Anchors

Jaws

Reaction score
So, been looking into the box anchor everyone seems to like on this forum, and stumbled on a video demonstrating the mantis anchor. Has anyone on here used this anchor, and if so, what are your thoughts about it?

Though I'm not a box anchor owner, I saw the same video linked to another member's video demonstrating their box anchor. The Mantus is the new hot product in the offshore community. That being said, it looks to hold really well in deep sand/mud. I wonder about its holding ability on the rocky, debris, or clay bottoms based on its design.

I have the box anchor and like how well it works. The mantus anchor looks like it would work fine, the problem I see for me is it looks big and clunky so it would take up a lot of space and be harder to store.

Last edited by a moderator:
The mantus looks like it needs lot of rode to set properly.  The great thing about the box is how well it sets with little rope out.  The video shows the box not setting but the pull is at  ground level which doesn't happen unless you let out hundreds feet of anchor line. 

I bought the slide anchor which is a box anchor and love it. After fighting with the freebie anchor my dealer threw in and having to reset it multiple times, and yes I do know how to set it, I bought the slide anchor based on a friends rec. I can say here in Texas on the muddy bottom lakes it is amazing. Throw it out, give it some slack, bump the boat in and out of reverse and your done for the day.

Had a Danforth, switched to a box anchor and I'm not looking back, folds up and stores in a nice bag (that it came in)and work with a 2:1 scope with multiple boats hooked to mine, even in the wind!

I use a box anchor based on recommendations from this forum. The compact design is great for stowage but if you anchor on a weedy bottom look out! Almost had to cut it loose the other day as I could barely lift it as it had easily a ten foot mass of weeds attached. Cleated it off several times on the way. Took approx 20 min to retrieve which is far less than ideal. Excellent anchor just the same.

Was it sitting on the weeds until it grabbed? I have weeds in our lake and was curious how it would do. Just weigh them down and bite, or dredge a path through them creating a big tail

Was it sitting on the weeds until it grabbed? I have weeds in our lake and was curious how it would do. Just weigh them down and bite, or dredge a path through them creating a big tail
It was particularly windy that day and I expect as you suggest dredged a path through the weeds creating a big tail. This has happened before but not to this extent. I also let out a fair amount of rode, (4:1), more than normal.

Perhaps there is a trick to setting this anchor in weeds. Always open to more education!

Adding to the knowledge base here.

Wasn't getting it done with the dealer-provided 8lb danforth. River bottom is mostly silt/mud but get into some sand, rock and shell bed on occasion. In warm weather there is grass in most sheltered areas under 6 feet. With wind and tide ripping, the danforth wasn't holding in many deeper non-grass situations so I upgraded to a Mantus.

Went with a 13-pounder and no surprise it has been much, much better in holding bottom. In sand and mud it digs in like an auger! I still have trouble hooking up on deep shell beds but 1) I don't have any chain in the rode, 2) my scope is limited in deeper water (3:1 at best, I have 80' of nylon rope) and 3) arguably I shouldn't be dredging up a shell bed in the first place. But on calmer days it hooks up enough to keep any drift very limited.

All in all very pleased with the purchase. You can see in the photo how much more substantial the Mantus is vs danforth.
4AD480EC-8A1B-4FC9-901F-3F09C01C2B56.jpeg

Adding to the knowledge base here.

Wasn't getting it done with the dealer-provided 8lb danforth. River bottom is mostly silt/mud but get into some sand, rock and shell bed on occasion. In warm weather there is grass in most sheltered areas under 6 feet. With wind and tide ripping, the danforth wasn't holding in many deeper non-grass situations so I upgraded to a Mantus.

Went with a 13-pounder and no surprise it has been much, much better in holding bottom. In sand and mud it digs in like an auger! I still have trouble hooking up on deep shell beds but 1) I don't have any chain in the rode, 2) my scope is limited in deeper water (3:1 at best, I have 80' of nylon rope) and 3) arguably I shouldn't be dredging up a shell bed in the first place. But on calmer days it hooks up enough to keep any drift very limited.

All in all very pleased with the purchase. You can see in the photo how much more substantial the Mantus is vs danforth.
View attachment 29333
That arm on top doesn't bend eh? Do you have any trouble storing that anchor?

I am a big fan of the slide anchor (box anchor). Our 28 mile long lake has different bottoms at different locations and I have never had it fail

That arm on top doesn't bend eh? Do you have any trouble storing that anchor?
It does not bend, so it makes for a tight fit in the bow seat locker but it does make it BARELY. The center storage would have no problems.

A 10-lb might be the perfect balance between size and function for our toons - this 13 pounder has holding power for a heavier 25+ glass boat but I was ok with being a little oversized given some of my fishing conditions. The Potomac can rip on certain days.

I am a big fan of the slide anchor (box anchor). Our 28 mile long lake has different bottoms at different locations and I have never had it fail
I looked hard at the boxes but was turned off by the amount of grass they can pick up and drag. My 44 year old back is fading fast!

It does not bend, so it makes for a tight fit in the bow seat locker but it does make it BARELY. The center storage would have no problems.

A 10-lb might be the perfect balance between size and function for our toons - this 13 pounder has holding power for a heavier 25+ glass boat but I was ok with being a little oversized given some of my fishing conditions. The Potomac can rip on certain days.
Check out the Digger anchor. Had it for 12 yrs now. Has been excellent everywhere we have ever anchored. Doesn't need a chain and only a 2 to 1 ratio.....

Check out the Digger anchor. Had it for 12 yrs now. Has been excellent everywhere we have ever anchored. Doesn't need a chain and only a 2 to 1 ratio.....

Nice.
Mines looking rough and tired of the bottom crap coming up with it.
Ordered one.
Thanks Daril!

You're welcome! You'll love it!
Got it from “Wally’s” with my 10% discount. 15# unit for $72 shipped!
Think I might spray the blades black. Not sure about that gold color on my red/black combo. ;):p

Back