Center toon damp, no sir - simple mod!

scottkp

Reaction score
I was tired of having damp and moldy life jackets in the center toon so bam wam thank you ma’am and here is what I came up with - yes a piece of wood! But man did it sure make a difference.... So simple but I figured I would still share it as sometimes the simplest ideas are the best. (Or at least that is what I am telling myself on this one, haha)

On a side note, just took the boat to storage and thank you to everyone that recommended Macs aluminum bright- although nasty stuff, that was simply pure pleasure to do & instant gratification!

Attachments

• 9BA33EA3-8D8E-4585-8360-3F3F6A8F1147.jpeg
    9BA33EA3-8D8E-4585-8360-3F3F6A8F1147.jpeg
    205 KB · Views: 240
  • 5B325CF3-BF24-4194-81D6-4D61E6CBCF7F.jpeg
    5B325CF3-BF24-4194-81D6-4D61E6CBCF7F.jpeg
    96.5 KB · Views: 236
  • C1C48A93-963D-4BA4-B899-9625C253B916.jpeg
    C1C48A93-963D-4BA4-B899-9625C253B916.jpeg
    161 KB · Views: 226
  • 525DA4B8-AD38-4BB9-9A38-6D1711E84310.jpeg
    525DA4B8-AD38-4BB9-9A38-6D1711E84310.jpeg
    114.7 KB · Views: 227
Simple ideas that work are the BEST. Nice of you to share so others may benefit from your ingenuity.

Couple things. Nice job! .........Now that you acid washed your toons are you going to Sharkhide them before next season to make them easier to clean or keep clean?!? Did you put mothballs and /or dryer sheets in your boat to keep the critters out?!?

Couple things. Nice job! .........Now that you acid washed your toons are you going to Sharkhide them before next season to make them easier to clean or keep clean?!? Did you put mothballs and /or dryer sheets in your boat to keep the critters out?!?
I've heard mixed reviews around sharkhide and to be honest the acid wash was an absolute breeze to do, maybe 30 minutes for all 3 logs. That said, I kind of feel like getting the sharkhide is like throwing money away....Totally my opinion, and I am sure folks will say I am crazy and that it is great stuff.

I do not put anything in the boat to keep the critters out and never have with all the boats we have owned. Maybe I am crazy, as I have seen some horror stories on the internet of racoons and what not getting in and having a field day. We do store inside for the winter, so I hope that limits the number of critters getting in but obviously not going to 100% take care of it.

Side note, I have a 3 yr old and as soon as we dropped the boat off on Monday he said "Dad, I am sad and already miss the boat" ME TOO BUDDY, ME TOO! For those of us that have to winterize, like every year I second guess why I live in the Midwest as I hate snow & the short boating season!!!!

I've heard mixed reviews around sharkhide and to be honest the acid wash was an absolute breeze to do, maybe 30 minutes for all 3 logs. That said, I kind of feel like getting the sharkhide is like throwing money away....Totally my opinion, and I am sure folks will say I am crazy and that it is great stuff.

I do not put anything in the boat to keep the critters out and never have with all the boats we have owned. Maybe I am crazy, as I have seen some horror stories on the internet of racoons and what not getting in and having a field day. We do store inside for the winter, so I hope that limits the number of critters getting in but obviously not going to 100% take care of it.

Side note, I have a 3 yr old and as soon as we dropped the boat off on Monday he said "Dad, I am sad and already miss the boat" ME TOO BUDDY, ME TOO! For those of us that have to winterize, like every year I second guess why I live in the Midwest as I hate snow & the short boating season!!!!
Yeah I understand about the Sharkhide. What made me a believer was when we first moved to Lake Norman and we kept our boat in the water for the 1st time. I had it acid washed and I was supposed to apply Sharkhide and that year we had a fuel pump issue and so I never did it. That summer I had the hardest time getting that crap off of the water line. So that's the one thing I learned about keeping the boat in the water. If Sharkhide is applied I can easily just wipe the waterline off with just a sponge or rag. Since the critters got into my bowrider way back and made nests out of my dock lines, anchor rope etc. I've put mothballs/dryer sheets in there just in case. Habit I guess. Early memories of your son and the boat will be priceless!!!

5th year on Sharkhide. Above waterline my toons still look new except for a couple scuffs.
Best $200 I spent.

I was tired of having damp and moldy life jackets in the center toon so bam wam thank you ma’am and here is what I came up with - yes a piece of wood! But man did it sure make a difference.... So simple but I figured I would still share it as sometimes the simplest ideas are the best. (Or at least that is what I am telling myself on this one, haha)

On a side note, just took the boat to storage and thank you to everyone that recommended Macs aluminum bright- although nasty stuff, that was simply pure pleasure to do & instant gratification!
Fantastic idea. Thanks for sharing!

Scott do you happen to remember how long you cut that board for the center toon...my boat is a couple hrs away. Id prefer to pre cut it if I can. Thanks!

I am pulling this from memory but I believe it was around 18 3/8" - do not quote me on this as my boat is in storage for the winter and I can not find any reference to the actual number.

Either way, I made it a ridiculously snug fit thinking if some jack wagon came ripping through the marina (which often happens) that the pole in the center would stay put.

Hopefully someone in more hospitable climate can chime in with the width of the center toon. Also, mine is a SPS toon so if you have an ESP toon it might be slightly different as well.

This is genius! Definately copying after it warms up enough to remove the Shrink Wrap. Not a fan of Sharkhide either. My boat came with it from factory in 2020 and sits in the Mississippi River from May to October. cleaned the tunes every time we went out which was a lot since retiring in 2019. Still built up hard deposits on tunes. Put moth balls and damp rid under heat shrink in helm and center toon and under seats. Outside next to garage in SE MN but no signs of critters yet...

Sharkhide is not meant to prevent buildup. It’s meant to prevent oxidation and will work off below the waterline in a period of time depending on the water. Mine lasted 6 months under waterline BUT I’m going on year 6 and above the waterline, still looks new (other than scratched areas).

Back