Cleaning brown spots from tanning spray?

wadeslife

Reaction score
Does anyone have any advice on removing little brown spots from the seats that I believe are splatter from spray on suntan or spary on sun block? Looking for anyone who was actually succesful removing the spots and not so much guesswork, or I heard this works or that works. I've read a lot of suggestions in google results, but can't find an instance where someone said "I used product X and it worked" . HELP! I let my son take out the boat with his girlfriend and another couple. Now my seats have freckles!! AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've read about this. It is very common. I don't recall there being a solution.

Do you know the brand so the rest of us can stay away from it???

Or, better yet, does anyone know of a brand that does NOT stain???

Stay away from all sprays.

Suntan lotions, sun screens and bug sprays Will Stain .

It has been posted here several times .

Some of what I've read said it was the propellant in the new spray cans. Is that what you are saying jsfb6tps? That would be consistent with having "freckles" on the seats (points to a spray can vs. lotion bottle). I don't know if the rub-on lotions do it or not...

When I first got our boat we had some suntan lotion that got on one of our forward loungers where the seat lifts up to expose the trash receptacle..........I used L.A.'s Totally Awesome cleaner that you can get at the Dollar Store and w/a little bit of work I got it off.........I used it at first diluted 50/50 but eventually used it full strength. I just sprayed it on and let it soak in for a minute and wiped it off until it came clean..........Use 303 protectant when finished.........

Stay away from all sprays.

Suntan lotions, sun screens and bug sprays Will Stain .

It has been posted here several times .
??? Then we're all screwed. How would you avoid those products?

Is there a seat material that Benny offers that's less susceptible to "product?" I once sprayed some sunscreen on in my friend's car and it did that freckling thing to the black plastic. I believe he got it off with rubbing alcohol and it looks like it never happened. I was worried for a second because it was a $76k Mercedes he bought new a week before.

Rub ons will also stain. I have heard that all an all natural will not .

( http://www.amazon.co...rds=banana boat)

I do not know this to be a fact .

If anyone wants to use anything on my boat they stay on a towel ,or stay home

Hate to say it, but this is why NO spray on is allowed on our toon, and towels on seats are MANDATORY if lotion is on skin.

I do use spray on sun block, standing on the swim platform, only if there is a breeze blowing away from the toon, other than that, it goes on at dock, or we park at island and disembark ..... I know it sounds stupid, but it saves me from these kinds of issues ..... :mellow:

It was a spray on, not sure of the brand. I have already ordered 303 protecterant and LA's Totally Awesome cleaner as well as Duragloss 451. As soon as I can find out what brand of spray it was I will post it. Son borrowed the boat. My wife and I have used rub on sunscreen many times with no adverse effects.

I'll be watching this topic closely because I cannot imagine being on a boat WITHOUT sunscreen on. I still have a 3 inch band of sunburn right above my knees because I didn't spray high enough on my legs and when I sat down the shorts crept up a bit. That was over a year ago now!

Towels on the seats all of the time? That conjures up images of my grandmother's and also my in-law's houses where they had the furniture permanently sealed in some ridiculous, 1/2 inch thick (it seemed) plastic garbage that you would stick to your skin big time (and that's indoors with AC). I know it's asking a lot for this furniture but it seems to stand up to the sun pretty well, why can't it stand up to a little sunscreen?

My previous boat manufacturer (Sea Ray) recommended using Fantastic cleaner on the boat upholstery and it worked well with little spotting after 8 years use. Like was said before, we tell folks to not use the spray sun lotion on the boat and try to keep them on towels but it is extremely hard to do especially with little ones who get lotioned up often. I find it best to try to clean the interior after each use (a quick wipe down with some cleaner and a wet rag) and then focus on any spots as they appear. I also try to get the spider spots off prior to the sun hitting them and that seems much better.

Jack

Is the issue the spray hitting the seats directly from the can (as would happen applying while ON or near the boat) or just already having it on your skin? In other words, if they already have it on, does it matter if it's from a spray can or not? I have to admit I really like the spray on stuff. It's so quick and easy to use.

I don'

Is the issue the spray hitting the seats directly from the can (as would happen applying while ON or near the boat) or just already having it on your skin? In other words, if they already have it on, does it matter if it's from a spray can or not? I have to admit I really like the spray on stuff. It's so quick and easy to use.
I don't think it matters how it is applied . ,It is chemicals on the seats

I think the jury is out concerning the questions of is it something caused only by the spray applicators. .Is it only certain brands? I don't think anyone knows for sure. .I think im going to try and find some place where the seat material is hidden and test a little bit with some different sun screens/ sun blocks and find one that seems safe. Seems like this is an acheilles heel for just about all boat seats. I would think a manufacturer would try to find a durable material that isn't so susceptible to a liquid that most assuradely is going to be used on a boat. We shouldn't have to choose between roasting or covering every inch of our seating with towels????

I think the jury is out concerning the questions of is it something caused only by the spray applicators. .Is it only certain brands? I don't think anyone knows for sure. .I think im going to try and find some place where the seat material is hidden and test a little bit with some different sun screens/ sun blocks and find one that seems safe. Seems like this is an acheilles heel for just about all boat seats. I would think a manufacturer would try to find a durable material that isn't so susceptible to a liquid that most assuradely is going to be used on a boat. We shouldn't have to choose between roasting or covering every inch of our seating with towels????
Even if it is a hidden spot does anyone know if it also weakens the material ?

I am not going to try it on mine .

Perhaps we could get some scrap samples from the factory and do a test .

Even if it is a hidden spot does anyone know if it also weakens the material ?

I am not going to try it on mine .

Perhaps we could get some scrap samples from the factory and do a test .
That's an Idea with some legs.. sea legs I mean.. Post results with pics. could save a lot of heartache for boaters all over.

I'll be watching this topic closely because I cannot imagine being on a boat WITHOUT sunscreen on. I still have a 3 inch band of sunburn right above my knees because I didn't spray high enough on my legs and when I sat down the shorts crept up a bit. That was over a year ago now!

Towels on the seats all of the time? That conjures up images of my grandmother's and also my in-law's houses where they had the furniture permanently sealed in some ridiculous, 1/2 inch thick (it seemed) plastic garbage that you would stick to your skin big time (and that's indoors with AC). I know it's asking a lot for this furniture but it seems to stand up to the sun pretty well, why can't it stand up to a little sunscreen?
That's hilarious about the plastic sheeting on the furniture! We knew some people like that growing up........Hahahahaha!

:eek:

That's hilarious about the plastic sheeting on the furniture! We knew some people like that growing up........Hahahahaha!
My Grandmother :wub:

I would NOT recommend testing on a hidden spot. Sunscreen not only stains the vinyl but also will make it brittle and weak. My son had a can of the spray on type get left in the seat, which then exploded from the heat of the sun. He wiped it off and finished the day on the lake. When he got home he cleaned the seat as best he could. Within a couple of weeks the vinyl started getting hard and started cracking. He had to replace the seat. I know this was a extreme case, but it proves that it will damage the vinyl. Keep in mind though he had no protectant on the seat to start with. I do not allow spray on types of any brand on my boat. I do however let them use the rub on type, but sparingly. I then wipe down the seats regularly and use the 303 protectant and have not had any issues. I think the key is keeping them clean and protected.

Back