Can my battery be moved??

ucme2c

Reaction score
Just picked up my new 2021 20SLM with the L-bench seating and privacy/storage area behind L-seat at stern. The battery was located right in the middle of the storage area! I can't get a cooler in there; I can't get a port-a-potty in there; I certainly can't stand in there to change without falling over the battery. If this is the specified location for the battery then it needs to be re-engineered. It's the absolute worse location. It makes the extra room just about unusable. I thought I would ask the forum before I contacted the dealer I bought it from and who put the battery in. Thanks.

That there is some amazing lack of insight into how people actually need to use a boat's design features! Yes. of course, the battery can be moved as it never should have been in it's current location anyway. Hope your dealer will quickly come to that conclusion too...

It can go anywhere - likely it was at the dealer's discretion when rigging, and the 18-year old they had doing it was too busy watching Tik Tok videos instead of thinking. Not a Bennington design intent or issue.

Question is where do you want it? Moved further against the fence within the changing area? External on the aft deck in a battery box? Underneath another seat?

As Party Barge noted, work with your dealer expressing your dissatisfaction and have them relocate to another spot.

Things that make you go Hmmmm. Honestly, what on Earth was that dealer tech thinking when he installed the battery. Yup, i’d call them about it. Seems like they rigged it in the easiest manner possible, with no consideration of actual boat usage. Jeez-wiz.

Things that make you go Hmmmm. Honestly, what on Earth was that dealer tech thinking when he installed the battery. Yup, i’d call them about it. Seems like they rigged it in the easiest manner possible, with no consideration of actual boat usage. Jeez-wiz.
I had thought that same thing also . But, perhaps the factory only ran so much cable. Only the dealer knows .
When I ordered my Q ,I specifically ordered both batteries on the Port side . It arrived with batteries cables on both sides . Dealer offer to change it but it would be a real PIA . Because of the wave shield and rerouting cables .

True. Could be a more reasonable expiation that isn’t apparent at first glance or when on a forum board. I kind of hope so, as I am otherwise scratching my head.

Just picked up my new 2021 20SLM with the L-bench seating and privacy/storage area behind L-seat at stern. The battery was located right in the middle of the storage area! I can't get a cooler in there; I can't get a port-a-potty in there; I certainly can't stand in there to change without falling over the battery. If this is the specified location for the battery then it needs to be re-engineered. It's the absolute worse location. It makes the extra room just about unusable. I thought I would ask the forum before I contacted the dealer I bought it from and who put the battery in. Thanks.
I hate to say this is poor design on Bennington’s part. That is the way it comes from the factory and not the dealer being lazy. On the L floorplan models the batteries go in the changing room. I went back and forth with their engineering dept on this but they said due to the length of the wires and the fact that if they were under the seat it may not have enough clearance they refused to move them. To make matters worse the biggest “upgraded” fuel tank I could do was the 32 gallon and that is in the changing room too. Such a waste of space. With anything electrical you can always extend wires or move the battery location but I would ask the dealer to put it in writing if that would affect your warranty. Hope this helps... :(1621873680411.png1621873788695.jpeg

I hate to say this is poor design on Bennington’s part. That is the way it comes from the factory and not the dealer being lazy. On the L floorplan models the batteries go in the changing room. I went back and forth with their engineering dept on this but they said due to the length of the wires and the fact that if they were under the seat it may not have enough clearance they refused to move them. To make matters worse the biggest “upgraded” fuel tank I could do was the 32 gallon and that is in the changing room too. Such a waste of space. With anything electrical you can always extend wires or move the battery location but I would ask the dealer to put it in writing if that would affect your warranty. Hope this helps... :(View attachment 30066View attachment 30067
A picture helps immensely - the battery here doesn't appear to be too intrusive, but set in the back corner. I was picturing it literally in the middle.

Not ideal, but I would guess an aftermarket box on the rear deck and some labor could free up that area.

Is that your fuel tank under the bench?

A picture helps immensely - the battery here doesn't appear to be too intrusive, but set in the back corner. I was picturing it literally in the middle.

Not ideal, but I would guess an aftermarket box on the rear deck and some labor could free up that area.

Is that your fuel tank under the bench?
Yup, fuel tank and two batteries. The door for the changing room is barely a foot? Would be hard getting a porti potty in there or using it. I believe due to the table being in the rear it is not possible (without a redesign) to do a center toon fuel tank. I really wish Bennington could re-engineer the old L floorplan. All the pontoons I’ve ever rented had a nice big changing area with none of this stuff in there.

I know the question about the fuel tank location has come up before - some models allow the center fuel, some don't. I'm not sure if there was a rhyme to the reason, but in my humble view furniture being surface mounted on the deck shouldn't impede it. Maybe the EPA vents and fill are the determining factor, or some other non-obvious reasons like structural constraints.

It sounds like there is plenty of demand for larger tanks placed out of the way so engineering needs to figure it out, or at least be more clear how to achieve these customer-desired objectives.

The fuel tank is because with that layout you wouldn't be able to access the fuel fittings (which have to be accessible by law) with a center fuel tank. That being said, is it possible to re-engineer the furniture to possibly allow access, possibly, but I believe the problem would be that the rotomolded L seat base would cover the access panel that houses some fuel line connections and also the bilge pump location. They would have to completely redesign the fuel cell and pay for new molds to be made, get recertification by the proper authorities, redesign the center toon, or just say sorry, we offer over a hundred different layout configurations, choose a different one.

Please know that I am not saying this in an a**hole way, just reiterating my previous answer to this question.

Oh and just to mention, I did have a 2009 2075 GLi which has the same change area, and never had a problem using the change room. There are some potties by Thetford I believe that would have fit in there just fine.

Great answer Bulldog, helps clear it up!

I would think there are other privacy options as well (OEM or aftermarket) so if it gets too cramped for the OP in the back storage there could be a workaround. Or better yet - upgrade to a bigger Benny!

I have a 2012 2275RL. I also have the 32 gallon fuel tank and single battery in their. I am still able to fit a regular sized commode in their and use Sanibags in the commode. We love the setup

Thanks for all the replies. I talked to my dealer and they did tell me they could move the battery on the other side of the cables. I was surprised when they said the manufacturer (Bennington} puts the battery there. What a poor design. Even if they move the battery, the cables are still in the way. I have sent an email to Bennington about my concerns. I could not get a jpeg picture to upload.

Thanks for all the replies. I talked to my dealer and they did tell me they could move the battery on the other side of the cables. I was surprised when they said the manufacturer (Bennington} puts the battery there. What a poor design. Even if they move the battery, the cables are still in the way. I have sent an email to Bennington about my concerns. I could not get a jpeg picture to upload.
Truthfully Bennington probably does it for weight distribution reasons.

I had this same problem with my L.. Dual batteries were installed right in the middle of the space making the rest useless. I moved both batteries as close and out of the way possible. I now have my sub back there with my latrine. The battery box screws are pretty short and if you move them yourself you will be screwing into marine grade wood. There was a little bit of extra wire to maneuver the mount boxes around before screwing back down. I put screws back in the holes where they installed them the first time just to plug in the holes.

Reactions: KAM
I had this same problem with my L.. Dual batteries were installed right in the middle of the space making the rest useless. I moved both batteries as close and out of the way possible. I now have my sub back there with my latrine. The battery box screws are pretty short and if you move them yourself you will be screwing into marine grade wood. There was a little bit of extra wire to maneuver the mount boxes around before screwing back down. I put screws back in the holes where they installed them the first time just to plug in the holes.
Pictures??? ;)

Back