We just bought an 2026 Bennington 24 MFB. Is there a storage box that I could install on the stern for the anchor? I was thinking that it would be a lot easier than pulling it out from under the seat and possibly tearing the vinyl. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
This is a pontoon forum. Your link says that anchoring from the rear could cause the boat to roll over and capsize. In addition water seeping into the boat could swamp the boat.
Really??
This is a pontoon forum. Your link says that anchoring from the rear could cause the boat to roll over and capsize. In addition water seeping into the boat could swamp the boat.
Really??
Ok, let me rephrase first I have owned boats before but on lakes. What I’m looking for are alternatives ways to store the anchors bow and stern instead of storing under the seats. Sorry for the confusion.
The BEST answer I have found is a canvas tote bag - SO MUCH EASIER to get out of a seat box and leaves the decks open, a priority for us (I prefer the tote without the plastic - does not hold water). During weekend use, I can leave it on the bow, never an issue unless WOT in chop. I have two, one for the small one for the medium. I often anchor from BOTH the Bow and Stern, and take some exception to the stated risk of a tritoon having any issues anchoring from the Stern - it is often a much better method for us because of swing in coves (it leaves the engine in the deep part, not swinging into the reeds or rocks). Now, if heavy winds / waives kick in - then absolutely the Bow is the right place to start (though again when we get caught in monsoons, we anchor from both). Enjoy!
I went to Goodwill and bought a large duffel/athletic bag. It's big enough to hold the anchor line and chain. Start by fastening the bitter end of the anchor line inside the bag then carefully lay the line and then the chain lengthwise in the bag. Then zip it up.
My Danforth is too big to fit in the bag and sometimes I use a different anchor. Just attach your anchor of choice to the chain coming out of the bag. The chain/line comes neatly out of the bag.
The bag is not water tight so the line drys just fine. Leave it unzipped if you like until dry.
The only time I anchor from the stern if after setting a bow anchor and then only if the wind is changing causing the boat to pivot on the bow anchor. The stern anchor isn't really "set" like when deploying a bow anchor.