Anchor system

Oregonizm

Reaction score
Has anybody invented the perfect anchor system for their pontoon yet?? I can't figure out why Bennington doesn't offer the perfect system but I sure didn't see it on the options list when I ordered my new Bennie. I don't need to anchor in a current or the ocean or anything like that but I do want to drop anchor in the middle of the lake so we can swim, jetski, have water fights, etc. Also there will be times when we're camping nearby on shore and will want to anchor the toon overnight. So the ideal anchor system would be some sort of hand or electric winch that hides under one of the seats and when you open the seat the winch tower hinges up so you can operate the crank handle. The anchor rope would exit the underseat storage space, via a system of roller guides, and plunge to the bottom of the lake after going through some sort of anchor storage fitting that would be mounted under the floor between the pontoons, probably near the front of the boat so it would not be a hinderance to planing out the boat when the anchor is in the stored position. When you are ready to pull anchor, you pop the seat open, hinge the winch tower up, crank the winch to wind up the rope until the anchor is drawn into it's storage position. The dogs on the winch will hold it in that poisition until you are ready to drop anchor again. This system would eliminate pulling up a muddy rope and anchor onto your deck and then having to move the whole ugly mess to a storage spot on your boat, potentially damaging carpet and upholstery on the way. What do ya'all think? Is there already one of these systems out there and available?

Has anybody invented the perfect anchor system for their pontoon yet?? I can't figure out why Bennington doesn't offer the perfect system but I sure didn't see it on the options list when I ordered my new Bennie. I don't need to anchor in a current or the ocean or anything like that but I do want to drop anchor in the middle of the lake so we can swim, jetski, have water fights, etc. Also there will be times when we're camping nearby on shore and will want to anchor the toon overnight. So the ideal anchor system would be some sort of hand or electric winch that hides under one of the seats and when you open the seat the winch tower hinges up so you can operate the crank handle. The anchor rope would exit the underseat storage space, via a system of roller guides, and plunge to the bottom of the lake after going through some sort of anchor storage fitting that would be mounted under the floor between the pontoons, probably near the front of the boat so it would not be a hinderance to planing out the boat when the anchor is in the stored position. When you are ready to pull anchor, you pop the seat open, hinge the winch tower up, crank the winch to wind up the rope until the anchor is drawn into it's storage position. The dogs on the winch will hold it in that poisition until you are ready to drop anchor again. This system would eliminate pulling up a muddy rope and anchor onto your deck and then having to move the whole ugly mess to a storage spot on your boat, potentially damaging carpet and upholstery on the way. What do ya'all think? Is there already one of these systems out there and available?
I have often thought the same thing. Almost started to build one under a front bench seat but chickend out. I think it would be a profitable option for any boat mfg.

Go up to the search space at top of screen and type in "power anchor" there is a topic called that and it might have what your looking for. Sorry, I would post a link directly to it, but don't have the foggiest clue how! Cheers!

Derrick

This isn't the answer to your question but, get a box anchor. It will be the last anchor you ever buy unless you lose it. It does not matter what kind of bottom, now much wind, or just about anything else. They do their job as an anchor should.

I have one box and one chene type anchor. I use the box anchor 100% of the time. I only use the chene type anchor when I need two out in different directions to keep the boat from moving around too much.

Hope this helps.

andy

I've never anchored any of my boats in the middle of our river. Our river is also very deep and wide. Come to think about it, I've never used an anchor in fresh water for any reason.

I just prefer to tie my inner tube to a ski rope, and have the boat pull me along with it.

This isn't the answer to your question but, get a box anchor. It will be the last anchor you ever buy unless you lose it. It does not matter what kind of bottom, now much wind, or just about anything else. They do their job as an anchor should.

I have one box and one chene type anchor. I use the box anchor 100% of the time. I only use the chene type anchor when I need two out in different directions to keep the boat from moving around too much.

Hope this helps.

andy
X2...Box anchor is the next best thing. I leave my anchor open (box shape) and store it under the front seat next to the bow gate. When I pull it up from the bottom of the lake it will have mud on it so I bought a cheap back-scratcher and just scratch the mud off then submerge the anchor a few times and it's all clean again. It's fairly simple.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks interesting but I would imagine that the anchor is suspended and would have concern about that. Would like to hear comments from the pros

Last edited by a moderator:
Back