Bimini sagging in middle at speed

varddog

Reaction score
We're having problems with the bimini sagging from the middle at higher speeds. Depending on wind it happens about 25-30MPH. The faster we go, the more it sags.

On our second trip out, in some pretty good winds, as we were cruising, the second from the rear cross brace dropped pretty violently and split the zipper open and tore the fabric a bit on the seams.

We purchased this 2014 2250GBR used, and the dealer put a new bimini fabric on before we brought it home. I'm a little concerned that it's possibly not the right fabric, the fit doesn't seem great. There is loose fabric on the sides, and a snap where there is no place to connect it.

In a shared folder I have a couple videos and pictures better demonstrating the problem, including video of the frame sagging / flapping at speed:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/bUSddE42mgJPHO8i2

I've seen some other conversations on here with similar problems, especially with the curved bimini frames it seems. Sounds like people had to work directly with Bennington and/or go to a custom company locally. Please reach out if you've got any ideas.

Thanks!

Congrats on the new boat. Very nice.
There is definitely something wrong. That is not a proper fit. My first thought was that it was installed backwards, but it seems that the two center supports are too close together and that situation would not be resolved by simply reversing the cover.
Is the frame bent?
Only other idea that comes to mind is that the wrong cover was installed. That, I think, is the most likely case.

Did you purchase it from a Bennington dealer? I don't have a curved bimini but it's not right.

I do not have a curved frame but as stated... that just ain’t right! Maybe they bought a standard Bimini not knowing the difference with the curved frames?? But I’d go back at the dealer to see what he thinks they bought. Keep us posted.

Last edited:
I don't have the curved Bimini either. I pull my 2 front struts up as far as they can go and lock them into place. That makes the Bimini top as tight as can be and it doesn't sag. Your center support doesn't appear to be really supporting anything. Don't know why it sags like that at speed. Unless the front part can be pulled tighter......

It looks like the dealer installed the rear snaps too high ( ours are lower). They should likely be moved down on that frame strut.

Also, there is a strap with a detachable clip that goes between the two rear bows in the center that allows you to pull the second last bow up and tight towards the rear. See if it is in your boat somewhere or get one from your dealer.

I agree with Dale,my first thought was that it was installed backwards. Is it an off brand Bimini ? Or Bennington? I would contact Dealer. Take him for a ride.

... Also, there is a strap ...

This is it! That missing strap is needed to keep the support bar from dropping too far towards the center. If that rear support bar were held about three inches (I'm guesstimating) tighter, the result would be a higher, more taught ceiling. It would also remove the slack in that rear side piece that's just dangling loose.

The issue I had when I got my boat was the dealer installed the front bimini too far to the rear (resulting in the material having a huge center sag). The rear bimini was installed at the factory. No idea why the factory didn't install both. My problems persisted when the dealership wouldn't fully own the front bimini problem and the manager wanted to "try" different Band-Aid fixes instead of fixing it right. I insisted that they weren't going to use my boat as a Guinea Pig project. Eventually, with lots of tenacity, I got Bennington directly involved and the issue was resolved very quickly (and done right) removing the dealership from the equation. Not a problem since and both my biminis are tighter than a drumhead (I would know as I'm a drummer, lol).

It looks like the dealer installed the rear snaps too high ( ours are lower). They should likely be moved down on that frame strut.

Also, there is a strap with a detachable clip that goes between the two rear bows in the center that allows you to pull the second last bow up and tight towards the rear. See if it is in your boat somewhere or get one from your dealer.
I will be asking about said strap... I am unhappy with the way our curved Bimini fits when we're just sitting still
We're having problems with the bimini sagging from the middle at higher speeds. Depending on wind it happens about 25-30MPH. The faster we go, the more it sags.

On our second trip out, in some pretty good winds, as we were cruising, the second from the rear cross brace dropped pretty violently and split the zipper open and tore the fabric a bit on the seams.

We purchased this 2014 2250GBR used, and the dealer put a new bimini fabric on before we brought it home. I'm a little concerned that it's possibly not the right fabric, the fit doesn't seem great. There is loose fabric on the sides, and a snap where there is no place to connect it.

In a shared folder I have a couple videos and pictures better demonstrating the problem, including video of the frame sagging / flapping at speed:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/bUSddE42mgJPHO8i2

I've seen some other conversations on here with similar problems, especially with the curved bimini frames it seems. Sounds like people had to work directly with Bennington and/or go to a custom company locally. Please reach out if you've got any ideas.

Thanks!
your boat is gorgeous

Definitely not fitted right. How long ago did you buy it? I would start with dealer, if no satisfaction would go to local canvas shop and I am sure they can correct including taking care of tears, which left like that will only get worse

Congrats on the new boat. Very nice.
There is definitely something wrong. That is not a proper fit. My first thought was that it was installed backwards, but it seems that the two center supports are too close together and that situation would not be resolved by simply reversing the cover.
Is the frame bent?
Only other idea that comes to mind is that the wrong cover was installed. That, I think, is the most likely case.

Frame doesn't appear bent or damaged in any way. I'm thinking we're on to a few things from this thread:

1) The missing strap between the rear and second bar/brace (I have some straps that I found lying around the boat - will check them out)
2) Possibly not quite the right Bimini top (it's a Veada model - picture attached of the label)
3) Snaps not quite in right place

The dealer put this on new when I bought the boat, and he's already started a warranty claim with Bennington. I'll send along this info that we've found and see where we get.

Thanks all for your help and ideas!

Attachments

• veada.jpg
    veada.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 43
Yep that sure looks like it's installed backwards

The front curved pieces seem to have more of an arc to them when compared to the rear. The middle bow sections should be placed at the right area as well to keep the height correct. Maybe someone with a curved top can give the support to support oc measurements going across the top. Looks weird

I'd be taking it off and put what's currently the back to the front and see if it fits better.

I'd be taking it off and put what's currently the back to the front and see if it fits better.

Worth a shot I may try that. The dealer has also responded that they agree it looks weird, so hopefully I can get it to them for a look (no trailer right now). Thanks all for the continued ideas!

On our top I added another snap on both sides that pulled the side of the top tighter. Put the snaps on the back side of the rail at about 180 degrees of the existing ones , the strap on the side of the top was to long. It was either add a snap or try and shorten the strap, adding one on the rail was easy. In the photo the snaps had not been moved yet, even though it was loose then, it never flopped in the wind. I also had to adjust the frame work a little bit has well.
IMG_2507.JPG

Back