Anchor Size ??

ErinnDan

Reaction score
Looking for an anchor that will hold my 20SLX better than the 10 lb. one that my dealer included.

Would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks.

I'll look tomorrow and see what size my dealer included with ours. We have a 22 sslx. If someone can also add the best way to tie one to the line that would help as well. Thanks ErinnDan for letting me slip that in as well. I've been too nervous to tie ours up yet for fear of bringing up just the end or a rope!

Here's a video of the anchor I'm talking about:

I've wrote about this a few times. Get the Slide Anchor Box Anchor. Best anchor by far. I got the large but I have a bigger/heavier boat:

http://www.slideanch...41-c5e749bb8688
I have the small box anchor for my 2275 outboard and it works very well. We don't have currents but it does get fairly rough at times.

I've been using 18 lb. river anchors on each end while fishing so the boat can't pivot. If I had to choose a single anchor it would be that slide box anchor.

I'm in need of an anchor for my new 2250 RCL so this is great information. Has anyone used or had experience with the Richter anchor? Would I need the 18lb for my size boat? Looking for recommendations. I like the stowability of the Box anchor but have not heard of it before. Looking for any all suggestions. Thanks.

That Slide Anchor Box Anchor I have also comes with a really nice thick bag/pouch with a velcro top to keep it in as well so you don't scratch the heck out of where you stow it inside your boat. It's big enough for the anchor line and everything.

Remember guys, it's not the size of the anchor,but how it holds the boat!!! Hehe

Thanks Keithkz, just ordered a Slide Box Anchor. Got the small one as my boat is quite a bit smaller than yours, It should be plenty of anchor for my Bennington. I will let everyone know how it works. Thanks again guys!

What do you recommend to connect to the rode? I see lots of options and ropes with swivels, chains, etc. Looking for logical time tested possibilities. Will be used in fresh water only and in lift when not in water. Thanks.

Thanks Keithkz. Do you think a small is OK for my 2250 RCL with a 90hp Yamaha? Is it worth the extra $$ for the stainless anchor?

Cork, small box anchor is a misnomer. Should be called a large. When I got mine I thought they sent the wrong one. Steve

Cork, small box anchor is a misnomer. Should be called a large. When I got mine I thought they sent the wrong one. Steve
Same here, the small is quite a beast, plenty for 24' on most waterways.

I also have the small box anchor. It is quite large! Holds like a son-of-a-gun. Last year we had two pontoons rafted together, the box anchor seemed to hold boats in place. Other nearby boats were frequently resetting their anchors.

There is a video under Lesson #5 "Todays Lesson is.....", related to methods of tying different knots. There are several knots in there that will hold the rode to the anchor!

Good Luck!

Dan

What do you recommend to connect to the rode? I see lots of options and ropes with swivels, chains, etc. Looking for logical time tested possibilities. Will be used in fresh water only and in lift when not in water. Thanks.
Thanks Keithkz. Do you think a small is OK for my 2250 RCL with a 90hp Yamaha? Is it worth the extra $$ for the stainless anchor?
Small should be just fine for your boat. I did not buy the stainless....waste of $$$ if you're only using it in fresh water but sure, it looks pretty.

I use this line for both dock line from my dock to boat and for my anchors (1/2 inch):

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Braided-Nylon-Anchor-Line-1/2-x-150&i=74836&aID=602A2&merchID=4006

Love love love my small box anchor! I have an anchor buddy attached and it holds incredibly well! I like the anchor buddy when coving out for the gentle movement and swing.....it always returns to the same place but the waves allow the anchor buddy to stretch and provide a little movement.....no chain required!

Corkboy, Box anchor says it does not require a chain rode. Might make it work even better but haven't tried it. Steve

The loop on my anchor line just has a shackle between it and the loop on the box anchor, no chain at all.

Back