Bowriding......

Unfreeking believable???? Absolute sheer stupidity.

It’s too bad that some young ones are the paying their lives for the stupidity of the “adults”. I don’t know the law in this situation, but it would be good to see manslaughter charge or a “being really really (really) stupid” charge (more punishment than manslaughter) brought against the boat driver and any other participant.

I think what happened is unforgivable. With that being said, how can someone (boat driver) be so stupid. That is what I am trying to figure out. I believe that I don't have many rules on my boat, but safety rules are not negotiable. I will stop the boat immediately if someone is not following the safety rules. I am sure if you surveyed my family, they would all say, they had fun on the boat. Safety rules DON'T get in the way of having fun.

This is not regulated by state . It is a US Coast Guard requirement .

" For children, the US Coast Guard requires that when a vessel is underway, children under 13 years of age must wear their life jacket. Exceptions are for when the children are below deck or within an enclosed cabin."

Our state has regulations on 12 years old and under for mandatory wear based on boat size, and every boat must have enough for all persons aboard.

We take friends out all the time and I'm getting to where I just want to leave them behind for these very reasons! I get so tired of telling their kids to get off of the bowel, get your jacket on... would someone please observe.. it's ridiculous!

We take friends out all the time and I'm getting to where I just want to leave them behind for these very reasons! I get so tired of telling their kids to get off of the bowel, get your jacket on... would someone please observe.. it's ridiculous!
I know you are the Captain of the boat but the parents have to be responsible for their kids too. I am not going to correct or discipline somebodies kids especially if the parents are present......

Reactions: 747
I know you are the Captain of the boat but the parents have to be responsible for their kids too. I am not going to correct or discipline somebodies kids especially if the parents are present......
I disagree with respect, if you are driving the boat and if you see something that could cause someone injury then it is up to you to stop it. Period. Some parents or passengers are not knowledgeable of the dangers on a boat, if someone was to get injured or killed when you are driving I guarantee you that you will be the first person they sue, unfortunately. I have never had any issues telling people to move in the boat due to load levels or to stop doing something that is not safe. If you ask in a nice way people generally are more than understanding, if they are not then they will not be invited out again.

I disagree with respect, if you are driving the boat and if you see something that could cause someone injury then it is up to you to stop it. Period. Some parents or passengers are not knowledgeable of the dangers on a boat, if someone was to get injured or killed when you are driving I guarantee you that you will be the first person they sue, unfortunately. I have never had any issues telling people to move in the boat due to load levels or to stop doing something that is not safe. If you ask in a nice way people generally are more than understanding, if they are not then they will not be invited out again.
I understand. If somebody or a child needs to be corrected on the spot. Sure that's fine. But if the parents are there. I would rather have them do it.

I make it clear and set expectations before we even leave the dock. That way if corrective action is needed they are already warned.

Back