Any advice on adding a new stereo?

lostpacket

Reaction score
Purchased this one (https://www.crutchfield.com/p_917MSRA210/Fusion-MS-RA210.html?omnews=4079790) because we want satellite radio. I have some questions before I jump in.

1. Is there anything special I need to be concerned about regarding the wiring? I have the standard Kicker KMC1 with the premium package. Can I just splice wires and I should be good?
  2. The current hole is round but the new stereo is a rectangle. Should I just try to make the hole larger, can I remove that panel to fit it in, can I get a new one?
IMG_6014.jpegg917MSRA210-F.jpeg

Cant you simply download satellite radio from a phone or pad and then Bluetooth it to the HU you have?

If thats not the way you want to go there are other HUs that will fit the existing hole in your dash, once you go bigger you can’t go back to small without it looking different.
Rockford, Wetsounds and others make some nice units and so do a few others. You could simply install a HU somewhere out of the and run a remote to your helm and still have all the functionality you may need? Im just saying you have options and there’s a ton of experience and even more opinions here to stimulate your brain.

Good luck

I have down loaded several apps, including Sirius XM. (It's free to subscribers). Then simply blue tooth to the head unit, as described in the post above. Simple, easy, cheap. You have the phone as a "remote" to control song selection, volume, etc.

I have a Rockford Fosgate pmx-2 that should fit right in that hole and I like it pretty well, existing wiring should be sufficient as long as you aren't adding amps.

Many excellent suggestions. If you are boating where you get good cell reception then it is most economical to get a SiriusXM app on your phone and stream it to your head unit. If you don’t want to cut into your dash the Rockford PMX-2 is the upgraded head unit Bennington goes with now and will mount in a 3” round hole. If you want a SiriusXM receiver for when you don’t get cell service the PMX-3 includes the built in satellite receiver. If you have your heart set on the Fusion head unit you could contact Bennington for a replacement panel for your dash. Good luck!

My family has had Sirius/XM for over 20 years and with Spotify and Pandora and the others we are not renewing our current subscriptions when they expire. Again, my .02

There is no cell reception, so streaming isn't an option. We've been downloading music and using BT but when we have guests they often don't want to hear the playlists we have downloaded so we use FM radio which is infected with stupid ads and static. We have no problem paying for satellite radio for 5 months out of the year, the convenience is well worth it to us.

I'm not stuck on this brand/radio it's just the best one I could find that was easy to setup with sirius and didn't look like it was built in the 90's

There is no cell reception, so streaming isn't an option. We've been downloading music and using BT but when we have guests they often don't want to hear the playlists we have downloaded so we use FM radio which is infected with stupid ads and static. We have no problem paying for satellite radio for 5 months out of the year, the convenience is well worth it to us.

I'm not stuck on this brand/radio it's just the best one I could find that was easy to setup with sirius and didn't look like it was built in the 90's
As I suggested check this out. Bennington uses it as the upgraded head unit and it's not bad. If the hole in the dash is a 3 inch hole this would fit with no modifications. I would definitely recommend getting an app though to give you better sound.

The Kicker KMC 5 will also fit in the same size hole already in your dash and does have Sirius/XM capability. WetSounds and Rockford Fosgate also have good units that will slip right in. You’ll have mount antenna for it as well.

The Fusion unit in your post is a decent unit but if you have concerns about cutting holes in your boat I would look at other HU’s.

Lastly, my boat, my music is what’s playing.

I think I'm going to try and get that panel out, seal the front with tape and fill the holes with epoxy resin. Once that's cured I'll sand it smooth and either paint it all the same color or put a vinyl sheet over it. This should give me a smooth new surface to cut my hole in. Depending on the method (paint vs sticker) I might end up making the other panels match or just leave that radio was as an accent panel.

I have a few emails out about blank panels but I don't have high hopes I will find it and/or it will be reasonably priced.

As I suggested check this out. Bennington uses it as the upgraded head unit and it's not bad. If the hole in the dash is a 3 inch hole this would fit with no modifications. I would definitely recommend getting an app though to give you better sound.

More expensive, I would have to measure if it would fit though, it looks like it would be close on the width and height with the other ports on the right.

Why not just take a piece of acrylic, cut to match panel, and put vinyl sheet over it? Much quicker and easier.

Why not just take a piece of acrylic, cut to match panel, and put vinyl sheet over it? Much quicker and easier.
Good idea, I (maybe mistakenly) figured the panel isn't standard size and has some round sides or weird shapes. Once I get it out it might be easier to just cut a replacement!

Good idea, I (maybe mistakenly) figured the panel isn't standard size and has some round sides or weird shapes. Once I get it out it might be easier to just cut a replacement!
Yeah, if your thinking about just using vinyl to cover, that’s what I would do. You can soften the edges before wrapping. I’d take the existing color to a vinyl shop, they may be able to scan the cover and get a close color match.
May be a little pricey but it will match closely.

Last edited:
LP, be sure and keep us updated as to how this all turns out!

Back