Boat Lifts

Duckgrinder

Reaction score
Well I went to a local boat show yesterday to go look at a new lift for my new benni. Wound up with a Hewitt brand 3800lb hi-lift vertical lift with electric winch. I asked the owner of the lift company what is the best way to lift my new boat, under the floor or by the toons. He said under the floor.

Now when I search through the forum I find where TB says to lift by the toons. Do I need to change my order? Is it ok to lift by the deck? Now is the time to make any changes if I need to.

I asked this question a bunch of times with dealers and Bennington and either way is fine. It is a very robust structure underneath.

Great, I was looking at old posts and didn't know what to think. Thanks for the reply.

We have a 2011 Sli and the lift is under the deck. It works better for us because our water level is all over the place and we have no trouble getting off the lift even when the water is low. In my opinion it is easier to dock because the deck supports act like guides. We are on a river with a strong current. We are also in Illinois. Where is lake Catatoga

I like support lengthwise under the toons, because our boat is docked where on big water--with whitecaps just about all Winter. We see swells in large storms.

We want our boat about as far out of the water as we can get it. I think it's about 3' out right now.

We have a 2011 Sli and the lift is under the deck. It works better for us because our water level is all over the place and we have no trouble getting off the lift even when the water is low. In my opinion it is easier to dock because the deck supports act like guides. We are on a river with a strong current. We are also in Illinois. Where is lake Catatoga
I'm about half way between St.Louis and Springfield, there is a mark on the owners map. I agree it will almost act like guides when docking.

I will take a pic next month of my cantilever lift. It lifts by the haul because the water is too shallow any other way.

No problems and I have a heavy boat.

So, I have decided to put off the tritoon lift decision until I open the cottage up, get the boat in the water and do some measuring of water depth, etc. I've browsed lots of pics of lifts and am still struggling with one major issue...how to get on the boat?? Some members on this forum have beautiful lifts and I agree that it would be best to keep my new tritoon on a lift. It just seems that most lifts leave a pretty good size gap between the dock and the lift and I am trying to picture getting my 3 young children, dog, wife, cooler of beverages, etc on the boat safely and easily without having to do a long jump. Is the gap not that big of a deal? My boat will butt up against the 36 ft. dock on the starboard side and the front won't be close enough to the shore so we will be boarding from the front or rear. Any thoughts?

Our toon butts up against the dock at the bow. Very easy to get on or off. Never a problem from babies to old farts like me. B) This pic isn't very good but you can see the bow is up close.

gallery_1200_196_1778149.jpg

If it's too far you could have a ramp or "plank" that you could keep at the dock.

Skip,

All depends on the lift and it's footprint. Some lifts have a 10' width, which would put your floor about 9" away from the dock. Some lifts are "narrow pontoon lifts" which are about 114" or less depending on the brand, which would get you closer. Most make a shallow water lift option in both if water depth is an issue. I'm researching the same thing now, and will decide between the Summit hydraulic, or Feigner hydraulic. Both are cantilever type lifts. Feigner makes a shallow water series {18" water depth} if need be. I have the Mastercraft on a Summit lift with very little issues in 5 years. The Summit pistons are "home" when the boat is up. This is a nice feature because it keeps lake plaque from forming on the shafts which can cause them to stick sometimes. Most lifts, the pistons are out when the boat is up. Jim at Summit told me he has a patent on that design, that's why it's the only one like that, as far as I know. The hydraulic lifts are more money than the cable, but they are quiet and clean looking. Good luck with your decision!!

Our lift goes all the way to the bottom so if there's enough water to float, We're good to go. Haven't had a problem since it was installed in 2008.

I have Feighner and Summit in my crosshairs as well...both seem to be very well-made. I think they are both 120" wide too. As Sweet T mentioned, I guess that only leaves 9" between the outside of the boat deck and the dock? If so, that shouldn't be much of a step. It just looks like more distance in the pics. I would definitely want some sort of rail guides on each side to guide it in but those could be butted up as close to the dock as possible? I am just planning ahead. I guess I will just wait until I have the boat tied up at the dock and do some measuring. Thanks!

The ShoreStation has a composite 6" step attached to the dropped side for that very reason. My boat is just turned around so it docks to starboard so no gate access there. It's about a foot from the dock to the the aft deck.

I have a "T" in front we will board from, about 9" due to the motor stop in the rear. I was committed to the Feighner until I considered the water depth. Even the shallow water version is going to take more than you think. I studied it to death and visited with Scott a couple of times too. Great guy and a terrific product he has for the right situation, just not for mine.

My lift is being instaled tomorrow.

post up some pics when it's in!

Last summer when I got my ESP I added a center pair of bunks slightly wider to accommodate the ellipitical toon. Like Carls, I usually board from the front. Oops, bow. We just step on. I also added a handrail (Overtons part#80957) to assist in boarding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dang, I always get a warm fuzzy feeling when Gerry posts up pics of his setup. It would be sweet to have!!

You read my thoughts Derrick. I always look at the photos in the gallery he posted a while ago. I keep telling my self one of these days I'll have a "front" yard to be proud of. Lake folks know what I mean by that.

Yes we do. B) We were blessed to be able to get this home on the water. I don't think it would have been possible today.

Back