Bimini top question

I’ve got a video of mine doing 38 mph, and Bimini is fine. I’ve done that a number of times.

Yessir. Many here have stated the same or similar so I'm confident it can be done. I just have to figure out why mine's refusing to cooperate. There's a glitch somewhere in it no doubt. I'm just hoping to track it down and get it fixed sooner rather than later so my passengers and I can be literally cool from the shade while we're out on a cool boat.

Thanks to everyone for your responses.

Last edited:
I am in process of adding a front bimini to my 2013 22SLX tritoon. The dealer ordered the front frame and all mounting hardware. I will then have a local boat upholsterer build new tops. In the hardware package is a pair of pins on cable lanyards (long 3/16" diameter pin with spring loaded ball near end) that apparently pin the legs so they can't come loose as you are experiencing. I bet the legs just pop off of hardware from wind and bounce and need these pins to block their ability to pop off bracket pins.

Yessir. Many here have stated the same or similar so I'm confident it can be done. I just have to figure out why mine's refusing to cooperate. There's a glitch somewhere in it no doubt. I'm just hoping to track it down and get it fixed sooner rather than later so my passengers and I can be literally cool from the shade while we're out on a cool boat.

Thanks to everyone for your responses.

Im wondering if you have “to much tension”. I only have to pull on mine about 1-1/2” or less to lock in. Now I’m on hp restricted lake so I don’t do near your speed, but I wonder if there’s so much “pull” on the arms that it pulls them off the attachment???

IMG_3196.jpg IMG_3195.jpg Being the front bimini is mounted reverse to standard rear bimini, it has wind pushing at it trying to unlatch it. That is why lock pins are needed apparently. The part is #012280 pin and lanyard and costs $13.35 each. You need one on each side of forward leg inserted into a drilled hole.

Last edited:
Just got mine all modified to cover most of boat. New OEM front bimini frame and install hardware ordered thru dealer, then all new Sunbrella tops custom made at upholstery shop. Total cost $3k and that includes modifying playpen cover so all rail brackets have collars and velcro closures so we can have both tops up and still install playpen cover totally. iPhone added pink tinge to last picture somehow.

Attachments

• IMG_3409.jpg
    IMG_3409.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3410.jpg
    IMG_3410.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3412.jpg
    IMG_3412.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3414.jpg
    IMG_3414.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3411.jpg
    IMG_3411.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3416.jpg
    IMG_3416.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3417.jpg
    IMG_3417.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3415.jpg
    IMG_3415.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 30
Searching the forums I see where some have had the problem and some haven't regarding the standard bimini top's front support legs disconnecting from the rail mounts at speeds greater than 15 mph. I've had it happen with mine as well, virtually every time I exceed 20 mph no matter the lake wave/chop conditions. Even when the water is flat, run at 20 mph and it will eventually happen. It will even happen at 15 mph if there's a good chop on the lake.
I have to pull my from support legs down about 2-1/2 to 3" to connect them and being a quality control guy I always make sure they're fully clicked into the mounts with both the audible "click" and visual verification.

I'm the second owner of the boat. It had 63 hours on it when I purchased it. I don't know it's use or bimini use history with certainty obviously but it's a pristine boat minus one small scratch on a gate fence panel. Maybe something on the frame was misaligned, weakened or otherwise out of sync when I got it but coming from 50+ mph v-boat with bimini tops background I was careful to check it over well before I ever put it in the water the first time. Everything seemed straight and aligned properly and the fabric was good and taunt everywhere and remained that way while running until such time as the front legs would come out of the forward mounts.

No speed limit tag on it anywhere but maybe it had one originally that was removed before I took possession. Anyway I'm on a mission to figure out why it's happening, and then what if anything I can do to make it so the boat can be ran at speeds greater than 15 mph with the top up. Maybe I'm dreaming but I'm finding it hard to understand why some can and some can't. Obviously all things aren't equal or everyone would be getting the same results. Differences in wind and water conditions are natural factors that can't be perfectly measured I realize. Nevertheless it seems there's something not just right with mine that I've yet to figure out.

I'm going to go through the manual with a fine tooth comb again and then give the top another thorough going over and see what I find. Maybe it's something as simple as the front latch mechanisms need replacing. Next stop after that if I haven't figured it out is a call to the dealer or the factory if they have tech support for such things. I'm confident we'll get it figured out.
My brand new front bimini with all new parts really grips the forward bracket pin. My rear original bimini leg pops off pin easily with a pop of the palm of your hand as it has years of use. Front one hurts your hand from its stubbornness to unlatch. If you either 1) replace leg end with new latch...or 2) add the stainless lock pin on lanyard to prevent leg from unlatching (cheaper and better option I think, but need to drill a hole on each front bracket as in picture). Your parts are just showing some wear from years of use. IMG_3195.jpg

On our maiden voyage when trying to open the Bimini top got a little aggressive and broke the seat of the attachment arm (heavy gauge plastic). Can't seem to find parts on line that are the exact match.Where is your go to place for Bimini parts.In the meantime I will go to a boat repair place today and order the parts.

Bennington does not sell parts outright .You would have to either order from a dealer or you can try ,Great Lake Skipper they have "some" OEM Bennington parts .

My 2021 LX Double Bimini has a 30mph limit tag, the cable stays add-on indicate over 30 is cool!?

Attachments

• Bimini Cable Stays Speed Note Over 30.JPG
    Bimini Cable Stays Speed Note Over 30.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 2021-07-04 09.48.10 Bimini Speed.jpg
    2021-07-04 09.48.10 Bimini Speed.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 20
I have the curved bimini on my 2020 G25. When I take the kids tubing or skiing I fold the entire bimini right down flat. It's super annoying but I just don't trust it. I tried running with it closed with the zipped up cover on without lowering it flat, and even like that it shakes a little side to side and I fear it's only a matter of time until the plastic clips on the side rail break. Wish I would have sprung for the tower instead, but that is a very expensive upgrade.

I have the curved bimini on my 2020 G25. When I take the kids tubing or skiing I fold the entire bimini right down flat. It's super annoying but I just don't trust it. I tried running with it closed with the zipped up cover on without lowering it flat, and even like that it shakes a little side to side and I fear it's only a matter of time until the plastic clips on the side rail break. Wish I would have sprung for the tower instead, but that is a very expensive upgrade.
Any issues laying the Bimini flat down on the back seats?
Texas is a Bimini up all summer state but would like to drop all the way down in the off season

The issue with laying it flat is it takes up a little of the seating space in the rear, as well as blocks the center rear entrance. I have the quad lounge layout. You also have to be careful not to hit the light pole. The only time I lay it flat is for tubing and skiing when we are going 28-32 mph. When I don't want to block the sun, I leave it up but fold it up into it's zippered cover, I don't lay it flat. I don't even do that very often, it's normally up and open. Those that want sun can sit in the front.

We run our curved electric bimin 70% of the time in the radar position. Also in the radar position for water sports.

Down all the way flat is simply in the way of seating and rear accessibility as mentioned above. Fortunately, being in Michigan, we have the luxury of not needing it fully open all the time. I bet we only open up our Bimini all the way about 30% of the summer.

I haven’t run over 25-30 with it fully open (and typically are anchored up or slow cruising anyway if its fully open). I have no qualms about running WOT with it in the radar position (41-44mph).

Once the season starts the double Bimini goes up..... And stays up all season! At the end of the day we put the mooring cover on and go home. I guess you can call us lazy but it's easier that way. Love going on the boat but also love shade! Everybody skis/wakeboards. We have no problem running the 25-30mph with the Bimini up. Make sure everything is tight! It won't flap around or shake.

Back