Any way to quickly reset depth signal from transducer

guardrail22

Reaction score
Much has been written about cavitation and prop wash causing depth reading to flash or go blank on Garman units at higher water speeds. Usually my 740s loses signal around 13mph.

Has anyone found a way to reset it quickly. I have to slow down and then turn the 740 off and back on.

Not that I'm aware of, but you could try to drop transducer down a little if possible. An inch or so might get you out of the dirty water ...

Has anyone found a way to reset it quickly. I have to slow down and then turn the 740 off and back on.

I have a similar situation and have not found a solution other than to slow down enough to get it working again. In my case, I don't have to turn the unit off, just slow down enough.

This Fall I'll ask my dealer to lower the unit a bit to hopefully improve its functionality.

I was having the same problem on my 2575 rl tri toon. I looked at my transducer and saw that it was approx. 2" above the bottom of my port pontoon.Now, this was ok at slow speeds,but at higher speeds it's out of the water, in the wash,which will not work properly. Fortunately the bracket is large enough so I could lower it to be in the water at the same level as the water flowing under the toon. This was all done this last weekend and after two outings it gave me good readings at all speeds,and I have a yammie 225 on mine,so I tested it well. I hope this works for you

I was having the same problem on my 2575 rl tri toon. I looked at my transducer and saw that it was approx. 2" above the bottom of my port pontoon.Now, this was ok at slow speeds,but at higher speeds it's out of the water, in the wash,which will not work properly. Fortunately the bracket is large enough so I could lower it to be in the water at the same level as the water flowing under the toon. This was all done this last weekend and after two outings it gave me good readings at all speeds,and I have a yammie 225 on mine,so I tested it well. I hope this works for you

Unfortunately, right now the transducer sits about even with the bottom of the port toon. Because my boat spends the summer in the water, I tried to see if it could be moved even lower but was not able to figure out how to adjust it. I was able to loosen the nut but apparently there is no play in the bracket to move up or down. 

Once out of the water for the season (which is quickly approaching), I'll let my dealer have at it. However, I'n not expecting any miracles! 

Point the transducer facing forward about 30 degrees (i.e. 30 degrees forward of parallel).  I had the same problem and this fixed it significantly for me.

Mine is about 1-1/4" below the port log and I very rarely loose it even at full throttle. Garmin 50C

I have the same issue, but as soon as I slow down it takes about 10 seconds to reset it self.  My boat is on the trailer in my driveway as I took it out to power wash the logs.  I will check it out tomorrow to see if its easily moved.  Ill try to grab video or pictures if I can figure something out before dropping it back in the water. 

Point the transducer facing forward about 30 degrees (i.e. 30 degrees forward of parallel).  I had the same problem and this fixed it significantly for me.

Thanks for the tip! While attempting an adjustment the unit was submerged, and all it seems I was able to do was loosen a threaded screw/nut. The unit itself didn't seem to want to move in any direction. If the weather cooperates this weekend I may give it another go.

Hmmm.... it should move forward/backwards (up/down from the pivot point).

Agreed, mine moves at the pivot point

Hmmm.... it should move forward/backwards (up/down from the pivot point).

Yeah, that's what I thought but I couldn't seem to get it to budge. I put some pressure on it but decided that I didn't want to risk cracking the transponder. While I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, this doesn't seem like it should be too difficult. Depending on the weather, I'll take another run at it. 

Do you have the boat in the water or on a trailer?

The bracket is notched so maybe that is what you feel.

You may have to slightly loosen the side screws to allow it to move. I have mine set almost to the point where it won't move without lots of pressure. 

Yes, the boat is in the water so that complicates things for me. Everything is by touch/feel. Hmm, I guess I'll have to see what I can do to figure out how the bracket is notched. I was able to loosen a long screw with a nut, but that didn't seem to want to do much to allow the bracket or the transponder to move. Frankly, I was afraid to fully remove the long screw/nut for fear of dropping something in the lake or not being able to get it back on.

On the other hand, the boat has to go back to the dealer anyway to repair a dead short in my navigational lighting as well as a number of other issues. Something tells me they'll have it for a few weeks.

I installed mine underwater by feel. I was in shallow water with a sandy bottom so if I dropped something I could see it fairly easy. Luckily, I didn't have to worry as I didn't drop anything doing it. I had 2 screws holding transducer bracket to toon bracket, then the two side adjuster screws. 

Our boat has a Garmin echoMap 54DV. The depth finder always worked reliably no matter what speed we were traveling, all the way to the 44 mph max. Lately however, when over 25 mph indicated on the GPS, the depth reading typically first goes to around "4", and then finally shows just two dashes "--". When slowing down, typically around 10 mph, the depth reading returns to what appears to be accurate. 

Our Benny stays in the water, and gets coated with a lot of fuzzy algae. I believe this is the culprit, NOT the location of the transducer, which is pretty much the same depth as the bottom of my starboard toon, which is where it is attached. Even the top speed has decreased by about 5-6 mph.

My problem is the fact that we have a lot of Aligators and while folks do swim in these waters, that does not include me! I'm planning taking the boat out to pressure wash the hull. Hopefully this will remedy both the depth reading at speed, and give back some of the lost speed. 

Back