Cleaning tubes

mtudb24

Reaction score
So how often do you guys clean your tubes? Every time we go out, we always stop at the sand bar and clean the tubes. Its a pain in the ass, but I don't notice much if any speed drop over the summer. We are in Saginaw bay and lake Huron. Water temps don't get real warm, so its not like the southern folks and salty guys that get barnacles and heavy fouling with slime and alge.

Just curious...

Todd

So how often do you guys clean your tubes? Every time we go out, we always stop at the sand bar and clean the tubes. Its a pain in the ass, but I don't notice much if any speed drop over the summer. We are in Saginaw bay and lake Huron. Water temps don't get real warm, so its not like the southern folks and salty guys that get barnacles and heavy fouling with slime and alge.

Just curious...

Todd
I'm guessing that you keep your boat in the water..............We trailer our boat so at the end of the day we just float it back on our trailer, towel off the entire boat including the pontoons and put it back in the marina storage yard.........

I pull it out once a month bring it home and power wash the tubes and take it back to the slip.

I'm one of those southern warm water boaters in a slip. When in swimming I try try to do the best t can to do some scrubbing.definitely a difference in scum build up towards the dock side where water flow is less. Our water temp is 85 right now.

One of these days I'll anchor up in five feet of water and do a better job. I use the finest 3M pads.

The commercial guys used to be able pull a boat and pressure wash it at a ramp and put it back in. No more. I guess if one owns a trailer you could pull a clean at the ramp as long as the TWRS doesn't come around. Tennessee Water Resource Authority.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a soft scrub pad with handle I got at HD. I just scrub them every couple weeks now when we tie up at the island.

It's much easier every couple weeks, then every couple months when the scum gets real thick. Waters in mid 80's and scums growing fast now.

Spent an hour in the 79 degree water today with a scrub brush and soft cloth on the motor. Not too bad after a couple of hot months and not having been out for about four weeks. Good aquatic upper body workout too.

Back