Broken Prop...Need Help

hogman23

Reaction score
Hello folks,
I need some help with a prop replacement. I have a 22SSLX with two toons and a Yamaha F115 on it. Yesterday we hit something underwater inside the river channel and broke one of the three blades off of our prop. It is a 13 1/2 X 15-K, as seen in the attached picture. My problem is, if I have to purchase a new prop, I want to get something a little better than what I have now, and I have no idea how to size it. The main problem that I have is that this prop, even with tiny waves on the reservoir where we boat, seems to surge even when we are going in a straight line. When we are riding in "glass" water, it doesn't do this. I am happy with the top end speed, as this is a 115, and I don't expect too much out of it, but the surging really irritates me. My pontoons do have strakes at the top front of the pontoons, but nothing down the sides.

Can you guys help suggest a prop size/brand/model that would work well with my setup?

Attachments

• IMG_2292.jpg
    IMG_2292.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 39
Those aren’t strakes, they are splash shields.
Are you trimmed down completely when it surges?
As you’ve seen, you definitely want to stick to an alum prop. If you tore a blade off you sure don’t want a stainless one.

Those aren’t strakes, they are splash shields.
Are you trimmed down completely when it surges?
As you’ve seen, you definitely want to stick to an alum prop. If you tore a blade off you sure don’t want a stainless one.

Oh...thank you for the clarification. Yes, I am trimmed all the way down when it surges. Yeah, I didn't have any plans to purchase a stainless prop.

When I had my Yamaha 115, the best prop I found was a 13" Quicksilver Nemesis 4 blade aluminum prop. The top end didn't change from the 3 blade, hole shot was better and I didn't get any low rpm prop chatter like I had with the 15" stainless that came with the boat. Mercury also has the Spitfire which is the same prop. The Nemesis was a bit cheaper.

Back