another question: Insurance

Tailgate

Reaction score
Anyone have any recommendations for insurance?  I've priced State Farm at $471, Progressive at $212, Geico was $270 for pretty much same coverage.  I have all my insurance with State Farm and I wonder why they are so high given that I've been with them for over 20 years.

I went to AARP and the Hartford Ins. Much cheaper. Less than $200 for the Benny  Put car and house with them as well. Big savings. Insurance Co. don't care about loyalty. Have a claim and they'll drop you at the drop of a hat. Being proud that you've  stayed with them is good, but what has it gotten you? Go shopping.

BoatUS has great prices and better coverage from what I found. Specifically when it comes to spills and the amount they pay if the boat is a loss. State Farm just said it would be the current value and BoatUS does a pre-agreed hull value. Really cheap to add unlimited towing to the plan as well. 

Progressive is the best deal I have found.  They will give you a break on your premium during layup (winter).  Some do this and some don't.

X2 On Progressive.  Best prices I could find.

thanks for the info... high pond, regarding loyalty, I shopped others for auto/home about 6 months ago..State Farm had best rates due to longevity with them.  I've heard so many good things about USAA but they were higher too.  I plan to shop rates annually because you never know when someone will offer a better deal and good service

I'm a USAA member and they partner with Progressive, so I was initially inclined to go with them.  However, I went with BoatUS since their prices were a little better, I liked the towing package for our area, and the locals at the marina spoke highly of their customer service (which I have now experienced first hand, but that's another story....)  

Boat US

Most companies don't have the environmental hazard clause.....if, so they are not even close to Boat US

Another vote for Boat US.  We pay $340 a year.  (if you have taken the boaters safety class on their website & pass the test, you get an additional discount)  It also comes with your membership which give us savings on fuel and other things.  It's like AAA for boating!

Last edited by a moderator:
YUP. Boat US.

If you just called around for prices without actually asking to see a policy AND the exclusions AND you read it cover to cover, then don't bother posting your rate here.

It's like saying you bought a pontoon boat for less than the next guy without explaining that what you bought was an entry level Suntracker when the other guy has a Benny Q.

The BoatUS environmental coverage is outstanding. So is the agreed value coverage. Not saying they are the only ones that provide that coverage, I'm only saying the BoatUS policy is the Benny Q of boat insurance. If you want the Suntracker policy, that's fine, but know what it is that you are getting and don't mislead others if you don't know what you have.

If however you've done your homework and you think your policy really is comparable to BoatUS, at half the price, then I'm all ears.

BoatUS here .....

I've had State Farm for everything else for 35 years. Switched to BoatUS for the Benny, no comparison really. So far so good.

BoatUS for us, too. They had better rate and better coverage.

+1 Boat US

One of the key things with BoatUS is the $854,000 spill liability coverage. If you don't have BoatUS or are looking at others, verify this coverage. My original Allstate had some ridiculous low number, I believe in the hundreds.

Even though it cost me a little more, it's worth it for this coverage. Especially since I'm in a State Park. I can't imagine the cleanup cost for a spill there.

Boat US here best rates I could find. Been with them for 15 years

Had Progressive on previous boat, got BoatUS now..cheaper premium and better coverages

BoatUS here.

Back