Can this screw be removed?

AuthorizedUser

Reaction score
Gang... when I sat in the SX model on the showroom floor oh those many months ago, I was able to swivel the helm chair all the way to the aft port side so I could put my hairy legs on the L-bench. Its nice to face my guests whilst I work on embedding my butt groove in the helm chair. However, when I got my S Series on Saturday, this screw on the chair post is preventing me from swiveling! The sales guy at the marina couldn’t find the correct allen wrench to take it out (shop guys were not around), so I'll ask my compadres... please tell me this screw safely comes out and I'll be able to sit and spin in the way I've always dreamed. In all seriousness, it's a deal breaker if I can't. I'll have to get another chair or rig this one. Give me good news, please!

Attachments

• 20210109_144312.jpg
    20210109_144312.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 103
  • 2020-09-07 15.02.46.jpg
    2020-09-07 15.02.46.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Seems like the correct tool should work. But the other option is to remove the seat and cut away some of the seat flange so that the swivel arc is increased. More work to do that, can’t see why the set screw can’t be removed with correct sized tool.

I like this much better than the lever that they had for years!
This can be disabled (and re-installed if desired) quickly and easily.

I like this much better than the lever that they had for years!
This can be disabled (and re-installed if desired) quickly and easily.
Oh, there‘s still a lever on the left side of the seat to engage the swivel... it’s just this darn screw that needs to be dealt with. I don’t know if it holds some sort of internal piece inside the post or if I could simply remove it (is it somehow holding the seat onto the post?).

On a positive note...an issue to be resolved by the dealer. It’s not working right, but they should be able to easily correct that issue. Then you’ll be comfy in no time.

Can you lift the seat off the post to examine the inside by loosening the friction? I assume that screw is just to limit the swivel travel.

Sometimes they have the limiter screws so that you can't swivel around and hit the back into an object, whether it be the throttle control, part of the helm, steering wheel. I would just double check that there are no obstructions first. Would hate your new seat back to get torn on a bimini leg or something else!

Can you lift the seat off the post to examine the inside by loosening the friction? I assume that screw is just to limit the swivel travel.
We'll find out in April! She's all rewrapped and put away for winter. I only had a few hours with her before she had to go bye-bye.

Sometimes they have the limiter screws so that you can't swivel around and hit the back into an object, whether it be the throttle control, part of the helm, steering wheel. I would just double check that there are no obstructions first. Would hate your new seat back to get torn on a bimini leg or something else!
Gosh, I hope that's not the problem. In the SX model I was able to do it no problem. And that had, what I think was, a more complicated helm with the throttle control further back on the starboard side to the right of the helm chair. I would think on the S model I would have more room to swivel. I'll have to wait until the end of April when I see her again.

Gosh, I hope that's not the problem. In the SX model I was able to do it no problem. And that had, what I think was, a more complicated helm with the throttle control further back on the starboard side to the right of the helm chair. I would think on the S model I would have more room to swivel. I'll have to wait until the end of April when I see her again.
I've never sat in either, so don't worry too much about my post yet, just figured I would mention it so when the time came it would be a mental reminder to check, that's all.

What did the dealer say ?

Just keep thinking of that first time out! It’ll get you through the winter in no time. Y’all are going to have a blast

What did the dealer say ?
Dealer said, "It shouldn't be a problem to remove the screw" but there was no confidence in his tone. It does appear to be a simple removal, but again, I'm not sure what that screw holds onto inside the post. We shall see in April.

Does the dealer still have the SX in the showroom ? You can check that one if he does .

Does the dealer still have the SX in the showroom ? You can check that one if he does .
Long gone! But a great thought.

Gang... when I sat in the SX model on the showroom floor oh those many months ago, I was able to swivel the helm chair all the way to the aft port side so I could put my hairy legs on the L-bench. Its nice to face my guests whilst I work on embedding my butt groove in the helm chair. However, when I got my S Series on Saturday, this screw on the chair post is preventing me from swiveling! The sales guy at the marina couldn’t find the correct allen wrench to take it out (shop guys were not around), so I'll ask my compadres... please tell me this screw safely comes out and I'll be able to sit and spin in the way I've always dreamed. In all seriousness, it's a deal breaker if I can't. I'll have to get another chair or rig this one. Give me good news, please!
Noooo. don't take the screw out that is what holds the thing... you know that thing thing. Omg don't do it.

Noooo. don't take the screw out that is what holds the thing... you know that thing thing. Omg don't do it.
Well, you are just SO MUCH help! :)

The swivel was pretty important to me also, so I get your frustration. We have the SXP and I ended up just zip tying the lever (that allowed it to swivel) in the up position. Worked great all summer and see no reason for that to change. Not sure that will work for you but sharing just in case.

Back