Best yamaha power for 2574GSW SPS

gab6569

Reaction score
We are purchasing a 2574GSW with SPS, power steering assist and other options. I am undecided on the best Yamaha power for this size boat. We will be tubing and skiing at times, other times with 4-8 people on board, most times it will be just the two of us. Will be boating on the Ohio River only. I am initially drawn to the f200 but would the 250 be worth the extra money for us? Cannot find detailed test results for our size boat. Any info and all opinions would be greatly appreciated.

This is our first pontoon purchase. All of our previous boats have been high performance (mercury 496ho and 525) thus our concern about powering a pontoon properly.

Honestly, given your past history for 'the need for speed' (join the club) I'd go with the 250 but I'm sure the 200 would be pretty good.  Have no idea on specific speeds between the two but I'm sure others will chime in.  I have a 25' boat as well and my I/O is rated at 280HP and no way would I want any less than what I have.

Repeat after me, I want the biggest motor my boat will hold mr. Dealer.

250 SHO Vmax, at the min.  But when I see your past boats, I lean towards 300!!! Just saying

Best "Need for Speed and Torque" Regards

Joe 

http://www.yamahaoutboards.com/owner-resources/performance-bulletins

Follow this Web site you can build a 25 foot bennington with the 250 v max sho or 300 motor and it will give you the performance specs. I ordered the F300 for my 2550 rcb it had the best fuel economy for the cruising speed I wanted and I can have 4-6 people on board and still be able to tube and ski. Took everyone s advice on this forum go as big as you can afford you will never regret having too much power.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just remember, anything over 200hp will require the ESP hull. I'd buy whatever the the hull is rated for, leaves out any questions later if more would be better! Just saying.....

Thank you for all your input. Going with the 2375 GSW ESP w/Yamaha F200. Dealer also says that is plenty of power. Sound good? Wife loves it.

If the wife is happy your all set!

Happy Wife........ Happy Life!!! :D

Happy wife..happy life!  Famous words to live by "fer sure"!!

To go the 250 SHO (over the F200) will require the ESP hull, and there's approximately $7K difference MSRP vs. the two setups.  From what I've read, both boats are 44-45 mph boats on top end.  $7K is a lot to spend for a boat that'll turn just a little sharper in tight turns.

It sure would be nice if an in water demo between the two were available. 

I'm very satisfied with my 24SSLX and F150.  I'm sure I'd be thrilled to own the 2574 G series with a F200 and power steering assist.  But there again, I'm a cheapskate.  I would use the $7K to buy another Waverunner.

Back