Another Question From the Newb, Fish/Depth Finder

patcraver

Reaction score
Hello Again, I have been researching fish/depth finders since our boat didn't come with one. I was thinking of getting one installed from the dealer but I figured the installation could cost and arm and a leg. Has anyone had one installed from the dealer and what is an estimate of what I should expect to pay?

No, but I have some advice you didn't ask for...

I don't like where mine is mounted. The steering wheel cuts right through my line of sight, making it hard to use. My advice is you spend at least as much time trying to figure out where to put it, as you do figuring out who should install it. Some of the guys here have mounted theirs on brackets so they are up off the dash where you can see them. Sorry I didn't answer your question.

I'm not sure on street costs, we just ordered our with the boat. I agree that the stock position (on an s series) is in a bad place, however, I don't like when there are extra holes in the helm and there is a small tv hanging off it. Just personal preference though.

Are you wanting to know if there are fish down there and what the bottom contour is or are you just wanting to know how deep it is?

A fish finder was Standard on my boat but I would just as soon have just a depth gauge because I don't fish. But even though I don't fish, I'll probabley enjoy seeing the contour of the bottom. I also scuba so it may be handy for that as well.

Guess to answer your question. Decide what you want it to do for you. Size and cost may be a factor. Garmin and Lowrance are probably the most popular. Mounting is pretty easy. Figure out where you want to mount the unit. Run the transducer wire to the bracket on the back of the toon, hook up the power and ground.

There are lots of guys on here who can help you along,

Thanks again everyone! Toon'r, I will be doing a lot of fishing from the boat but I'm more interested in just depth rather than the contour of the bottom. I would like to install myself but if I had to drill holes in the boat I didn't want to do that myself. Is that really all there is to it, just mounting the device and running the wire to a pre-existing bracket? If thats all it takes I will definately do this myself and use the money saved on installation to purchase a better device.

If possible, I would mount using a bracket. Once you drill a hole to fit a unit in, you are now stuck with a gaping hole in the helm. I'd much rather have a slightly unsightly bracket that I can remove than a 5" diagonal hole I have now.

I just removed the Garmin 300C that the guy who used to own my boat installed. I bought a Garmin 740S from West Marine along with the Garmin transducer (the airmar p66 hit the ladder). I'm going to install it on top of the helm to the right in a NAVPOD PP4401. This unit is depth, fish and map, 7" screen. WM bought up the remaining units when they were superceded by the 741. The maps are on a SD card for $99.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_11151_10001_263729_-1?ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=263729&cid=sc_googlepla&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CIzt3_Dm1rwCFSYOOgodtwkAeA

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_11151_10001_1040877_-1?ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=1040877&cid=sc_googlepla&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CLWs56vn1rwCFcY7OgodiioA0A

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=1130772&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50157&subdeptNum=50177&classNum=50182

You can get your electrical schematic from Bennington and go for it. I'd guess a dealer would ding you 3-4 hours labor at $100+ per hour

IMHO one shortcoming with Bennington is their helm design doesn't lend itself to anything but low end fish finders.

the Garmin wiring is a harness from the unit to the transducer - mounted on back of starboard pontoon. The harness runs in to the helm and you have to tie in orange for accessory, red for power, black for ground, then run the harness plug to thru the helm to the unit. 

http://www.manualowl.com/m/Garmin/GPSMAP-740%2F740s/Manual/133541

010-10272-10 is a transducer that I'm using. Not as good for the sonar feature but I have to raise the ladder to get the Airmar P66 to fit.

med_gallery_4140_319_2449041.jpg
med_gallery_4140_319_1791868.jpg
med_gallery_4140_319_1926008.jpg
     work,s good and you can see it when your running at 35 / 40. cost 825.00

Last edited by a moderator:
It appears that the standard Bennington mounting location is more of an afterthought. I'm using a RAM mount for mine, mounted on a flat area up and to the right of the steering wheel. RAM mounts are very sturdy. With cable ties and plastic wire loom, it shouldn't be a big problem running the transducer cable from the stern to the helm. I just noticed ness3 posted while I was posting...like his!

I agree with others. Figure out what you want to do with it then get it properly installed. I can't help you with the rigging cost but in my opinion it is worth paying to have it done right.

There is a picture of how ours is mounted in the gallery.

I purchased my Garmin from the GPS Store in FL and made a deal with the dealer to install as part of the purchase pkg. It is on a Ram mount on the left side of the helm so it doesn't interfere with the mooring cover/

So I decided to order the Raymarine Dragonfly with Navionics Gold from Amazon. I have read a lot of good reviews about this device and it seems very easy to use for someone with little experience. Does anyone have any experience or input on this device?

I'm sure each dealer is different when it comes to pricing on rigging. That said, not only did my dealer give me what I considered a great price on the purchase, he also offered to rig my accessories for the cost of materials. He installed the trolling motor plug, and the wiring to it, all in flex conduit. He installed two 29 series batteries, the on-board charger, and a plug in for it on the fence at the helm. He installed the transducer on the stern and ran the cable to the helm, and wrapped the exposed cable in a muskrat-proof cover. I'm installing the trolling motor and depthfinder myself, but he offered to do that too. I did buy all this from the dealer, but I did so because he was priced lower than Cabela's  and Bass Pro Shops for the same items. Most dealers would charge extra for the labor, sometimes you have to haggle on the extras.

At the time I bought my boat it had the Echo100 on it and I wanted better.  I had gone to West Marine and looked at all of theirs and settled on the Garmin 531s.  Talked to my dealer about it and he asked how much was the Garmin?  Told him it was $600 dollars and he said he would match the price but I would have to pay for installation as I wanted it installed in dash.  Ended up paying $1100 for it so the install was $500.  Sounds like a lot but I was there part of the time they were working on it, it did take some time.  Perhaps Carl will pitch in and tell what it took as I believe that he installed his himself 

Pics are in my gallery of the install, and Mark, I would have installed yours for $500.00 and taken you out for a steak dinner.      :D

I purchased my Garmin from the GPS Store in FL and made a deal with the dealer to install as part of the purchase pkg. It is on a Ram mount on the left side of the helm so it doesn't interfere with the mooring cover/
dasalmon: How do you like the mount on the left side of helm? Does it interfere with your knees or the walkway? We will soon be doing this and the comment about it being so far away if on the right is a concern. Maybe not a big deal though. Also wondered about the mooring cover being unsnappable if on the right? (May not know what I'm talking about! We don't even have the boat yet!)

I am very happy with the location. It is convenient to operate but out of my line of sight for boat operation. Tried to add a picture but not sure why it is not showing. Its not a very good picture but it is in my gallery. The unit does not impede the walkway or my sitting at the helm in any way.

Back