Cleaning and 303 Treatment of Mooring/Bimini Canvas

kmlmartel

Reaction score
Ok about 3 weeks ago, I took on the project of cleaning the mooring cover, Bimini top, and boot.  Now I really didn't want to lay the cover on the driveway or grass so I rigged up an anchor line between two luggage racks on two trucks and basically made a long clothes line to hand the cover on.  This allow me to clean it with a very mild dish soap aka Dawn and let it dry.  I then took a spray bottle and filled it with 303 Fabric Guard to re-treat the water repellency and it turned out great.

I got the 303 Fabric Guard from amazon and it was about 55 bucks for a gallon and trust me for the cover, bimini and boot I used every bit of it. http://www.amazon.com/303-Products-30674-Fabric-Repellant/dp/B0000AY1W7/ref=sr_1_2/188-6166723-5163636?ie=UTF8&qid=1398712440&sr=8-2&keywords=303+fabric+guard

The mooring cover is really a 2 man job due to its size, just to keep it in place in case the wind blew so I enlisted my two kids to help hold it while I cleaned and then re-treated it.  The 303 dries pretty fast so they didn't complain too much.  The bimini and boot one person can handle that.  Just be advised putting the bimini back on the boat is a two man job just because of how tight it is but well worth the effort.

Here is a pic of my setup with two line and just the boot on there but you get the idea:

Thanks Pittsburg...I loved how clean everything came out after a rough winter and the 303 is great stuff adding water repellency back...take care Kris

I will be sure to have 303 with me when I leave the dealer, it is worth the time and effort to

keep the boat looking good. I think it is good for the seats as well. Will know more soon.

First priority is to pick up the Benny ASAP !

27950388.jpg

Last season ,I went through  a similar issue .

I have purchased a "snap kit ".I have a Lot of trees on our lot .I am going to put snaps on our trees and snap the mooring  cover to the trees and spray away 

Just an FYI, the bimini and boot come out good in the washing machine. I take our cover to the commercial laundry and use one of the big machines.

Hey guys,

All great ideas and we also have lots of trees. I may try the snap trick like Jack.

Later,

Marc

Speaking of snaps, do you guys know what size our pontoons have? I need to order some and the boat is 200 miles away. Its a 2275 RCW, if that matters. Any help appreciated.

The 303 products seem to work very well.

Never thought about using a washing machine for the covers.  Good idea.

While re-installing the bimini, did you try to fold the frame, so it not nearly so tight?

Ok about 3 weeks ago, I took on the project of cleaning the mooring cover, Bimini top, and boot.  Now I really didn't want to lay the cover on the driveway or grass so I rigged up an anchor line between two luggage racks on two trucks and basically made a long clothes line to hand the cover on.  This allow me to clean it with a very mild dish soap aka Dawn and let it dry.  I then took a spray bottle and filled it with 303 Fabric Guard to re-treat the water repellency and it turned out great.

I got the 303 Fabric Guard from amazon and it was about 55 bucks for a gallon and trust me for the cover, bimini and boot I used every bit of it. http://www.amazon.com/303-Products-30674-Fabric-Repellant/dp/B0000AY1W7/ref=sr_1_2/188-6166723-5163636?ie=UTF8&qid=1398712440&sr=8-2&keywords=303+fabric+guard

The mooring cover is really a 2 man job due to its size, just to keep it in place in case the wind blew so I enlisted my two kids to help hold it while I cleaned and then re-treated it.  The 303 dries pretty fast so they didn't complain too much.  The bimini and boot one person can handle that.  Just be advised putting the bimini back on the boat is a two man job just because of how tight it is but well worth the effort.

Here is a pic of my setup with two line and just the boot on there but you get the idea:

And the great thing is that water now beads up and runs right off the kids!!  No more raincoats required.

I actually just treated mine 2 days ago while on the boat.  Got a new 21SLX about 2 weeks ago.  Climbed under the playpen cover after the first rain and found the carpet soaked by stripes of water directly under every cover seam.  Complained to my dealer and they gave me some 303 to apply.  (Ignoring the fact that a cover that doesn't keep the rain out is pretty worthless.)

I was faced by a forecast for 4 straight days of rain starting in about 4 hours.  Not wanting to see my new boat drenched for 4 days, and ignoring the instructions for 6-12 hours of cure time after application, I liberally applied the 303 to every seam while the cover was on the boat.  Rain started about 3 hours after I applied the 303.  I went under the cover that night and it was completely dry under all the seams where it was previously drenched.  Great stuff!!

Once the rain stops here in Michigan (probably late June), I plan to spray the entire cover with the stuff.  May spray a little on the dogs as well to keep them from tracking rain into the house. (Just kidding PETA.)

Back