Boat stolen from storage facility

Moving Forward

Reaction score
Matthews North Carolina as of September 2016
Some where between October 30 after returning the boat to storage and today to have it get its 20 hour service at 18 hours before next time I take it out , she is gone / stolen.

really thought it was safe with gated storage with cameras and all. I know it was a sweetheart of a boat, but really!!!!!!!!! Now wait 30 days and take a hit for depreciation I won't be able to purchase it again. No money to pony up for the difference. Grrrrrrrr.

The storage facility assumes no responsibility ?

This happened where I store mine a few years ago.The storage facility's insurance covered it . ( unless it is in your storage contract ) 

Sorry to hear that. Was it a private storage facility or a neighborhood/association?

That just stinks!!!  Hope the find the SOB's and the undamaged boat. Hopefully cameras may help. Best Wishes!!

I can't tell you how bad I feel for you and your family

This is a major concern here as well, gates and camera's do not seem to be sufficient to deter people looking for an easy buck

Our storage facility openly tells everyone he does not carry insurance and that it is our responsibility to have adequate insurance at all times. 

Even when I purchased our new build Benny from dealership I was told to have the boat insured that if anything was to happen it is my responsibility and that was before I took delivery !!!!

Once again I am so sorry , I hope the Police are dilligent in their investigation and are able to locate the boat undamaged.

Be sure to check Craig's List you may be shocked to see pictures of your boat with a price and number for all to see

bestluck.jpg

14980718_1682653742025270_2830332237624088477_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh no, so sorry to hear this!

Some where between October 30 after returning the boat to storage and today to have it get its 20 hour service at 18 hours before next time I take it out , she is gone / stolen.

really thought it was safe with gated storage with cameras and all. I know it was a sweetheart of a boat, but really!!!!!!!!! Now wait 30 days and take a hit for depreciation I won't be able to purchase it again. No money to pony up for the difference. Grrrrrrrr.

That storage area across from Wher Rena boatland Marina?!? Unbelievable! Busy road. Somebody had to have seen something. Lots of businesses in the area (with surveillance cameras) What did the Cornelius police have to say? With any amount of decent investigative police work they should be able to find your boat/catch the thieves. Did you have a hitch/tongue lock on your trailer?!? 

Wow, sorry to hear this. As stated, watch Craigslist and also eBay for parts. Was anything else stolen (from others) or just your boat?

Tongue locks deter, but I used to cable through my wheel also. It will never stop someone but hopefully slow them down or get them to move on. 

So sorry to hear movingforward, I would also think the storage facility would cover it as well.  Might be a bright side if you have to reorder as you might get a chance to order something you wish you had ordered on the first one

BK- yes that is the place.. I had a resse ball lock system on it. The system is a ball that goes up in the tongue with a heavy duty stainless steel u shape bar that locked thru the ball plate. The police took my information and told it will go out over there network system to be watched for. Since knowone knows how long it has been missing until the video tapes are reviewed, it has most likely been moved and stripped. The boat only had 18 hours of use on it and was trailered. Could of put it back on the show room floor as a left over model. 

Link - agree with your thoughts... however I think I am going to be low ball on the value for total loss. This morning I just built the Same boat and it is 7 thousand more and not all the same options I had. Seems I can't get th exact same build going forward. Colors , seat material blue lighting all the way around, snap in carpet. Etc.. this is really dis hearting to me. This boat was my last boat bought the third time.... maybe would switch over the toon setup to sps instead of twin ellip sort package. I was able to hit 45 mph last time out for a short distance. Handle great once you figured it out. Really good for water sports as I could move anything towed behind with a snap of the steering wheel for the most part, and yes it did not bank at all but turn well. I was able to bank some when stopping and then turn around to go pick up those that fell by trim down and punch it -it spun around fairly quick so not much delay to get back to person in the water.  I am hoping this will work out that I get it back in descent shape as I feel I won't be able to afford a new one again of the same shape and setup.

Please keep us all posted, this a horrible situation and brings back the memories of our house being broken into. 

Hopefully the insurance won't low ball you and your dealer goes the extra mile to make it work for you.

The storage lot owns this if they were broken into. They should sit up and take notice after you explain to them that their name will be in the newspaper article if they don't. Most of those places require key codes to get in so one they see the boat leaving on the video they can look at the computerized gate logs. I'm assuming it was inside the fenced area and not in a storage unit.

Is your boat insurance full replacement coverage - mine is. Basically you go find the same boat and they buy it with in reason.

Generally you have to stay after the police. Call frequently and ask what was found on the tapes, have the logs been reviewed, etc.

Hope everything works out and Cornelius police finds it.

Called my mechanic and made sure he installed the hitch lock and through the wheel lock after he winterized it. I keep it in his locked storage yard but it has no cameras/security.

What is the description of your boat?!? I know it has scratches on your outer toon from the storage gate but that's about it......

All I Can Say is ...

The storage areas here and dealers here take no responsibility in the storage , pickup or delivery of our boat !!

I was told this is the norm nationwide, those saying that the storage facility shares the blame do you know this as fact or as opinion ??

Side note.... have been told that adding your boat to your Home Owners Insurance would be less expensive than having a seperate policy 

I called my Insurance Company and was told that the coverage is not as comprehensive if the boat is added to home, just my research on topic.

131614680.jpg

I know the owner of the facility ,so yes .his insurance covered the loss .

Perhaps  insurance requirements vary by state as they do in car insurance .

Hello all - today at three o'clock I was called by the police and asked to meet them to verify they found my boat at Neck Road wild life reserved  / duck cove below lake Norman. Well my wife and I hurried to meet them and they found the boat in perfect shape tried off at the boat launch with old small  bumpers in place and all boat hardware and morning cover and poles untouched. Tilt Steering wheel and motor never moved from my set points when I put it away. Motor, seats and  bindi etc never touch. They took all water sport equipment, life jackets, big bumpers, anchors, ropes, first aid kits, fire extinguisher, air horns and etc. However left the boat again tied up with old small set of bumps. Left extra chair /bow seat neatly in place after emptying and ski pylon and table all wrapped and left in place. Must not thought much of the Obein tube that was new and left behind. 2 Econ and Cornelius police think these guys Or guy has been around marinas for a while and respected the boat. All believe the trailer was the key reason for stealing it. Told in South Carolina trailer needs no tags/ DMV  stuff. Figure since only 20 minutes from sc that was how he would make quick money. *********^^^^^^^^********

So after the trailer and other stuff and including the toon are replaced / same deductible it will be back to new condition. So for how this could  have of turned out, I will take it and am very happy that who ever need the money that bad did respect the boat and not destroy in like they would of up in NY. Was back home by 6pm and had a boat recovery place pick up the boat while I was there to transport Monday to lake Norman marina for 20.9 hour service and replacement Of trailer and toon. I will replace the rest of the stuff also. For sure will be looking for new place to store and may install tracking device / mobile app that lets me know when the boat maybe moving with out me being the one doing it.  Want to just say thank to all the Law Enforcement that played a major role in its return after sitting at this launch for three days.  Some guys returning to the dock were winding why that boat was sitting all weekend. Go figure why  they did call it in. O well. Also thank you to my Bennington family for your responses /caring as you helped me vent and talk it out to keep my sanity.. Moving Forward as my screen name implies.

Fantastic news!!!

Good job by law enforcement!

Congratulations Moving Forward! Don't look back! Then again you'll be able to look back on this and laugh one day!!!

Back