Boat sits lower & lower in the water

Rhettro

Reaction score
I have 2014 2275 GS with Yamaha 150, 25” toons, and lifting strakes. I purchased this boat new. It is not a tri toon. It does have center floor storage. New, it would run 36 mph and 32mph with 4 adults. Now it’s running about 27-28 mph depending on number of people, wind, etc. Algae, etc. is not the issue. It actually sets lower in the water. Is toons taking on water common? I’m not finding any leaks (I’ve been looking for several years now). Could it be condensation? It sat in the water full time from 2014 to 2019. Any help would be truly appreciated.

How do you have center floor storage without it being a tri toon?

My thought, and question, as well. That said, sounds like a water in toons situation with how you describe it sitting lower in the water these days. That’s the only thing that should account for that. Ditto Michiman’s advice. I‘d do that soon to figure it out before it gets “too low” in the water if you know what I mean. Good luck!

Having had a leaking toon, testing on the trailer is easy. Stand on one side of the boat and have somebody move forward 2 feet and brake hard. You will hear water moving if that is your problem. I had 900lbs of water in the toon when I found the problem.

Funny, I get asked that all the time. When I was ordering my boat from the local dealer I was interrupted quickly with “you can’t have in floor storage without tri toon”. I let them know that it’s on my build from Bennington’s website that you told me you thoroughly reviewed. Lol. And my 2008 Bennington that I purchased used had it as well. L

Attachments

• 8AA3DDB5-99E7-4AFE-AE29-9A37FF8DCE17.jpeg
    8AA3DDB5-99E7-4AFE-AE29-9A37FF8DCE17.jpeg
    127.1 KB · Views: 93
  • A5003EDB-8F03-41E8-B6EE-B3F69E3E1058.jpeg
    A5003EDB-8F03-41E8-B6EE-B3F69E3E1058.jpeg
    117.5 KB · Views: 95
  • 0DCE3480-12FE-464B-993A-FE86E3443097.jpeg
    0DCE3480-12FE-464B-993A-FE86E3443097.jpeg
    138.9 KB · Views: 97
Funny, I get asked that all the time. When I was ordering my boat from the local dealer I was interrupted quickly with “you can’t have in floor storage without tri toon”. I let them know that it’s on my build from Bennington’s website that you told me you thoroughly reviewed. Lol. And my 2008 Bennington that I purchased used had it as well. L
Thats interesting and kind of cool. Does it set under the deck and bolt to the bottom of the cross members? I assume you don't have a waveshield or under-skinning under it?
A pic of it from the bow looking back would be nice to see (if you have time)

As one who has had water in his toons, I feel your pain. I had my re-welded on my dime (because I wouldn't give up the boat for a summer). My end caps on the rough water M brace had little tiny holes at the top of the tubes and after a while, I got water in them. Wasn't huge amounts, but enough when I was cleaning it and rocking the toon side to side on the trailer, I could hear water sloshing. Dont remember exact numbers, but it was like 6 gallons or so on 1 side and 3 or so on the other.
Todd

Thats interesting and kind of cool. Does it set under the deck and bolt to the bottom of the cross members? I assume you don't have a waveshield or under-skinning under it?

As one who has had water in his toons, I feel your pain. I had my re-welded on my dime (because I wouldn't give up the boat for a summer). My end caps on the rough water M brace had little tiny holes at the top of the tubes and after a while, I got water in them. Wasn't huge amounts, but enough when I was cleaning it and rocking the toon side to side on the trailer, I could hear water sloshing. Dont remember exact numbers, but it was like 6 gallons or so on 1 side and 3 or so on the other.
Todd

Todd
Here you go.

Attachments

• B7AC7C32-5562-45D5-B820-931B52F68427.jpeg
    B7AC7C32-5562-45D5-B820-931B52F68427.jpeg
    144.1 KB · Views: 100
Here you go
That's pretty cool. I would have done it for sure but probably not available for the twin 32" elliptical toons I have as my space is very small between them. Do you get any water in it? Its looks like there is a small section in the front where the waveshield ends and the storage pod sets? Or is that sealed and just a illusion of the picture.
Hope you can figure out your issue.

Here you go.
You would think that they would have made the front of that pointy or at least rounded to help it direct/divert the water from hitting it square! That may be worse than hitting an unprotected cross member. Do you feel any surging or water hitting it?!?

You would think that they would have made the front of that pointy or at least rounded to help it direct/divert the water from hitting it square! That may be worse than hitting an unprotected cross member. Do you feel any surging or water hitting it?!?
Good point. I missed that. I am also surprised with the nice waveshield that is installed that there isn't side skirting as well where the tubes attach to the risers.

Regardless, doesn't help Rhettro with it setting lower in the back. Tubes look clean, so its gotta be water getting in someplace adding additional weight

It might be an optical illusion but appears that the lifting strakes are pitching downward going aft. Typically they're level with the pontoons (but maybe not in all cases).

We had problems like that with our previous Bennington (It was less than five years old at the time.) I see from this thread we were not alone. We detected water using the slosh test; had it drilled,sealed/welded and plugged and thought the problem was resolved.

Not so, within one year, we noticed it was running slower and lower. Couldn't hear any sloshing while in the water and couldn't discern sound differences when pinging on the tubes. Unsealed the plug to see if we had water, none found; it was dry inside. It was also getting more and more difficult to handle and dock with Sealegs. (I thought I was aging too quickly.) Then I handled another Bennington, and saw how easy it was to maneuver.

Soon it would start to submarine in front every time we went from high speed to slow speed. Decided it had to have water in it, despite not seeing anything in the rear of the tube. Learned that we didn't see water because Bennington seals each section with full baffles. That would explain the submarining during rapid deceleration. Got it on the trailer and the tires went flat. Needless to say, we were done with that pontoon because I had zero confidence the leakage problems could ever be solved. Traded in for a new one that we will get this Spring.

He must not have access to a trailer.( he did mention waiting for pick up ) When mine had a leak ,holes were drilled in the bottom,then welded so i could use it until the replacement toon arrived

I cringe every time I hear the words “ I’m gonna use some silicone” …

Back