Check in with your cruising speed, RPM, FF and range.

Fltcrew

Reaction score
I know my R 25 is a gas guzzler but please respond with your preferred cruise RPM, speed and would like to know what MPG you are getting.

My R25 with my 200 SHO will plane but will not keep the bow out of the water at 3500 RPM so I cruise at 4000 which gives me about 20mph and I believe around 1.9 mpg.

I am much happier at 5000 RPM and I get closer to 30 mph but I have not computed that FF yet and can only imagine how much worse it gets!

I'm running a 14.25 X 17p 3 blade prop and I am happy with it so far (3rd prop) as it gets a good hole shot and gives me max rpm of around 5950 which is what I was looking for.

I don't want this thread to get into a 3 page prop discussion... there are plenty of those... I just would like to know what RPM you generally set for long range cruise and the speed you get. If you have fuel milage.... even better!

With my 24’ SCWXDL pushed by the Yamaha F-150, I generally cruise at 4000 RPM, which keeps me around 23-25 MPH. I run the Yamaha 14.5” 15P SS prop. Best I can remember, I ran out of fuel around 80 miles. I believe I have a 23 gal tank.

Last edited:
I know with the big boat it is $100 to go from Conley Bottom marina to State Dock. :cool:

Both boats can maintain on plane at 3,000 rpm.

I know with the big boat it is $100 to go from Conley Bottom marina to State Dock. :cool:

Both boats can maintain on plane at 3,000 rpm.
How far is that? No idea about your lake.

It's about 25 miles. The lake is 101 miles long with 1200 miles of shoreline.

We like to cruise around 4000 RPM which is about 30MPH! Running the enertia 14.5 x 17p prop. Not sure of the fuel economy but I know its under 2MPG! Somewhere around 15GPH I believe

All right I'm curious.......What are the formulas to calculate mpg and gph??? On our boat as long as we are not skiing mashing down the throttle our 52 gallon tank lasts a while. We usually cruise at a comfortable 25 mph. But if we have to meet friends at a certain time or have to get home or are trying to outrun the storm......fuel economy is out! Hey if it needs it......Fill it up!

Well, the $4.55 a gallon helps to get to $100 quickly.
It was another $100 to get back to the lake house.
It was worth it though. It was the last time Dad was on the lake and we took him back to where our family boated when we were kids.

All right I'm curious.......What are the formulas to calculate mpg and gph??? On our boat as long as we are not skiing mashing down the throttle our 52 gallon tank lasts a while. We usually cruise at a comfortable 25 mph. But if we have to meet friends at a certain time or have to get home or are trying to outrun the storm......fuel economy is out! Hey if it needs it......Fill it up!
As far as gallons per hour, I keep a log on my phone. I log the gallons per fill up the cost, and the hours on the engine at fill up. Based on that, since I’ve owned the boat, I’m averaging 4.2 gallons per hour for the 48 hours of engine use using 201.5 gallons of fuel.

I have a Bennington 22 SSRXP WITH SPS hull and a Yamaha F150 outboard, mounted in the second hole from the top. I am also using a 3 blade Yamaha reliance series Stainless steel 14.5x15p prop. Get 39 mph at 6000 rpm WOT half tank gas, one person choppy and windy conditions.
My dealer did a really good job on the set up.

My 24 SPS SSBXP with 200 yamaha we usually run a light load, bimini up, me and the wife or possibly 1 other couple. 32 gal tank usually run 30-32mph at 4k RPM, I think the best cruise is at 4200 RPM and it is right around 34-35mph depending on currents (live on the gulf in Cape Coral) 1 tank can run us out to North Captiva or Cayo Costa and back 2 times and its about 18 miles each leg and still have enough not to sweat it on the way home. Not the most fuel efficient or fastest but it sure is comfortable...

With our typical load it will plane at 2600 rpm and run about 15 mph. Top end is 40-44 @ 5800 rpm

I cruise around 3,200 when not in a hurry which is around 20mph or so. Not sure on the fuel burn but I believe that is the most economical based on the Yamaha performance bulletin. Went 45 miles a couple weekends ago and only used a smidge over a 1/4 of gas according to the gauge.

I know my R 25 is a gas guzzler but please respond with your preferred cruise RPM, speed and would like to know what MPG you are getting.

My R25 with my 200 SHO will plane but will not keep the bow out of the water at 3500 RPM so I cruise at 4000 which gives me about 20mph and I believe around 1.9 mpg.

I am much happier at 5000 RPM and I get closer to 30 mph but I have not computed that FF yet and can only imagine how much worse it gets!

I'm running a 14.25 X 17p 3 blade prop and I am happy with it so far (3rd prop) as it gets a good hole shot and gives me max rpm of around 5950 which is what I was looking for.

I don't want this thread to get into a 3 page prop discussion... there are plenty of those... I just would like to know what RPM you generally set for long range cruise and the speed you get. If you have fuel milage.... even better!
I have an R25 with a Suzuki 350. For ski speeds I tow at 2900 rpm at 19.1 mph with 6 people on board. That equates to approx 3.4 mpg. At 4000 rpm with the same load I am running 28.2 mph at 2.6 mpg. At WOT with 2 people I am running 47.4 mph at 5850 rpm which is approximately 1.6 mpg. Those mpg numbers are estimates that are calculated from the Suzuki 350 website on a pontoon of my size using their gph burn rates by rpm, but using my actual speed and rpm numbers. Based on my actual fuel consumption while on the lake, I would say they are very close to what I am getting. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I cruise around 3,200 when not in a hurry which is around 20mph or so. Not sure on the fuel burn but I believe that is the most economical based on the Yamaha performance bulletin. Went 45 miles a couple weekends ago and only used a smidge over a 1/4 of gas according to the gauge.

Wow! You went 45 miles on just over 1/4 tank?? I am so jealous. That would have me AT 1/4 tank

I have an R25 with a Suzuki 350. For ski speeds I tow at 2900 rpm at 19.1 mph with 6 people on board. That equates to approx 3.4 mpg. At 4000 rpm with the same load I am running 28.2 mph at 2.6 mpg. At WOT with 2 people I am running 47.4 mph at 5850 rpm which is approximately 1.6 mpg. Those mpg numbers are estimates that are calculated from the Suzuki 350 website on a pontoon of my size using their gph burn rates by rpm, but using my actual speed and rpm numbers. Based on my actual fuel consumption while on the lake, I would say they are very close to what I am getting. Hope this helps.
What prop are you spinning with that 350? I flashed the ECU on my 200SHO which is supposed to increase the HP to 300-320. My hope is that I can spin a larger prop that allows me better top end but more importably, let me cruise at a lower RMP while still getting bow lift to get the high lift devices on the front of the toons out of the water.

Thanks for you info... very informative

My cruising speed is about 10 M.P.H. with my Yamaha 150 H.P. My RPM I don't care about. I don't know what FF stands for (and probably don't care) and my Range is normally when the Vodka and Lemonade and the beer's are gone. Enjoy your Bennington's !

Last edited:
What prop are you spinning with that 350? I flashed the ECU on my 200SHO which is supposed to increase the HP to 300-320. My hope is that I can spin a larger prop that allows me better top end but more importably, let me cruise at a lower RMP while still getting bow lift to get the high lift devices on the front of the toons out of the water.

Thanks for you info... very informative
The Suzuki 350 is the twin prop outboard and mine has the 21p props.

Back