Anchors

That's a better price than I paid back in 2008! Make sure you post a pic after painting it black......

Mud bottom on our lake so we use a mushroom. Works good for us.
My lake is muddy/sandy too...wondering about a digger anchor for the bow and then a mushroom for the stern if needed on windy days

Last edited:
Check out the Digger anchor. Had it for 12 yrs now. Has been excellent everywhere we have ever anchored. Doesn't need a chain and only a 2 to 1 ratio.....
What are you attaching to your digger, since there is no chain? 3/8" docking line tied to the end? Seems like im missing something here

My lake is muddy/sandy too...wondering about a digger anchor for the bow and then a mushroom for the stern if needed on windy days
I thought about two as well. I used to try to have our boat directly over the anchor but the boat would just spin in circles. I learn if I let a lot of line out at angle the boat wouldn’t spin. Even in high winds.

What are you attaching to your digger, since there is no chain? 3/8" docking line tied to the end? Seems like im missing something here
First I have an anchor rope that is pre spliced with a stainless steel thimble. This thimble is installed on a stainless steel shackle that then is attached to the top of the Digger anchor. A strong proven system I've had since 2008.

First I have an anchor rope that is pre spliced with a stainless steel thimble. This thimble is installed on a stainless steel shackle that then is attached to the top of the Digger anchor. A strong proven system I've had since 2008.

My existing has a short chain with s/s shackle to anchor. I’m going to let it as is and just hook the digger to it. I know Digger says you don’t need it, but I’m sure it’s not an issue having it either. If I didn’t already have it, I‘d have what you have and be plenty satisfied.

Those of you using shackles, I would highly advise using a zip tie on it to prevent the "screw" from coming loose. Either that, or religiously check it for tightness each and every time you use it.

Yup we have the Digger in the front and a Chene anchor for the rear. We use it when other boats are relatively close and don't want the pendulum effect. http://www.cheneanchor.com/

Thanks for the recommendation.
You're welcome! Our rear anchor was sold with our boat last spring. So this one replaced it. I like this one because of it's relatively compact size but big bite. This anchor doesn't require a chain either. Walmart.com had the best price.

Question I need some help with.
22’ pontoon. Dropped a 20lb mushroom anchor off the front this week in 10mph winds at the lake. Depth was about 15’, so let out some extra length but not too much as the mushroom works of suction vs digging. It did a good job slowing the drift, but we did drift over the course of 20 minutes, as expected.

Wondering peoples experience with using a second mushroom, same size, on the stern side as a secondary anchor to the primary on the bow. I’m thinking this would clearly help drift, slow down spinning in circles, and be very manageable as the mushroom is easy to store on the boat, doesn’t require a chain, and it coated to prevents tears on the boat.

my lake is muddy/Sandy at the bottom so the mushroom style is an affordable option that IF I ever lost it, I wouldn’t be out a bunch of cash like some of these nice box and digger anchors I’ve read about on here.

Any thoughts on a double mushroom? Thanks

Certainly couldn't hurt. Some boats on our lake use two anchors on windy days. I kicked around a second myself. We use a mushroom and found if we let out more line we won't spin or drift.

Certainly couldn't hurt. Some boats on our lake use two anchors on windy days. I kicked around a second myself. We use a mushroom and found if we let out more line we won't spin or drift.

How much are you letting out vs depth? We did about 2-1, maybe needing more

How much are you letting out vs depth? We did about 2-1, maybe needing more
I don’t have tons of experience with anchors but what I have found online it shows for most standard anchors you should be using a 5:1 to 7:1 rode (rope) to depth ratio. The box anchors only require a 2:1 ratio and they don’t require a chain to set. It’s a bit more expensive but we went with a colored anchor so if we ever did loose it it would be easy to find (will mostly be on shallow lakes in Minnesota with sand and mud bottoms). I’m going to use a clawed mushroom for the other end to keep it from rotating.
You might want to consider a different type of anchor with more line instead of another mushroom. Something that digs in if you typically are dealing with wind and current. Keep us posted and good luck!

Question I need some help with.
22’ pontoon. Dropped a 20lb mushroom anchor off the front this week in 10mph winds at the lake. Depth was about 15’, so let out some extra length but not too much as the mushroom works of suction vs digging. It did a good job slowing the drift, but we did drift over the course of 20 minutes, as expected.

Wondering peoples experience with using a second mushroom, same size, on the stern side as a secondary anchor to the primary on the bow. I’m thinking this would clearly help drift, slow down spinning in circles, and be very manageable as the mushroom is easy to store on the boat, doesn’t require a chain, and it coated to prevents tears on the boat.

my lake is muddy/Sandy at the bottom so the mushroom style is an affordable option that IF I ever lost it, I wouldn’t be out a bunch of cash like some of these nice box and digger anchors I’ve read about on here.

Any thoughts on a double mushroom? Thanks
I'm thinking your going to need at least a simple fluke anchor as your main anchor that digs in your lake bed to hold your boat regardless of wind or waves. Maybe you can use the mushroom as your secondary stern anchor......

I'm thinking your going to need at least a simple fluke anchor as your main anchor that digs in your lake bed to hold your boat regardless of wind or waves. Maybe you can use the mushroom as your secondary stern anchor......
Yeah, maybe a digger anchor would work as the primary and a mushroom for the back, like you mentioned

Agree with Daril on anchor and LakelifeMN on rode/line.

I just use a simple fluke on our somewhat sandy/muddy lake bottom. Possibly similar conditions to your lake. It is nothing fancy, but it holds us great with that type of lake bottom on our shallow lake. They are also cheaper to purchase too. I think with a digging fluke anchor and enough line/rode (you were not using enough in your description above), you will be fine. Probably will not even need the secondary.

Key is 3:1-5:1 rode in those conditions. I think you can get away with about 3:1 to be honest with the fluke in those bottom conditions. Deploy anchor and then let the boat drift back with the water current/wind from the drop point. After you have the approximate length of rode/line, tie it up.

You should stay stable at that point. If you don’t, you’d always have that mushroom anchor as a back up. However, I don’t think you’d need it most of the time. I don’t even have a second anchor, and end up just fine with our set up.

I shake me head when I see a raftup of 6-8 boats in 60' of water and every anchor line is going straight down and they wonder why they are drifting. I just stay away.

I have a box anchor and on a muck / weed bottom lake here in south michigan it does not hold in large weeds. I put it out to fish in 15 ft of water a few days ago with 30ft of line and it would drag after filling with weeds. Next I tried all 50 ft of line out, and it still would not hold against 20+ mph winds that day. When the anchor tries to set the teeth fill up with weeds, and it becomes a bottom dragger with 30 extra lbs of vegetation attached to it. When I get out deeper with out the vegetation it does fine. I still suggest the anchor, just not for a weed bottom lake.

If you do some shopping around, it can me had for 80 bucks, the 19lb version. The quality was good for the one I received, I would suggest buying from the link below. I don't think it matters who you buy it from they are all pretty much the same, made in china anchors. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08X24FZM...abc_Z2BCKZ211Y4P7SEZMQYH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Back