Battery keeps dying - 2013 Bennington SSXL

Miker397

Reaction score
I bought the boat (2013 22'' SSLX with 150hp merc) new last spring and had zero issues all last season for about 50 hours of use. I stored the battery inside during the winter on a trickle charger. This spring, the boat worked great for about 6 trips then we got out on the lake and it would not start up. The engine would beep but would not crank at all. I could not get the battery to hold a charge even on a trickle charger, so I got it replaced under warranty and put the new batter in last week (Interstate Marine 800 CCA). The boat worked fine for another 3-4 times, but then started sluggishly and beeped at me on startup, and when I turned it off out on the lake, it died again and left us stranded for a second time.

So, either the battery is not being recharged properly by the alternator, or something is draining it while the boat is off. The stereo is off and the nav lights are off, and there is nothing else I can think of that could be draining the battery dead so fast? Any thoughts or suggestions?

I would check the charging system.

Very likely either the voltage regulator or the alternator.  Dealer should fix under warranty for sure but can be a pita if you have to tow it very far and/or then have to wait for parts during the prime of boating season.

See if there's someone close that can do Yamaha warranty work.

I have seen a charging system failure on two of the 150L Mercs, so that would be my first guess.

Get a voltmeter or cigarette lighter plugin voltmeter and check the voltage at the 12v plug or battery terminals when the engine is idling. If it's under 14 volts you likely have a charging issue. I think I'm running at 14.3 volts when the alternator is running.

3000 rpm's with everything turned on.

Really Nick?

You can check the voltage on the Echo 100 fish finder too. 

Yup, that's how I keep an eye on mine. Motor off, drops to around 12.5-12.7 while sitting in cove. Cruising, about 14.3-14.5 volts.

Mine shows on my Garman. While running and at rest

With all the power demands on the boats, now days they really should be using an AGM Deep cycle battery. AGMs built for vibration would last the longest. Flooded are okay but the constant drain ( running stereo, GPS, other power items, is hard on a Flooded battery ). By end of 2016 60% of all cars coming off assembly line will have AGM batteries. You did the right thing putting on tender for winter and taking inside. Could just have bad batteries as well? If they replace- ask for AGM batteries you will be much happier !

Really Nick?
Yup, that's how I keep an eye on mine. Motor off, drops to around 12.5-12.7 while sitting in cove. Cruising, about 14.3-14.5 volts.
Exactly. I just learned this from another thread on here where Semper mentioned setting a low voltage alarm on the Echo 100. Turns out you can just go into the menu and see your voltage at any time. Very handy little feature. 

You could also have a short in the wiring. If the wire is rubbed through somewhere it could be shorting to ground and that will drain the battery and eventually kill the alternator. It should be a warranty issue so I would let the dealer check it out.

Exactly. I just learned this from another thread on here where Semper mentioned setting a low voltage alarm on the Echo 100. Turns out you can just go into the menu and see your voltage at any time. Very handy little feature. 
On the upgraded one (431 I think) you can select all the different things you want visible all the time. Mine always shows speed, voltage, heading,depth, water temperature, and how much rum is left. Okay, maybe not the last one, but it'd be a whole lot cooler if it did!

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Derrick!!

There should be a low alcohol warning buzzer too

Later,

Marc

Thanks for the feedback. I was told to check the charging fuse first to see if it's blown. Anyone have a diagram/know where that would be?

Fuses are all fine in the outboard so it must be a short or bad alternator. I have just been plugging into a trickle charger every other time and have a portable jumper on board for the rest of the season is the plan.

To have a dealer look at this as a warranty issue, will I have to trailer the pontoon to them? Also, I presume any Bennington dealer will be ok for a warranty claim, as I bought the boat from a dealer 4 hours away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back