Boat Lift for Boathouse

birdieman

Reaction score
Is anyone lifting there boats out of the water for storage when not in use? I need to store our 22 foot Bennington with 250 hp. The boat house has a electric sling now but i am worried using this with the pontoon. Any ideas?

My understanding you are not suppose to lift a pontoon boat with straps. The inward pressue applied by the staps will strain the pontoons. I modified the boathouse old strap lift with this cradle assembly. While he was changing over to the the cradle assembly, I had him replace the cables.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's ours. Do not use straps!

Hello Birdieman. This is my present lift. Pics are from last fall. Lakemaster from Muncie , Indiana is coming this week to install my middle bunk for my new ESP. It is a Hi Tide overhead lift out of Fort Pierce Fla. Just a great lift, has remote control so as I come back in I can drop the lift into the water and raise it while I am gone. Gerry (still haven't figured out how to add the small photos to posts, so its in the gallery)

Forgot to mention, ours is a Hi-Tide also. We have the remote which is very convenient and we have the light module to turn the lights on and off with the remote.

I made the mistake and used two 5" nylon straps with a 3/4 hp 2800 lb. Ace Lift to lift my pontoon boat. Eventually, I had a 3' small dent in one 24' U shaped foam filled pontoon toward the rear. The dent has not affected my boat's performance, however.

There's no substitution for a steel frame and wooden supports under the boat. Most boat houses on our lake are using a 4 inch channel iron rectangular frame (approximately 11'X 15') with two cross members and two 2x8's bolted to the frame lengthwise under each 'toon.' The channel is welded at all corners and at each end of the cross supports.

When I built my boathouse 20 something years ago, they were not so elaborate. Now, virtually all our new docks are concrete topped, and boathouses have concrete ceilings 15 1/2' off the water.

Is anyone lifting there boats out of the water for storage when not in use? I need to store our 22 foot Bennington with 250 hp. The boat house has a electric sling now but i am worried using this with the pontoon. Any ideas?
I have a Floe VSD5000 lift for my 2275 RCW LTD ESP with 225HP. I love this lift. Very quiet, has a remote control to raise and lower from water or shore. Would highly recommend.

Thanks for the information will definatly not be using straps to lift boat. I have one more question my boat is a 2250 RCL with a 250 etec. I have not recieved deliverly yet but would like to make sure the boat house bumpers are installed at the proper height so they will protect the boat untill i get the lift issue solved. Does anyone know the height they should be installedd at? Here is a link to the bumpers being used.

Amp Marine

My pier and walkways around the boathouse are about 3 1/2' above the water due to being in a seasonally high wave location.

I installed my last bumpers vertically--rather than horizontally--to keep my boat from going under the dock and causing damage. It's worked great.

Back