Boat is home! Was: Placed my order - 2350RSR

Congrats!!!

I was able to sneak in a last minute change - sealed strakes.

My boat will be built next week and after reading a few threads about sealed vs unsealed, I figured it just made sense after for the cost.  Seems there is a performance difference (not sure I buy it, but maybe) and not having to worry about cleaning (my biggest reason). 

Dealer talked me out of Sharkhide.  I mentioned everyone's feedback on it here, but it was not his experience.  He said if I had my heart set on it, to just do it myself.  It is much cheaper that way.  Since it only lasts a year or two, I'd have to do it again myself anyway, so might as well get practice.

Here's to a short winter :chug:

Let  them do it at the factory .

They can get to areas you can't .

Let  them do it at the factory .

They can get to areas you can't .
Since it doesn't last, don't I eventually have to figure out how to get to "those areas" anyway (reason for doing it myself)?  Or if they are that hard to get to, maybe it doesn't matter (eg: can't see).

FWIW: I think the shark hide does work, however, below the water surface it still takes some elbow grease to clean (probably because we keep boat docked in muddy river). I assume it would have been harder to clean w/out shark hide. Also, factory applied probably does get under brackets and in creases, etc, and is relatively inexpensive (& a lot less hassle) vs. DIY. Now on the flip side, above the waterline, the toon wiped nice and shiny with just a sponge. I believe it's due to the shark hide protectant. All the extra's add up so I see that point as well.

added: our dealer didn't promote it either, I think we may have been the first one. Is that because it's new? idk

also, you are right, it will wear off sooner or later and will need to be redone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ask your dealer, why wash your clothes, they'll just get dirty. Why take a bath, you'll just get dirty. Sharkhide is a protectant, and like most protectants, car wax, house paint, etc... Will need reapplied after time, but for a couple hundred bucks to keep your Benni looking nicer a couple more years, it's worth it.

I still find it odd how dealers try to "talk" people out of a sale. I can see on certain things, but something like Sharkhide is a no brainier.

Also bear in mind, by the time "you" Sharkhide the toons, any discoloration from sitting will stay unless you polish it out first. (And it does not take long to start getting water streaks from rain)

I'd give up a stereo in exchange for S-hide. A stereo is easy to install after the fact. I wish I had it. My toons look horrible.

I didn't order it by choice. I didn't want the maintenance for reapplying down the road. If it was a one time spray and your done it would have been a different story. Plus I keep my boat on a lift so it is only wet when used. I get more comments on me passing other boats and there is a 200hp motor on the back than looks of digust from my toons being discolored from getting wet. Plus when I'm on the boat, I looking at my hot wife, not down at my toons. I love you guys but I'm starting to wonder if your drinking the shark hide!!!

disclaimer- my comment is based on my own opinion and was not indended to create a battle surrounding shark hide, just another owner giving their input.

(Standing on top of a soap box yelling)

SHARKHIDE SHARKHIDE SHARKHIDE! !!!!

Get sealed stakes. I heard water sloshing around in mine as I was backing it into the garage for the winter. First time I noticed it. It can't all drain out, and it will no doubt turn to ice before it all evaporates. Probably won't hurt anything freezing, but between that, the annoying bubbling, the sloshing, and the extra buoyancy, I'd pay the difference for sealed strakes if I could do it over.

Oh, and...

SHARKHIDE SHARKHIDE SHARKHIDE! !!!!

I already drank that kool-aid.

I love this forum. God bless America.

Boat was built last week.  Talked to dealer today.  He said he is expecting to see it tomorrow.  They already have the motor.  They are going to rig and I will do the final inspection and then I will pay.  The dealer is going to store it inside for the winter...which is great.  I was thinking that it would get wrapped and stored outside.

I'll take a bunch of pictures when I inspect it.  I'm thinking a week or so for them to setup and rig.

BTW - I did get sealed strakes, but no sharkhide.  I just couldn't afford it. LOL

Awesome and congrats. I am a big believer in sealed strakes. For what's it worth, my dealer didn't recommend the sharkhide.

Cheers, Steve

Most on here strongly advise sharkhide.  I would suggest you buy it and do it yourself

Most on here strongly advise sharkhide.  I would suggest you buy it and do it yourself
I know...if you read the above posts, there was much discussion about Sharkhide and its benefits.  I was trying to be funny about the can't afford it comment after spending $70K

Just got a text from my salesman.  My boat is almost done.  Should be ready on Friday.  We will inspect and pay.  They are then storing it inside for the rest of the winter.  Won't be long and days will be getting longer!!!  Can't wait :)

Thought I'd share to get everyone thinking of spring!

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful Boat with a monster pushing it.  Do like the pillowtop

Beautiful! I thought my 200 looked big but a 300 must look crazy in person! You think like me in regards to the days getting longer soon!

Sharkhide was not available on my 2011 boat. Wish it was.  But i did go for the sealed strakes vs non sealed.  Actually, it was stumbled upon as my salesman said the non seald vs the seald was no difference in price,, so go for the seaed version. Again, I ordered this boat in 2011, so not sure what the current boat builder says about costs between sealed and no sealed.  I try to stay off that because I know I'll pull a PADS and talk and build myself into a new boat :rolleyes:

BTW, you have a beautiful boat. Congrats. 

Todd

Back