Boat Lift recommendations please

JeffS

Reaction score
I think we are going to sell our home and buy a house on a local lake. We've always wanted to make the move, but kids in school made it impractical/impossible. With all of the kids done now...it's time.

I'm going to go with lifts right away. I need 2.

One for the Bennington...as you can see from my signature, it's a tritoon and it's heavy. 4200 pounds dry.

The second will be for a Malibu direct drive ski boat.

I may be able to find a used lift for the Malibu, that's a pretty common size boat. But I may still go with a new one. Not sure.

The Bennington though - I don't think I'll have any choice but to go new.

Looking for recommendations.

I know I'm not doing sea legs. I know I want a canopy on both lifts. I know I want motorized winch setups, 12V with solar.

I just got done sending emails to Pier Pleasure, Dock-Rite, Newmans, Shorestation, Hewitt, Porta-Dock and Vibo. I'm not sure who all has a dealer in the area, or what other arrangements are possible. A local dealer will be a big plus. But not a $2,000 - $3,000 plus.

Anyone have any suggestions or opinions? Shorestation and Pier Pleasure have nearby dealers and a lot of market share. But they seem like they are a lot more expensive than others. I don't have a good handle on what the difference between a $6,000 lift and a $10,000 lift could possibly be...if they are all canopied motorized lifts. Any help is appreciated.

We have a Shorestation 6000 hydraulic with 30' extended depth Sunbrella canopy and we love it. It's not the cheapest, but worth it to us. Easy drive on/drive off, less than 20 seconds lift up or down. I generally don't need a cover on at all for rains, though I generally put it on anyway just to keep the pollen, bug, spider, bird crud out.

Here us a video link to ours from the inside http://vimeo.com/73948755

Also, a lot of it depends on local water conditions, how deep and gradual the slope is, bottom material, dock configuration, there are lots of details. I really liked the Pier Pleasure hydraulic but it just wasn't available locally. We kept our Malibu's on Hewitt cantilevers for 20 years. Very easy to fix, cheap to keep, simple and reliable, parts are readily available.

I went with a craftlander. 4500 capacity but they are tested to double that. I'm impressed at how well it is built. I have vinyl bunks for all three toons and have another set for load guides. Works great. Here is a video of it holding up in high winds. 28'canopy and the back unzips to allow for extra clearance when pulling in if needed. I initially had a lot of noise but the manufacturer came out and replaced the pulleys. Problem solved.

http://youtu.be/L4Jk6TYB4sk

Last edited by a moderator:
And good call moving to the lake. I couldn't live off a body of water now. We've lived in our current home for over 4 years now and love it. Every time I pull in the drive it feels like I just pulled up to a cabin and I'm on vacation.

@lakeliving good video!  I've been on the lake 4 years also and cannot believe how brutal the weather can be!  This is EXACTLY what I want to see when talking about anything that goes on the water (WILL IT WITHSTAND HIGH WINDS?).  I'm fjust a few miles east of you and facing SouthWest and everything comes at me head-on like your video.  nothing is safe when you get 60mph gusts.  Great testament.

I really like how that hydraulic lift lifts. So much faster. Now I have to decide if that's worth $2,000.  :)

If hydraulic fits your budget, go that route. You WILL regret it if you do not.

If there is a dealer in the area that offers seasonal install/removal services, buy from them. You may not be interested in their services now, but that can change.

Also, make sure they offer service calls on lift repair/maint.

I recommend electric over battery for obvious reasons.

If you go battery, do an onboard charger. I've seen more people unhappy than happy with solar chargers.

Best option is 220V

Once again, if budget allows go w/Seamark fabric.....nice stuff.

We have a Shorestation 6000 hydraulic with 30' extended depth Sunbrella canopy and we love it. It's not the cheapest, but worth it to us. Easy drive on/drive off, less than 20 seconds lift up or down. I generally don't need a cover on at all for rains, though I generally put it on anyway just to keep the pollen, bug, spider, bird crud out.
Hi Tom...tell me about your Sunbrella canopy.  One issue I have with the Shorestation lifts is the shallow canopy.  Many others have deep canopy frames that allow the toon to be tucked up nice.  Not so with the Shorestation.  I'd like to know more about your Sunbrella.

All: 

I've been pricing Lifts and it is taking me a bit to get over the sticker shock.  Shorestation 50120 (5000lb) hydraulic with, remotes, battery, battery tender,  a 30' shorestation canopy and "pontoon racks" with extra bunks for center toon is coming in around $15K setup and installed. 

I priced a Floe (arguably similar quality to Shorestation) VSD5000 with 28' canopy and 3 bunks (fast - similar to shorestation in operation, but uses a screw vs hydraulic ram).  It came in around 11.5K cash and carry.  $175 to assemble and me pickup.  Didn't get installed price.

I priced a Porta Dock Lift - 5000lb vertical with 3 bunks, remotes, lifttech elec winch (replaces wheel, so it will be slow) - $9.5K cash and carry

Tough to get cheap when I've spent what I've spent on the boat, but I struggle with Shorestation value being 4-5K more than other options AND not having a canopy that I like.

Shoremaster, Hewitt, Dock Rite, Pier Pleasure also common in Minnesota.  I've not seen Craftlander

I'm coming from a Vibo 3600 manual crank, cantilever with no canopy.  It is a very "economy" lift.  Worked fine for my old toon.    Had it been a 4500lb or larger, I'd probably have kept it.  Just not big enough for new boat.

I've got a Shorestation and Floe dealers 5mi from my cabin.  The others I priced were all pickup and I would assemble.  Never a shortage of places to give my money since I have a new boat.  Will probably do something by the end of March since there are some "boat show" deals until then.

Hi Tom...tell me about your Sunbrella canopy.  One issue I have with the Shorestation lifts is the shallow canopy.  Many others have deep canopy frames that allow the toon to be tucked up nice.  Not so with the Shorestation.  I'd like to know more about your Sunbrella.

All: 

I've been pricing Lifts and it is taking me a bit to get over the sticker shock.  Shorestation 50120 (5000lb) hydraulic with, remotes, battery, battery tender,  a 30' shorestation canopy and "pontoon racks" with extra bunks for center toon is coming in around $15K setup and installed. 

I priced a Floe (arguably similar quality to Shorestation) VSD5000 with 28' canopy and 3 bunks (fast - similar to shorestation in operation, but uses a screw vs hydraulic ram).  It came in around 11.5K cash and carry.  $175 to assemble and me pickup.  Didn't get installed price.

I priced a Porta Dock Lift - 5000lb vertical with 3 bunks, remotes, lifttech elec winch (replaces wheel, so it will be slow) - $9.5K cash and carry

Tough to get cheap when I've spent what I've spent on the boat, but I struggle with Shorestation value being 4-5K more than other options AND not having a canopy that I like.

Shoremaster, Hewitt, Dock Rite, Pier Pleasure also common in Minnesota.  I've not seen Craftlander

I'm coming from a Vibo 3600 manual crank, cantilever with no canopy.  It is a very "economy" lift.  Worked fine for my old toon.    Had it been a 4500lb or larger, I'd probably have kept it.  Just not big enough for new boat.

I've got a Shorestation and Floe dealers 5mi from my cabin.  The others I priced were all pickup and I would assemble.  Never a shortage of places to give my money since I have a new boat.  Will probably do something by the end of March since there are some "boat show" deals until then.
It's 30' from Larry's Canvas in Lagrange IN. He's done quite a few like this one lately, mainly for wake boats, but it works great for my pontoon!

It has 3' drop sides, zippers on both front and back with roll up ends. It is also partially lined with vinyl inside. There are special tie down pockets and chains on the sides. This allows the sides to "give" a little in the wind, which is necessary. Otherwise, a big gust might pick the whole thing up (think giant parachute).

I am looking at changing to the new for 2015 side load guides, which have a flare on the entry. The existing 3 toon guides do not have that and in the wind and trailing wakes it can be a little challenging threading it in at times. I have a video of me doing it on a calm day if you're interested.

I'd be glad to email you my invoice on the whole setup if you want. It was a big one to swallow, but I haven't regretted it for a minute.

It's 30' from Larry's Canvas in Lagrange IN. He's done quite a few like this one lately, mainly for wake boats, but it works great for my pontoon!

It has 3' drop sides, zippers on both front and back with roll up ends. It is also partially lined with vinyl inside. There are special tie down pockets and chains on the sides. This allows the sides to "give" a little in the wind, which is necessary. Otherwise, a big gust might pick the whole thing up (think giant parachute).

I am looking at changing to the new for 2015 side load guides, which have a flare on the entry. The existing 3 toon guides do not have that and in the wind and trailing wakes it can be a little challenging threading it in at times. I have a video of me doing it on a calm day if you're interested.

I'd be glad to email you my invoice on the whole setup if you want. It was a big one to swallow, but I haven't regretted it for a minute.
Thanks Tom...now I understand.  You have a custom canopy made with Sunbrella material.  I'd be curious what the cost was to know if was similar to the cost of the Shorestation canopy.

Do you currently have the shorestation "pontoon rack"?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9_mCPES3Ek  with standard bunks for center tube?  If so, I had not heard for 2015 that they flared the ends.  I could also see having 3 sets of bunks and the separate guides that could be flared. 

I'd be interested in seeing your configuration.   eg..Do you have screw legs?  Or just the standard legs?   Price would be interesting, but from what I can tell the prices would be a couple years old?  Feel free to send it to "stealth_tt at hotmail.com" if you can't send it via forum message.

I saw your video linked in a post above..pretty sweet.  Thanks!

Thanks Tom...now I understand.  You have a custom canopy made with Sunbrella material.  I'd be curious what the cost was to know if was similar to the cost of the Shorestation canopy.

Do you currently have the shorestation "pontoon rack"?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9_mCPES3Ek  with standard bunks for center tube?  If so, I had not heard for 2015 that they flared the ends.  I could also see having 3 sets of bunks and the separate guides that could be flared. 

I'd be interested in seeing your configuration.   eg..Do you have screw legs?  Or just the standard legs?   Price would be interesting, but from what I can tell the prices would be a couple years old?  Feel free to send it to "stealth_tt at hotmail.com" if you can't send it via forum message.

I saw your video linked in a post above..pretty sweet.  Thanks!
Yes, I have that pontoon rack in a tri-toon setup. They just add a pair of 14' poly bunks and brackets for the center, set flat for the ESP.

The new guides are general purpose tan colored pvc coated side guides with flares at the entry like Craftlander and others use. They're not specifically for pontoons nor for this rack, but my dealer says he can make it work. I saw them at the boat show and they are VERY strong, loved them. He would just remove the 4 outside bunks and put them on standard vertical brackets instead of the black steel ones with the existing side load black poly bunks.

My lift sits on very level firm sand and the water level on our spring fed lake varies less than 12" in a typical year, so I didn't buy the screw adjustable legs. In 2 seasons I haven't felt the need for them as it's very stable.

Also, I used to hate the Shorestation canopy frame until I lived with it. It works very well and I don't have concerns about it flipping over in the wind at all.

I did a TON of research before I bought this, especially vs the Floe, so I can fill you in on that if you want. They don't sell Pier Pleasure here, but that would have been my second choice if I did conventional cantilever hydraulic style. Feighner is also a very good hydraulic unit.

I love my craftlander. I have a 28ft high top canopy and it works great.

img_0841.jpg

Looking for something affordable

Otherwise for me it wouldn't make sense

More of a want than a need

I love my craftlander. I have a 28ft high top canopy and it works great.
Lake,

Above you mentioned that you have a 4500 that was "tested to twice that".  I get that, but a rating is a rating.  Have you weighed your boat?  I've not, but I'd expect it to come in at around 4300 with fuel(51 gal).  Add passengers and you go up from there...maybe I'm over estimating weight?  A rating is a rating.    From what I understand, you should keep it around 80% to give you margin for loading as each end is only good for 1/2 of the total.  eg.  2250 in front and 2250 in back. If you load too far back, you can get a lot of weight on rear of lift.   This thought process is forcing me to look at bigger 5-6K lifts. 

Looking for something affordable

Otherwise for me it wouldn't make sense

More of a want than a need
If this one is a hydraulic cantilever lift, I'd suggest looking at different styles.  I understand that since the hydraulic cylinders are submerged when stored, they can corrode quickly and fail.

Mine is built like a brick crap house with double I beam cross members. Lawyers have created reduced ratings well below an actual capacity. I'd say buy what you think will work best for you. For me I dont have any reservations about mine not safely holding my baby.

Mine is built like a brick crap house with double I beam cross members. Lawyers have created reduced ratings well below an actual capacity. I'd say buy what you think will work best for you. For me I dont have any reservations about mine not safely holding my baby.
Does your boat weigh over 4K lbs?

I've not weighed it but according to Bennington and Yamaha no. Boat is 3064. Motor is 489 dry. 32 gallon tank let's say 200 pounds. So 3800 plus gear. I live on the water so there is only the battery and life jackets on top of that. I don't have the extended deck like Dan as I know his boat weighs more.

Back