Best Combination for Skiing & Tubing

Power assist is a definite great option for watersports! I wouldn't own another without it! Jeff is spot on

I cannot speak to the E-tec’s from first hand experience as we have a Mercury. However, the people on this forum that have them seem to LOVE them. I also don’t recall ever reading a compliant from someone with them. Hopefully some e-tec owners will chime.

As a side note though, we have Ski-Doo snowmobiles, so we are at least tuned in to BRP as a company. Love their snowmobiles!!! As a result, we would have zero apprehension going with a Sea-Doo, or e-tec boat motor, etc... I think they build top notch recreational toys, motors, accessories, etc...

I wrestled with getting the power steering, but I’m so glad I did. Tubing, pulling into slip is effortless. The extra expense is soon forgotten.

We run an evinrude e-tec and it’s fantastic. I would recommend the G2 series in an HO either 150 or 200. Where we boat it’s pretty close to a 3:1 margin of passing an evinrude. Been reading thru the post, SPS/150 is an awesome combination for money, quite a few run a 200hp for the added performance. If you want any sort of handling, awesome ride and just a fantastic boat nothings going to beat a triple toon!!

PS: putting a 150 on a twin tube boat is like putting lipstick on the dog, in the end it’s still a dog! ;)

I thought that was "lipstick on a pig". :)

Super, that’s what I was thinking. And I already have the aft deck and could not agree with you more. I wouldn’t ever be without it.

Now one more twist, any thoughts regarding the Evinrude E-tecs? It seems like people that own them love them. Low maintenance, a lot of power & lighter in weight (at least that’s what I keep hearing). Thoughts??

Here is my experience with my 2017 G25 swingback with SPS and ETEC G2 200 HO. This is a fairly heavy boat given the configuration and length. I decided to put the largest engine I could on the SPS hull, which is the ETEC 200 HO which is tuned to make about 220 HP (you can put a 250 on the 2018 SPS hull). I didn't want to spend the extra $$$ on the ESP package - after doing my research, consensus was that SPS is nearly as good a performer for my use. And it does perform. I have had v-hull bowriders, twin tube pontoons, etc. and this boat really does perform at 9/10 compared to a 25 foot bowrider.

The ETEC G2 has loads of low end of torque and gets on plane very quickly. I'm a bit underpropped as I max at about 5000 rpm but I run 44mph at the weight limit on the plate, and 48-49 with 2-3 people onboard. This past weekend I had 10 people onboard, 3 adults and 7 teens pulling a 3 person Super Mable. So 7 in the boat and about 400 lbs plus the tube out back. Kids had a blast! Turns in tight circles, maintains speed through maneuvers, gets on plane instantly. I haven't tried to pull any skiers but am 100% confident I could easily get up and pull 2 adults without any problem.

Add to that 500 hours before the first recommended maintenance, push button winterization, integrated power steering, etc. So you could say I am firmly in the "love it" camp.

Dave

Here is my experience with my 2017 G25 swingback with SPS and ETEC G2 200 HO. This is a fairly heavy boat given the configuration and length. I decided to put the largest engine I could on the SPS hull, which is the ETEC 200 HO which is tuned to make about 220 HP (you can put a 250 on the 2018 SPS hull). I didn't want to spend the extra $$$ on the ESP package - after doing my research, consensus was that SPS is nearly as good a performer for my use. And it does perform. I have had v-hull bowriders, twin tube pontoons, etc. and this boat really does perform at 9/10 compared to a 25 foot bowrider.

The ETEC G2 has loads of low end of torque and gets on plane very quickly. I'm a bit underpropped as I max at about 5000 rpm but I run 44mph at the weight limit on the plate, and 48-49 with 2-3 people onboard. This past weekend I had 10 people onboard, 3 adults and 7 teens pulling a 3 person Super Mable. So 7 in the boat and about 400 lbs plus the tube out back. Kids had a blast! Turns in tight circles, maintains speed through maneuvers, gets on plane instantly. I haven't tried to pull any skiers but am 100% confident I could easily get up and pull 2 adults without any problem.

Add to that 500 hours before the first recommended maintenance, push button winterization, integrated power steering, etc. So you could say I am firmly in the "love it" camp.

Dave
How would you compare it to the sound of a 4stroke? My only worry about the etec is the sound. Love the thought of low maintenance, winterizing, but I don't want to hear a rumble back there. Any thoughts??

I think the dB's are going to be higher than a four stroke but not sure how much more. As with most things in life, there is always a trade-off so you have to decide what's more important. That said, from what I've read, those new E-Tec's seem to be a very nice engine.

I love our sps and 200. Was on the inlaws R last week with two toons and a 115. I was really missing mine!

How would you compare it to the sound of a 4stroke? My only worry about the etec is the sound. Love the thought of low maintenance, winterizing, but I don't want to hear a rumble back there. Any thoughts??

I had a Suzuki 4 stoke on my last pontoon and my subjective opinion is that the ETEC may be slightly louder, but in no way do I find it too loud or distracting. It isn't apples to apples though as my evinrude is wide open to the deck with the swingback while the 4 stroke was shrouded by the back lounger on my previous boat.

Dave

Dave: Those are some kind of numbers you are getting with 200 horses on the G25! I'm currently in the design process of putting together a 23GSB with this G2 because I think the 2 stroke will give me the torque that is necessary for a pleasant skiing experience. I remember skiing years ago on an underpowered boat with no low end torque and it was a real drag (no pun intended !).

I'd really be interested in seeing a picture of your G25 helm with the displays you matched up with your G2. Did you install the 7 inch touch screen display? Could you provide some pics?

Dave: Those are some kind of numbers you are getting with 200 horses on the G25! I'm currently in the design process of putting together a 23GSB with this G2 because I think the 2 stroke will give me the torque that is necessary for a pleasant skiing experience. I remember skiing years ago on an underpowered boat with no low end torque and it was a real drag (no pun intended !).

I'd really be interested in seeing a picture of your G25 helm with the displays you matched up with your G2. Did you install the 7 inch touch screen display? Could you provide some pics?
I am very happy to get the performance that I am, I didn't test drive this engine. My ETEC is the HO version which should put out up to 10% more HP than stated, so figure it's 220. For the slight increase in cost I would spec the HO version if you are going with an ETEC. My gauges are the Icon Pro which have small digital displays for key information. I had no reason to go with the touch screen and additional cost.

Feel free to reach out to me with questions. I spent a year researching and spec'ing Benningtons and Manitous to get exactly what I wanted and am fortunate to be really happy with the boat (for the most part - the dealer situation wasn't great but that's a different issue).

IMG_2779.JPG dps code.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the reply and pictures! Don't know if I will need that touch-screen but the cool factor is very tempting.

Do you have the iTrim feature enabled and if so what do you think?

And what did they set your DPS level to? (min, medium or max). I don't fully understand why there are three levels.

Also, what are those two additional buttons on the base of your digital throttle control?

Thanks so much for the reply and pictures! Don't know if I will need that touch-screen but the cool factor is very tempting.

Do you have the iTrim feature enabled and if so what do you think?

And what did they set your DPS level to? (min, medium or max). I don't fully understand why there are three levels.

Also, what are those two additional buttons on the base of your digital throttle control?
At first I wasn't sure how to use I-trim until I called my dealer. All you have to do is trim the engine all the way down in neutral and when you go into gear the engine will trim up based on your running speed, plane angle, etc. Now I always use it and it works perfectly. I have tried all the DPS settings and I always leave it in max assist. You can turn with one finger. The boat handles so well in this setting. The buttons on the throttle base are to engage neutral, and to adjust your speed up and down in 500 rpm increments via push button like a cruise control setting. Could be useful for skiing/towing or trolling.

At first I wasn't sure how to use I-trim until I called my dealer. All you have to do is trim the engine all the way down in neutral and when you go into gear the engine will trim up based on your running speed, plane angle, etc. Now I always use it and it works perfectly. I have tried all the DPS settings and I always leave it in max assist. You can turn with one finger. The boat handles so well in this setting. The buttons on the throttle base are to engage neutral, and to adjust your speed up and down in 500 rpm increments via push button like a cruise control setting. Could be useful for skiing/towing or trolling.

Happy to hear that great report on the iTrim. I'm still grinding over the choice between the ICON PRO's and the touchscreen display. Not much benefit on the TS display other than the cool factor when you only have a single outboard. But I did read that the early ICON PRO's did not have the firmware that would allow for the one touch winterization. Can you tell me if you have that feature available from your tachometer menu?

Other than that I'm totally sold on the Etec G2. Only problem is that the dealer I plan to work with has 20 Benny's in inventory, all rigged with Yamaha's. Hoping they service and support the Evinrude.

Winterization is *supposed* to be accessible via the tach menu with the icon pro gauges but it is not visible on mine. My dealer and I have gone in circles about this for a year. They insist it should be there yet it isn't. Regardless the dealer provided me the manual override instructions for starting winterization and it worked perfectly last fall.

Power assist is a definite great option for watersports! I wouldn't own another without it! Jeff is spot on

For what it's worth, I thought I would give my input as well. I agree with BulldogsCadillac on all his comments. We made the 115 mistake also, were lucky to find a great deal on our current boat. The Sport Tower is heavy and certainly hurts our top speed, I think my boat is around 4900lbs?? But I love the look and wouldn't pass it up if "budget" allows. (hahah, I said budget :) ) I consider the Yamaha F300 a torque monster and not as fast as the others out there, but that is complete speculation on my part. I feel as if I can pull anything that will attach to the boat :) which was exactly what I was looking for. We top out at 42mph at 6000rpm in the beginning of each season and are currently at 39mph @ 6000rpm due to the boat sitting in the lake all summer, with little difference in amount of passengers or fuel. To date, that engine is flawless and according to my research, I expect it to be that way for many, many
hours to come.....I hate the color though, but not enough to spend the cash to repaint it.

We have an "UltraFlex" hydraulic steering system that came with the boat. I'm not sure if this is the standard option that is available today or in 2013 for that matter, but it did come from the factory installed. It offers 3 settings for trolling, normal, and performance situations. The boat steers effortlessly with the system engaged and is easily steered by a finger under load and at speed using the top choice, I highly recommend this if that is an option.

I've only had the ellipticals and the ESP. I have zero complaints with the ESP and would order it if given the chance. I would love to hear the other boaters when we are tubing and they see how awesome these boats can turn and perform. I'm smiling just thinking about it! Thanks Bennington!

I hope this helps and good luck.....so much fun shopping for a new boat!!

Ultraflex.jpg

Winterization is *supposed* to be accessible via the tach menu with the icon pro gauges but it is not visible on mine. My dealer and I have gone in circles about this for a year. They insist it should be there yet it isn't. Regardless the dealer provided me the manual override instructions for starting winterization and it worked perfectly last fall.

Sounds like you have the most recent owner manual (Rev. B) but they installed a gauge with the older firmware. No biggie as the manual procedure looks just as easy. I'll have to figure out a way to request a gauge with the newest fw.

Do you run the RX4 prop on your G2? You mentioned you were underpropped - I read that Evinrude recommends the RX4 for larger tritoons.

I am using a rebel stainless prop. I only say I am underpropped since I am only getting 5100 rpms at WOT. But I am extremely satisfied with the performance so not really looking to test other props/pitches at the moment. My dealer rigs a ton of evinrude so I am deferring to their recommendation.

I'm glad you mentioned the gauge firmware. That is likely the issue and my dealer may not understand that. They talk about upgrading software which wouldn't fix the root issue.

Back