Battery and Battery Switch Location, 20SLM

AWK

Reaction score
My first Pontoon is on it's way! Expecting it next week (hopefully). The boat was already ordered by the dealer as a dealer stock boat. One option I WILL need is the battery switch. I overlooked it when I bought the boat. I will see if the dealer can install as I see the option is only 57 dollars. Aftermarket they run 39 to 59 dollars. I was wondering if either Bennington or anyone esle might have a picture to where this would be mounted (both battery and switch). I can do this myself if needed.

AWK

Do you really need a battery switch with one battery? I don't know if there are any benefits to cutting off the power to a CAN/BUS modern outboard engine. I prefer to keep my preset channels on the radio.

If you had two batteries, it's a different matter.

I think a better investment would be a built in floating battery charger (Battery Tender) that would maintain a battery 24/7--and extend battery life greatly.

Do you really need a battery switch with one battery? I don't know if there are any benefits to cutting off the power to a CAN/BUS modern outboard engine. I prefer to keep my preset channels on the radio.

If you had two batteries, it's a different matter.

I think a better investment would be a built in floating battery charger (Battery Tender) that would maintain a battery 24/7--and extend battery life greatly.
I want to move to two batteries, that why I want the battery switch. I was hoping someone could share where they installed the switch and the second battery. I can see places where is could be mounted, but perfer the actual spot Bennington is installing them as OEM.

I want to move to two batteries, that why I want the battery switch. I was hoping someone could share where they installed the switch and the second battery. I can see places where is could be mounted, but perfer the actual spot Bennington is installing them as OEM.
I added a second battery and switch myself 1 year after I got my 20 SLi. I asked the Service Department at my Bennington Dealer the same question: "where does the factory install the second battery and switch". He wouldn't tell me (or look it up) specifically, and gave me vague instructions, same as you can read on-line about adding a second battery. So, I just lashed down a second battery right beside the first one inside the sundeck/storage area and put the switch on the floor beside both batteries. Looked at putting the switch on one of the fence posts inside the sundeck/storage area but seemed more issues to have dealt with (longer wires, more difficult attachment scheme for switch). Has worked fine the way I have it.

Now that I did it that way, I'd still be curious exactly where "the factory" puts it...

I added a second battery and switch myself 1 year after I got my 20 SLi. I asked the Service Department at my Bennington Dealer the same question: "where does the factory install the second battery and switch". He wouldn't tell me (or look it up) specifically, and gave me vague instructions, same as you can read on-line about adding a second battery. So, I just lashed down a second battery right beside the first one inside the sundeck/storage area and put the switch on the floor beside both batteries. Looked at putting the switch on one of the fence posts inside the sundeck/storage area but seemed more issues to have dealt with (longer wires, more difficult attachment scheme for switch). Has worked fine the way I have it.

Now that I did it that way, I'd still be curious exactly where "the factory" puts it...
Thank you! Is your standard (not second) battery semi-sumerged in the floor? I noticed that when looking at this boat in the showroom. If you happen to have a pic of this would be great. I added the switch and extra battery to my 195 Sundowner. I need this since my wife LOVES music (and loud).

I saw Bennington add the instruction to install the Changing Room. I was hoping for the same thing in the batteries! Wiring these is pretty straight forward.

AWK

I installed a second battery and Perko switch in our 20SLi, if you look in my photo gallery you will find a pic of it there :)
Perfect! Exactly what I was looking for. I have to laugh at myself, I post "is your battery semi submerged in the floor". I now realize, that there was no battery in it! It was just the cover of the battery!

Perfect! Exactly what I was looking for. I have to laugh at myself, I post "is your battery semi submerged in the floor". I now realize, that there was no battery in it! It was just the cover of the battery!
That's a good one. We all do stuff like that once in while ESPECIALLY if you are willing to DIY. Thanks for sharing. Made me laugh, and know I'm not alone.

Mine is on top of my battery cover I have just one factory battery. 2012 2075 gli . Hoss

I installed a second battery and Perko switch in our 20SLi, if you look in my photo gallery you will find a pic of it there :)
My batteries are in the exact same position. However, instead of attaching the switch to the back of the seat as shown in the pic, I put it on the floor about even with the front of the closest battery shown in the pic. Puts it about in the center of the floor, next to the battery, about even with the edge of the battery. Long reach to the floor, but works for me.

Attachments

• dual battery 2.pdf
    44.1 KB · Views: 295
  • dual battery with fuse block (2).pdf
    71.5 KB · Views: 248
GREAT! I am glad there is no specific location. Thanks for the info! Now I just need my boat!

AWK

So, too little too late? Look what TB found for the DIY crowd...

This doesn't address "where" you install (since there are many alternatives), but it does address "how"!
Maybe its just me, but does anyone else think that the diagram showing "with fuse block" sure looks a heck of a lot like a Yamaha SHO motor!! haha

I was wondering if either Bennington or anyone else might have a picture to where this would be mounted (both battery and switch). I can do this myself if needed.

AWK
My battery is just forward of the engine in the factory location and my battery switch is under the seat right on the other side of that bulkhead. heh... if you can call something that thin a "bulkhead" ;)

Back