Any positive explanation for the boat listing?

So this doesn't appear to be a warranty issue. What did the boatfax say when you bought it? Did the dealer know about this prior repair/weld? I guess at the end of the day it is an easy fix.

The selling dealer didn't know about it, and appear to be willing to cover the cost of the fix.  My wife is all wound up, but our local dealer tried to calm her down with the same statement, "If this is as bad as it gets, you're gonna be okay."   I'm just glad we found water and aren't still chasing the root cause.

Congrats on finding the cause! You shouldn't have a problem in the future as long as you get a good welder. Had a splashguard come partially off from my port side toon last year. Had it welded over the off season. He did a fantastic job!

How do they test the toons? Is it a pressure decay test?

I'm sure you'll get a better job than the last weld job. You'll never know the whole story on the history of the boat. But the boat looks like it was in good shape otherwise. Tell your wife to start enjoying the boat and not dwell on the problem. Enjoy that pretty boat!

The toons have at least two, maybe three vent caps on the top side under the deck which the factory uses to pressure test them with soapy water.  Once they pass that inspection they remove the compressed air fittings and install pin hole vent caps in those threaded fittings for elevation/heat/pressure variations.  I would guess they are difficult to get at installed on the boat, but this would be the only true way to determine it's completely sealed after repair.

Glad you avoided a potential total loss, with the skilled welder you'll be back to enjoying that beauty very soon.  

Oh, make sure they re-apply the sharkhide protectant.

On June 1, 2016 at 3:25 PM, Baroda5 said:

Well, we found the "live well".  There was a terrible patch weld that we didn't notice before, which failed and must have let in 200+ gallons??.  I had emailed my dealer yesterday morning, but after reading this post, I called him and his reaction was the exact same, "GO NOW!!"  He told me to drill a 1" diameter hole in that toon, of which I was a bit reluctant to do, but I was more scared of if nothing came out.  It drained for 45 minutes out of that hole!

He said that the toon has two baffles, but it sounded a bit "Titanic" to me, as if they don't completely seal off each chamber???

So, that's the end to the mystery, they'll patch it up and pressure test it, should be back in the water by Saturday.

Oh well....

Glad I could help! 

That makes me need to pee!

I haven't seen it yet, but the patch is done and the toon passes the pressure test, so we float tomorrow.  I'll post pics of the fix, hopefully it looks better then the previous.  $675 and supposedly the dealer that sold it to us is picking up the bill.  We'll see how that pans out, but regardless, a relatively inexpensive end to an otherwise possible catastrophic event.

I assume if this happened to a 2 toon setup, it would have taken on enough water to sink it to the lake bottom.  Then I would have had to drill a hole in the top of the toon and pump out the water until it would float??  Dunno and glad that I don't have an real world experience to share...

Stay tuned....

Congrats! You'll look back at this one day and laugh about it!

Glad you got it in time!

I had my center toon fill through a pin hole over a period of maybe 3 years.  Since the boat is stored on a trailer, water only seeped in while I was using it.  Once it filled enough to leak back out while on the trailer, I found the hole.  It was a wet spot while everything else was dry.  I drilled a hole at the bottom and drained it like you did (I used 1/8 inch bit I think).  It took a long time to drain, but I didn't have nearly as much water as you did. 

The lesson I learned is to make a mental note where the water line is on your end caps when your boat is sitting still in the water.  You'll have to adjust for different amounts of gas and gear, but this will help you (and your wife) keep your sanity that there are no other leaks going forward.

We are floating again and sitting level!!  The patch job is pretty good, certainly better than I could do, and most importantly passed the pressure test and is water tight.  

I agree with the center of the rear toon measurement, I took a pic so I'd have a reference if ever needed.

Thanks for all the help

/monthly_2016_06/large.IMG_6695.JPG.087361028396194303df803553f4e31a.JPG/monthly_2016_06/large.IMG_6697.JPG.33d77397cf02f7d2a3f54fa223dc48e6.JPG/monthly_2016_06/large.IMG_6698.JPG.fbe4593e4914cbcf5314c248936f822c.JPG

$675 and supposedly the dealer that sold it to us is picking up the bill.  

Holy cow!! I should have stuck with the welding trade. Did he come to the boat to do the repair?

Yeah, not too bad of a shop rate!!

we took it to the dealer and they took it to their welder offsite.  I'm sure cleaning off the old weld was time consuming, but they said he uses the factory bungs to pressure test it, but had to take off the wave sheilds underneath, which probably took some time.  But a 3 day turn around was pretty good.

Problem solved!  Hopefully your wife can start enjoying the boat again.Time and good times will erase this hick up you all had with this boat. That's a real nice boat you have there.Best of times this summer.

Looks like he did a good job!

Don't they all list a little to port because on the battery placement and the helm?

My electric power steering assist is also on the port side, so i guess that the port side is 200 lbs. plus heavier than the starboard.

It lists to port about 1 inch and has been sitting in the water for 8 weeks.

Any thoughts?

Actually, I think you have port and starboard mixed up because I've never seen a Benny with a "left" side helm. :) That said, it wouldn't surprise me one bit that a boat might lean to one side or another a little bit as it is almost impossible to evenly distribute all of the equipment weight. However, as you can see from Baroda5's pictures, he had a significant lean. IMO, one inch would be acceptable. 

Yeah, I don't have a good picture of it without the list, but it looks "normal" when you see it, where as before it was obviously a bit off.  

Michiman,

LOL  

You are so right!

I meant Starboard.

It would have been easier saying left or right!

Thanks

Michiman,

LOL  

You are so right!

I meant Starboard.

It would have been easier saying left or right!

Thanks

I guess you should be tied up to the front of the boat or the back of the boat with a dock rope!!!

Back