Could not gas up my boat

MikeOnTheLake

Reaction score
I launched my new to me 2016 ssxapg today for the 1st time and put it on the lift. On the way to the ramp I stopped at a 7-11 to fill up the gas tank. I gave up after 10 minutes after putting in less than 1/2 gallon. Nozzle would shut off and then if I continued gas would overflow from the filler neck. The tank only had a bit more than a 1/4 tank, so it was definitely not full. Is there a trick to gassing up a Bennington, or what am I missing?
Thanks!

First, try another pump, you may have had a glitchy one. If that does not work, they may have supplied a small funnel with your boat. Put that in, then the nozzle tight against the neck of the funnel. The funnel sticks down in further past the vent mechanism. The new fuel hose system (EPA requirement) can be a pain. Also check to make sure fuel line doesn't have a kink or "p trap" in it. Your dealer may have to adjust hose length/routing if you can't.
Also, try turning the nozzle to different angles, 3 o'clock, 9 o'clock, etc ... that might help too.

Sorry you are having problems gassing up the Bennie. I have heard of that issue before but I don’t recall the solution. If SemperFi’s advice doesn’t work call MarineMax in Greenville. There number is 864-236-9005. They are the closest Bennington dealer, actually where I bought mine. Ask for Chris in the service department. He has been very helpful to me in the past.

If you have a spring loaded flapper at the bottom of the filler neck , take it off and see if that helps. If it still fuels slow it's time to trace the tank vent lines and make sure they aren't sagging anywhere holding fuel and blocking it from venting properly. Check the end of the vent line to make sure that isn't plugged up...there is a small screen there. Also make sure the charcoal canister filter isnt plugged if you have one.

Had that issue myself. For me (and other on here) it was all about the angle of the gas nozzle going into the filler neck. For a regular gas nozzle, at the 3 o’clock position, it does OK. I also use a shaker siphon and keep it pushed to the left at the mouth, which kind of mimics the angle of the gas nozzle if handle is at 3 o’clock. It is a pain, dealer said there was nothing they can do about it, it’s just the way the new builds are. Interesting the EPA implemented these rules to save the environment, and all it’s doing is causing us to dump gas into the lakes and driveways.

I appreciate the replies and help. I was able to look at my fueling issue more closely this morning. There is a spring loaded flapper about 8 inches down the filler neck that should open from the pressure of the gas when filling. I think the most likely problem is that air is not venting properly from the tank and the back pressure from the air is preventing the flapper from opening and allowing the tank to fill.

In order to troubleshoot and get to the gas and vent lines, I think I need to remove the plastic back from the rear fishing station. It looks like there are only 6 screws that need to be removed and then this back will come off. Can anyone verify if this is the correct way to remove the back and if the fuel lines are accessible behind it? I've attached a picture of the plastic back on the fishing station.

As plan B, I've ordered a funnel with a long skinny spout and will insert this into the filler neck to open the flapper so I can gas up from my gas cans. I normally gas up the boat and jet ski from gas cans when they are on the lift, so this not a big deal for me.
upload_2019-3-3_14-34-13.jpeg

I appreciate the replies and help. I was able to look at my fueling issue more closely this morning. There is a spring loaded flapper about 8 inches down the filler neck that should open from the pressure of the gas when filling. I think the most likely problem is that air is not venting properly from the tank and the back pressure from the air is preventing the flapper from opening and allowing the tank to fill.

In order to troubleshoot and get to the gas and vent lines, I think I need to remove the plastic back from the rear fishing station. It looks like there are only 6 screws that need to be removed and then this back will come off. Can anyone verify if this is the correct way to remove the back and if the fuel lines are accessible behind it? I've attached a picture of the plastic back on the fishing station.

As plan B, I've ordered a funnel with a long skinny spout and will insert this into the filler neck to open the flapper so I can gas up from my gas cans. I normally gas up the boat and jet ski from gas cans when they are on the lift, so this not a big deal for me.
View attachment 24283

Check the package that came with your boat. I thought they were supplying a funnel ...

Ok , that filler looks different than mine. Mines a side fill. Probably still uses same vent canister system.

Check the package that came with your boat. I thought they were supplying a funnel ...
Thanks, but it was a used boat and no funnel. Not a big deal though, Amazon will have the funnel to me Wednesday and I won't get back to the boat till maybe/hopefully next Saturday to work on this problem.

You will have to take off the table top from the fishing station as well. 4 screws will take out the livewell too. You need to do that to get to the screws holding the top on. If I remember correctly , the nylock nuts underneath are 8mm. And yes , 6 screws will take off the back plastic. You need to take all that off because the vent line is probably running down the front of the fuel tank and is vented through the floor. That is where your small mesh screen will be hiding.

I had a ton of issues with mine and got it figured out myself last summer and to the funnel folks...sorry but that isnt a fix to the problem. Just a bandaid. After rerouting lines and fixing the vent to atmosphere location that was through the floor , I can fuel up at full pump speed anywhere I go now. I don't blame Bennington for the piss poor design but they sure don't have any solutions for the problem either and were no help over the phone. The dealers i spoke to are also clueless about what to do.

You will have to take off the table top from the fishing station as well. 4 screws will take out the livewell too. You need to do that to get to the screws holding the top on. If I remember correctly , the nylock nuts underneath are 8mm. And yes , 6 screws will take off the back plastic. You need to take all that off because the vent line is probably running down the front of the fuel tank and is vented through the floor. That is where your small mesh screen will be hiding.

I had a ton of issues with mine and got it figured out myself last summer and to the funnel folks...sorry but that isnt a fix to the problem. Just a bandaid. After rerouting lines and fixing the vent to atmosphere location that was through the floor , I can fuel up at full pump speed anywhere I go now. I don't blame Bennington for the piss poor design but they sure don't have any solutions for the problem either and were no help over the phone. The dealers i spoke to are also clueless about what to do.

Thanks t-l-B;

So, can I take off the back plastic first without taking off the table top? I'd like to do that to get a better view of what I'm dealing with before tackling the table top. I did see the screws to remove the table top and thought that would be easy, then realized the livewell needed to be removed as well. Plus, I'm wondering if the table top just pulls up and over the ski-tow bar, or if that needs to be removed as well.

Regarding the funnel, if fixing the venting issue is too complex right now, I'm OK with a band-aid. In the last 2 seasons on the lake, I did not fill my old boat or jet ski up at a pump once and have been filling using gas cans. My plan is to have the motor serviced by my local dealer next winter and if needed I can have them address the fueling issue. There is warranty left on my boat and I have no problem directing the service department on what to look for and even what they need to fix. I can be rather persistent when I need to be.

Thanks again!
20190303_095427.jpg

You will probably have to at least loosen up the top to get the back cover off without resorting to a lot of cussing! I think the top drops down a bit and interferes with it. I have the same set up and you wont really see much from the back and its not that hard to remove everything. And yes , the top should come off without having to mess with the ski pylon. The pylon just has a decorative trim cap around it that should slide right off.

My dealer isn't very close so I dealt with the problem myself. You're lucky if you have one close by.

You will probably have to at least loosen up the top to get the back cover off without resorting to a lot of cussing! I think the top drops down a bit and interferes with it. I have the same set up and you wont really see much from the back and its not that hard to remove everything. And yes , the top should come off without having to mess with the ski pylon. The pylon just has a decorative trim cap around it that should slide right off.

My dealer isn't very close so I dealt with the problem myself. You're lucky if you have one close by.
Thanks again the-little-B. If all it took was a lot of cussing, the problem would have been fixed 10 times over..:)

Seriously, it really helps getting input from people who've had the same problems with the same setup.

If I have time, I will work on this next Saturday. Oh and for the record, I'm not scared I won't be able to disassemble everything, just scared I won't be able to put it back together again!

You'll be fine! Its nothing but a few screws and hose clamps! Just don't overtighten anything like the screws on the back cover and strip em out...

Did you change the vent location to an external surface-mount fuel vent, the-little-B?

My vent line is now through the large hole in the floor where the lines run in to the transom. Not really in to it but located right at floor level. The factory put it In a terrible spot where water would splash up into the vent line and into the fuel tank from there. Must have been a Monday or Friday build.

I did try moving the vent up near the filler cap out the rear of the fishing station but it allowed too many fumes out and would stink up the garage.

Back