini but i think theyd have to be removed when down.

kicker sub

amps

We've had our boat for 3 summers and it's been everything we've ever wanted. One thing we've noticed is that when anchored and floating behind the boat, as we normally do, it's very difficult to hear the music coming from the boat, without cranking up the boat system, and blasting out those onboard.

I've seen a few posts, mainly on facebook about speakers mounted to the tow bar (see pics for tow bar details). I think we're going to do this in the spring, however, this post is to get feedback before I purchase anything. Not looking to blast music to the shoreline, just have good, clean sound for those relaxing in the water.

- I would run a signal line to the head unit at the helm, back to the swingback (fished under the boat). I would also run an amp turn-on cable that I would wire to one of the unused aux switches so i could turn the amp on/off as needed.
- Amp mounted next to the batteries and wired directly to the batteries.
- Fish the speaker lines following the engine battery cable to the back of the boat.
- Drill a hole in the bottom of the tow bar for the speaker cable, fish it up and out another hole at the top.
- Considering going with a passive sound bar, something like this: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_867CORE6/Wet-Sounds-Stealth-6-Core-V2-Black.html
It could be mounted to the underside of the tow bar and still leave clearance for tilting the motor up. I'm not positive that's it's fully waterproof and can be left out in the rain all year.
- Or, tower speakers, however I might not be able to mount them under the bar....clearance issues with the motor tilting up. something like this: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_206KMTC65/Kicker-45KMTC65-Charcoal-Black.html

Please provide any input/thoughts/comments on this! Thank you!

One thing I've noticed is that there's very little discussion about how the wires are fished from the helm to the back with the under skinning on. Once I do this, I'll be sure to report back and post pics/details.
I would suggest a waterproof bluetooth portable speaker such as the SONOS Roam. Amazon also has a mount that you can attach to the back of the boat. With an iPhone nearby you can control what is playing via your voice. https://spartanmounts.com/collections/all-bluetooth-speaker-mounts/products/sonos-roam-speaker-mount

I would suggest a waterproof bluetooth portable speaker such as the SONOS Roam. Amazon also has a mount that you can attach to the back of the boat. With an iPhone nearby you can control what is playing via your voice. https://spartanmounts.com/collections/all-bluetooth-speaker-mounts/products/sonos-roam-speaker-mount
So, that's a great idea, however, i'd like to be able to have the same music on the boat and off the back. I tired using a bluetooth speaker with a bluetooth transmitter from the headunit, however, there was a delay and it cause an echo which was annoying. Maybe that was the transmitter I was using? Im not sure but worth another look.

I have not tried using both but I have the PX2 upgrade head unit and it comes with bluetooth. I can play off a USB stick, Pandora or Bluetooth to my iPhone. The SONOS speaker is either part of my home SONOS network or Bluetooth. Also the SONOS Roam speaker is voice controlled so I say SONOS play .... etc. but that is in my home. Anyway it is a great little speaker plenty of bass I am glad I got it.

i use a JBL Bluetooth speaker only when sitting.. I Bluetooth phone to the stereo while driving and then switch phone to the speaker when parked on the sandbar

Take a look at ECOXGEAR, they offer some interesting options for a self contained speaker bar (no amp needed) that might work. My kids use the JBL Charge 5 IP67 portable - they put it on a floaty or let it sit on the back/front (opposite where we are - LOL).

I picked up a JBL PartyBox 310 for my deck last summer and really like it. They make a couple of smaller versions that would work on a Benny. While the 310 isn’t small, it has wheels and is portable. It can get very loud and has plenty of bass, even outdoors. I highly recommend it and can’t wait to crank it up this summer.

Attachments

• E3316338-DE8A-4E3F-932E-FC77D2371BCC.jpeg
    E3316338-DE8A-4E3F-932E-FC77D2371BCC.jpeg
    93.3 KB · Views: 25
Ok, I am circling back to this post to give an update. I went with the sound bar route, details below! All of this work was done while the boat was in our dock. Made it a little difficult, but no impossible.

I purchased the WetSounds Stealth-6-Core-B passive sound bar and Kicker 48KXMA400.2 amp.

Here's how I installed:
- Ran RCA and remote turn on wire in wire loom, from the helm, through the existing wiring hole, down under the deck, and straight across using electrical glow rods. Once on the port side, I ran the loom behind the rub rail and used clips screwed to the underside of the deck, and up the existing wire hole.
- I connected the remote turn on wire to the spare accessory switch so that I can turn that amp on/off independent of the main sound system.
- Mounted the amp and fuse under the swingback, near the batteries and switch. I used a plastic sheet as a backer for the amp.
- Ran the positive to the battery switch, negative to the battery. (Still need to clean up the battery wires with some zip ties and clips.)
- Mounted the sound bar using the WetSounds bar clamps, with lock washers and BLUE Loctite, so no chance it rattles loose.
- For the sound bar, I ran the speaker cable through the existing tubing that holds the motor battery cables.
- I drilled 2 1/2" holes in the tow bar, one at the top and one at the bottom using cobalt drill bits. No problem drilling, it did take some time and the lake now owns 2 of my drill bits...
- I fished speaker wire through the tow bar and made my connections to the sound bar using heat shrink butt connectors.

This thing ROCKS. It is PERFECT for my needs...and yes, the motor can tilt all the way up and still have clearance under the soundbar. I went to the dock across the way and took a video, but it appears to be too large to upload. I'll see if I can work around it.

It was long a process to do it, as I did all the work by myself. I'm not a pro, but I'm very happy with how it came out. This is a great aftermarket solution to those who want sound behind the boat!

Attachments

• IMG_2129.jpg
    IMG_2129.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2216.jpg
    IMG_2216.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2217.jpg
    IMG_2217.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2218.jpg
    IMG_2218.jpg