Bimini Cover Speed

cyanarella

Reaction score
Hey Everyone.... Just curious.  Have you ever had an issue with your Bimini top frame coming when going down the lake?

Is there a speed recommended?

Never had an issue, Mine stays up and I like wide open for my speed as often as I can. 

My speed is usually around 12mph but I haven't any issues even if I do 18mph :p

Not an issue, even @ 40 mph (at that speed I'm always inclined to look up just to make sure! Bimini frame and canvas always strong! Pleasantly surprised every time!)

Never a problem up to about 20mph which is where my 2250 RCL with a 90hp Yamaha tops out at.

I've done 40 many times with it up, no problem.  It slices the air pretty good.  But it really bows if you are going fast into a strong headwind...

So, if you are heading into the wind, I would subtract the wind speed from 40 mph and call that your max speed.  That is if it's significantly windy out (10 or more).

I was told by Bennington today that it is not designed to go over 15mph and they referred to the manual. I just didnt know that!

That is legal essssss.  Most of us never take it down.  Just make sure the bottom clips are locked in. Smack them hard.

I would often run in the mid 40's with my old boat with the factory double bimini and never had any issues. My new boat has custom Sunbrella which is much tighter, and at 45 it is rock solid.

I have a dumb question. I always have my bimini in the up position with the boot on but obviously not opened. Is everyone referring to this or to actually having the bimini opened?

Boot off and opened.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine is open all the way not just up, normal speed 30-35 mph. I don't even think about mine.

I run my double bimini at high speeds as well, but there are tags on both that say max speed is 15.  We've never had any issues or concerns.  

I've done 40 many times with it up, no problem.  It slices the air pretty good.  But it really bows if you are going fast into a strong headwind...

So, if you are heading into the wind, I would subtract the wind speed from 40 mph and call that your max speed.  That is if it's significantly windy out (10 or more).
10 mph breeze is considered dead calm here in SD! :p

Damn...... first you can't go over 15 MPH w/the table in place.......now the Bimini........what's next?!?

Last edited by a moderator:
Semperfi's boat.

Back