Advice for a new owner

rlanicek

Reaction score
I am the new proud owner of a 2012 SF24. My first toon, not my first boat.

This one didn't come with any manuals. While I know a little about boats and boating, is there anything special I need to know about this Bennington? Any maintenance or common upgrades? What do you wish you knew when you first got your boat?

For example, looking in the hold, I can see there is water in the middle toon. Is that a problem? Does it drain out? Does that mean I have a leak?

On another note, the outboard is a 2011 Yamaha 4-stroke 150, model F150TXR. I can't seem to find the owner's manual online. Help?

20220519_151516.jpg

Last edited:
Can you clarify where you see water ? Are you talking about in the center toon floor storage ?

If the boat is left uncovered, it will get some water in there. If you store wet stuff in there, it will hold moisture inside unless you air it out on dry days. It can even condensate. If there's a "pond" of water in there, that's a different issue. I would imagine you have a bilge pump that should/would pump that water out if it's working. Mine has an auto sensor that does that and a manual switch. If the battery is dead, it will not work. One of the guys on here that knows that model better than me will help you out. I doubt you have a leaking toon. It's more likely water is getting in there naturally.

If the boat is left uncovered, it will get some water in there. If you store wet stuff in there, it will hold moisture inside unless you air it out on dry days. It can even condensate. If there's a "pond" of water in there, that's a different issue. I would imagine you have a bilge pump that should/would pump that water out if it's working. Mine has an auto sensor that does that and a manual switch. If the battery is dead, it will not work. One of the guys on here that knows that model better than me will help you out. I doubt you have a leaking toon. It's more likely water is getting in there naturally.
Thanks. I'll shop vac the water out and let it dry then watch it closely in the future. Very well could have been rained on before I got it.

Yup…you should have a bilge switch (may or may not be labeled) potentially on upper right side of the dash. Probably a toggle style switch. Middle is off. One direction will simply be on and the opposite direction will be auto. That will take care of your center pontoon storage water. That area gets damp easily. If sitting for a long time, can get water collecting in there. Bilge pump will knock it out fast.

And as mentioned above, don’t put anything in there you don’t mind getting damp. And if you leave items in there over time, they can get mildew on them. Just an FYI.

Even if the bilge pump is working, it will not remove all the water. Our center storage is only used to put the poles and cover in while on the boat. The boat stays in the water all summer and the condensation in the center tube from KY humidity makes to useless for storage.

I am the new proud owner of a 2012 SF24. My first toon, not my first boat.

This one didn't come with any manuals. While I know a little about boats and boating, is there anything special I need to know about this Bennington? Any maintenance or common upgrades? What do you wish you knew when you first got your boat?

For example, looking in the hold, I can see there is water in the middle toon. Is that a problem? Does it drain out? Does that mean I have a leak?

On another note, the outboard is a 2011 Yamaha 4-stroke 150, model F150TXR. I can't seem to find the owner's manual online. Help?

View attachment 32688
How old are you ? 10? Ha!

Hello
Has anyone had to get to the bilge on the center toon in back by gas tank? I have a new 2022 with a live well in back center above it. With the phone and video I see it down there but how in the world do you get to it? Problem is dealer installed Talons and in order for them to be off I have to have my battery switch to off. Dealer said that I would need to run a wire from the battery to the bilge so it is hot all the time so when switch is in auto it has power to turn on. My understanding is to tap into the brown wire with a hot wire would correct this. They installed Talons and why doesn't Bennington run a hot directly like other manufactures? So anyway, I'm going to do it I just don't know how to get to it. By my phone pictures it looks like it is on a long bracket of some sort. Any help or guidance much appreciated.

Thank you!

New here and have the same rough issue as Skipping Scallop. Struggling to find the access to my bilge and drains within the toon that a normal size person can get to. Bilge pump comes on but is not pumping out all water, even though there was a minimum of 3-4" in the center tune after sitting out for the winter (I know it will not pump it dry, but it shouldn't leave as much as it currently is). Trying to see how to access that area but do not see any clear access points to see if there is a clog in the passage ways between the center tune. There is only about a 1/2" hole drilled in the dividing plate between the storage area and the rear of the center tune. I tried to run some wire through to ensure my holes were not clogged but was unsucessful. Can't really access from the back either as the fuel tank is right there in the tune.

As for water in the center toon storage and rear one next to the fuel tank, I purchased one of these little Whale pumps from Amazon.

I wired a USB end on it, and just use a phone battery pack charger to run it. This thing is a workhorse. The bilge pump gets maybe up to the last two or three inches of water out, and this gets up to the last 1/2 inch or so. Then I can just drop a towel wipe it dry.

1681307406376.png

Hello
Has anyone had to get to the bilge on the center toon in back by gas tank? I have a new 2022 with a live well in back center above it. With the phone and video I see it down there but how in the world do you get to it? Problem is dealer installed Talons and in order for them to be off I have to have my battery switch to off. Dealer said that I would need to run a wire from the battery to the bilge so it is hot all the time so when switch is in auto it has power to turn on. My understanding is to tap into the brown wire with a hot wire would correct this. They installed Talons and why doesn't Bennington run a hot directly like other manufactures? So anyway, I'm going to do it I just don't know how to get to it. By my phone pictures it looks like it is on a long bracket of some sort. Any help or guidance much appreciated.

Thank you!
The dealer re-wired mine. They simply ran a hot from the battery to the helm, bypassing the distribution block and master power switch, and hooked into the existing circuit on the helm.

Center Toon Water: So on my 26L - the center toon storage has holes that allow water to move back to the rear toon compartment where the bilge is located in the same space as the gas tank. However, that means there is always some water in the center toon, as the lip up the those holes does not accommodate . Even though we leave the boat in the lake all summer, the 100 degree plus heat combined with leaving the the center toon storage compartment open when covered, has so far meant no mildew or mold.

Thanks for the responses, all. I still feel like I have an additional issue of all my water not passing through from the front storage toon to the rear section where the bilge pump is. I attached a quick sketch of where I'm thinking the issue is as there is no real way to tell (that I can think of) to ensure the water is flowing freely between all sections of the center toon. I ensured there was no blockage at the front small drain hole and was able to get my glow rods through both plates but as the drain holes are offset, was not able to get straight to the back plate that I cannot access to see if there was a potential clog/blockage there. Any thoughts or remedies to this?Screenshot 2023-04-19 at 5.00.08 PM Large.png

Have you checked with your dealer?

Back