Aluminum cleaner that is safe with Shark Hide?

DiamondDave952

Reaction score
First time owning a new pontoon and didn't want to make that fatal mistake when washing the toons and having them be discolored. I have shark hide applied to the toons from the factory and noticed some water stains on the toons after putting it on the trailer for the end of the season. I've done some internet searches that says to use a 50/50 mixture of vinegar and water to remove the water stains on aluminum. Has anyone had experience using this 50/50 mixture on shark hide toons? Or are there products out there that would remove the water stains without harming the shark hide coating? I don't want to have to reapply the shark hide. Thanks in advance for sharing any insights with this newbie.

not sure about vinegar but do not use acid based products. BTW my experience in the past is shark hide is good for 1 season or maybe 2 at the most.

If you keep it in a slip, the Sharkhide wears off below the water line in about 2 weeks .
I had mine reapplied every other season .

You can email Clint at sharkhide . sharkhide@peaknet.net

Sharkhide reapplication on my 2014 RCW
1631955118755.png

So if you leave your boat in the water all season is it not worth doing. Thanks
I have had it on my previous 3 ,all kept in a slip all season . Even though it wears off below the water line it still makes it easier to clean .
Also on the previous 3, I had it reapplied every other year and plan on doing the same with the new one.
That pic I posted above was taken in the spring of 2019 , it had been in a slip 5 seasons and the toons looked like new

I think the durability of Sharkhide depends on a number of issues.

As mentioned above, whether it sits in the water all season, or on a lift or trailer obviously has a big impact.

However, I think people often overlook “what type of water” it is sitting in as well. Water quality and water type vary so much across the country. Fresh, salt, brackish? Acidic, polluted, dirty, clear, clean, etc?

I often think water quality/type is as big a determinant as anything with how well sharkhide works for folks.

Our boat sat 2 season on a lift and 2 on its sea legs (and this season in the shop for repairs!). Toons look pretty darn good after 4 seasons on the water. I have never reapplied our Sharkhide. All original.

Sharkhide toons might look like crap after awhile but it's a must if you keep it in the water. Like Jack said it's easier to keep clean or the crap is easier to wipe off if Sharkhide is applied ....

Sharkhide toons might look like crap after awhile but it's a must if you keep it in the water. Like Jack said it's easier to keep clean or the crap is easier to wipe off if Sharkhide is applied ....
I have Ultra legs (Sea Legs competitor) on my pontoon and is raised out of the water when not in use. There are some water spots on the back where waves and/or rain splash that has left some spots. My buddy said it's no big deal but my OCD says I have to deal with it.

I have Ultra legs (Sea Legs competitor) on my pontoon and is raised out of the water when not in use. There are some water spots on the back where waves and/or rain splash that has left some spots. My buddy said it's no big deal but my OCD says I have to deal with it.
Yeah a little bit of a vinegar/water solution should take it right off...

not sure about vinegar but do not use acid based products. BTW my experience in the past is shark hide is good for 1 season or maybe 2 at the most.

Im on 5th year and other than scuffed spots my Sharkhide looks new above the waterline. We have over 550 “moving” hours.

Back