Any positive explanation for the boat listing?

Baroda5

Reaction score
Any reason other than a toon taking on water for why our boat is listing 2 degrees (according to my iphone bubble level app)?  We haven't driven it long enough to tell if it is performing differently.  We have sealed strakes, it's possible one of them is leaking??  

Any one else's boat list like this?

/monthly_2016_05/large.574ba455bfb9f_IMG_6637(1).JPG.7da42de02a456f717c58420637b3cf01.JPG

Mine does slightly. The SSL model is not symmetric.  Most of the couch seating is on the port side, along with two batteries shoved up against the port fence.  I try to counter it some by putting my anchors on the starboard side, but it still lists to port slightly. 

Yours looks a lot worse though. The horizon in your photo looks a bit tilted too though, so maybe it's not as bad as it looks.  If the photo is accurate, I'd strongly recommend checking your starboard tube.  Put the boat on the trailer, and have someone go forward a few feet, then slam on the brakes while you stand next to the tube and listen for sloshing.  It's best if you fill the gas tank full so you're not hearing gas sloshing around in the tank. 

I had a pin hole in my center toon and had to have it welded shut last year. Cost around $125.  Bennington reimbursed me under warranty.

As Kaydano stated water in your tube is a possibility, floor plan or what you have stored on the boat could easily cause the list too. The trailer idea would be the the first place to start if you have a trailer. One stupid question...... Nothing under the port tube towards the shore? Hopefully it's a simple fix!

There isn't anything under the port side, but that would've been a great fix.  There is more weight on the starboard side, due to longer front seat, the helm, steering and sub.  The port side has two batteries and the changing room assembly.  No idea what weights those represent, but I would have guessed that the tri-toons would be able to absorb those differences, but maybe not.  

We have a trailer, so we can certainly try the slosh test, but will probably wait until after today due to a bit of Holiday traffic at the launch ramp.  I'll also talk to our dealer on Tuesday to get their thoughts also.

Thanks

I keep looking at the picture it's almost like its just the starboard side rear chamber if anything, looks like you have a few guys just standing on the back corner the way the boat squats. 

I don't have a live well (at least I don't think so), but that would've been a great fix.  I'll call the dealer tomorrow, but you can tell from this picture that the starboard toon is deeper in the water than the port side.  I turned the engine hoping that the weight would help...it didn't.  

It runs good, although, if I am full of water, it will be interesting to see if I get a performance kick if/when fixed.

/monthly_2016_05/large.IMG_6659.JPG.2adfc05b05095a614e349fd64d74a024.JPG

Yes, no doubt something's not right there.

"Leaning to the side, but you can't speed through, two miles an hour so everybody see's you"

Yes, no doubt something's not right there.

Yup, something is not quite right. If I had to guess, I'd say that you now have a live well in your outboard toon. Don't wait too long to get it out of the water as it'll only get heavier.

Honestly? I would probably pull that out sooner than later any by sooner I mean.... Today. You don't want to cross that threshold!

I thought due to the chambers they are unsinkable????? Where have I heard that before regarding a boat???????

Honestly? I would probably pull that out sooner than later any by sooner I mean.... Today. You don't want to cross that threshold!

Well, we found the "live well".  There was a terrible patch weld that we didn't notice before, which failed and must have let in 200+ gallons??.  I had emailed my dealer yesterday morning, but after reading this post, I called him and his reaction was the exact same, "GO NOW!!"  He told me to drill a 1" diameter hole in that toon, of which I was a bit reluctant to do, but I was more scared of if nothing came out.  It drained for 45 minutes out of that hole!

He said that the toon has two baffles, but it sounded a bit "Titanic" to me, as if they don't completely seal off each chamber???

So, that's the end to the mystery, they'll patch it up and pressure test it, should be back in the water by Saturday.

Oh well....

/monthly_2016_06/large.IMG_6668.JPG.d59a3c37b30819d0eb49d992bee234ea.JPG

1 inch?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!

Yep!  They are going to grind off all of the previous weld and patch with a plate, I believe.  I'm sure it'll be better than it was...anything will be.

1 inch?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!

Right!

But I guess a one inch isn't much more difficult to weld up that a half inch hole.

My old Odyssey had drain plugs and a Schrader type valve to pressurize the logs.

I never looked at my new one before I put it in, guess Benny's don't.  

Last edited by a moderator:
That's alot of water!  Do you know the history behind the patch job that was done? Not that it really matters now, but wouldn't want the same people doing the current repair :unsure:

Sounds like you will have a quick turnaround time and be back on the water soon.

So this doesn't appear to be a warranty issue. What did the boatfax say when you bought it? Did the dealer know about this prior repair/weld? I guess at the end of the day it is an easy fix.

That's alot of water!  Do you know the history behind the patch job that was done? Not that it really matters now, but wouldn't want the same people doing the current repair :unsure:

Sounds like you will have a quick turnaround time and be back on the water soon.

No, we don't know it, I assume it was someone who watched a youtube video on welding and thought to try it out on the boat!  It certainly won't be the same person, this boat came from across the state.  My dealer claims he has a "master" who they will take the boat to to have it repaired.  We used to own a fab shop, so it'll be interesting to see the job, Aluminum is a trick to weld, but those that can, can do it really well.  Luckily it's really hidden below the water line, due to the bracket above it, so waterproof is really what I'm chasing after....

Back