Cutting dash for flush mount Garmin 431s

Pcoyne

Reaction score
Anyone on here upgrade from Echo 100 to Garmin 431s? If so what is the best way to cut the dash to create a larger hole without damaging the fiberglass?

Answered your pm.

Pcoyne, when I changed from 5 1/2" speakers to 6 1/4", I marked my larger hole and used one of those "zip bits" like they cut drywall with. Used it in a regular battery drill and it worked great. Mark you new hole with a sharpie pen and go slow and easy. Steve

Anyone on here upgrade from Echo 100 to Garmin 431s? If so what is the best way to cut the dash to create a larger hole without damaging the fiberglass?
What model Bennington do you have? On my 2574GLi I was able to easily remove the panel and take it to the workbench for better control on fitting it. I used a keyhole saw with a fine blade after drilling some starter holes in the corners. The 431's come with a paper template to work from.

Pcoyne,

I'm interested in doing this as well, what did you do for the transducer cable, I'm still not clear if you can re-use the 100's cable and transducer or if you have to run a new one. There are conflicting reports on the board concerning that. Please let me know

Thanks

Brian

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a Garmin 95 and it was the same transducer. Now I have a spare.

Use good painters tape, extend couple inches beyond template, trace it, drill holes in corners, and like LT1GMC said a keyhole saw with fine blade, take your time and you should be fine.

I would lay something under helm to try to catch the debris so it's not in the carpet afterwards.

Oh yeah, it's fiberglass, so gloves n dust mask !!!

Brian,

I had the same question and was told you can use the transducer from 100. But the girl at West Marine said they are different in tgat the 100 is a single beam and the 431s is a dual beam. Do if you use your original you will compromise the quality of the imagery one the 431. Also better reception at higher speeds. I am going to change it only because it is easily reached when on trailer.

Same question I have. The 431 is dual beam, I'm wondering how hard it will be to trace and replace the transducer on the lift?

May have dealer do it later?

Same question I have. The 431 is dual beam, I'm wondering how hard it will be to trace and replace the transducer on the lift?

The transducer that came with the Garmin 95 on our toon was the same number that came with the 431s. It just plugged right in and now I have a spare.

Super easy. Probably 1/2 hour max.(unless you have under deck sheeting) then a little longer.

Side cutters and zip ties should be all you need, and sockets/screwdriver to swap transducer at log mount. If it were me, I'd pull up to island, get in water, and swap it. JUST DON'T DROP THE SCREWS !!!

When drilling into fiberglass, start with the drill in reverse until you drill though the shiny surface, then switch to forward - minimizes chipping. Also, having a helper with a vacuum suck away the fiberglass debris as you cut really helps. Another trick to reduce clean up is to tape a garbage bag to the underside to catch debris. Fiberglass is nasty stuff - long sleeves, gloves, dust mask, eye protection.

Super easy. Probably 1/2 hour max.(unless you have under deck sheeting) then a little longer.

Side cutters and zip ties should be all you need, and sockets/screwdriver to swap transducer at log mount. If it were me, I'd pull up to island, get in water, and swap it. JUST DON'T DROP THE SCREWS !!!
With an ESP, I assume it has under deck sheeting. Does sheeting screw off or need rivets drilled out?

With an ESP, I assume it has under deck sheeting. Does sheeting screw off or need rivets drilled out?
Not sure, but I "think" screwed, but then again I could be wrong........

Might be easier to remove the outside strut filler panel and fish it around from the outside.

My factory installed Garmin 431 transducer has a pigtail about 10" long or so where it month to the pontoon. Which is nice because when I go a get the new upgraded Garmin transducer, all I have to do is undo the connection at the pigtail. I don't have to touch the cable going under the waveshield.

I'm surprised more companies don't offer this. Yes, you now have a sealed connection to death with, but the ease of changing a defective one or upgrading to a new on is 1000 times easier.

My waveshield is all pop rivets.

Todd

Update, did some reading: for most of the water that we will be on- the transducer already in the boat will be good.

Dual beam settings are used between shallow and deeper water-over 200 ft. I'm ordering the unit w/o

Update, did some reading: for most of the water that we will be on- the transducer already in the boat will be good.

Dual beam settings are used between shallow and deeper water-over 200 ft. I'm ordering the unit w/o
Willb,

Please let us know how that goes. I'm a bit baffled by the transducer compatibility thing and our lake is only 100' deep max. I'd like to upgrade to a 5" with the higher res screen (Garmin 527xs or 547xs), mainly to get engine data on it at some point with a Merc NMEA 2000 bridge/adapter and GPS speed back to the Smartcraft SC1000 speedo. I'd rather not have to replace any under deck wiring to/from the transducer if I can help it.

Tom

I appreciate all the feedback. The install went perfect. First the wiring, the echo 100 power wire had a quick release connect. Thanks BENNINGTON. I just unplugged and spliced the new harness with the original connector 10 minute job. I then removed the Echo two wing nuts hold it in place. The rubber gasket around it stuck a little so I took a small wire and broke the seal around it. Then covered area to be cut with blue painters tape. I stuck the template on tape drilled four corner holes and but out with a grinder with a cutting wheel went through like butter nice clean cut. I also replaced tranducer because wires from echo DO NOT MATCH 431s. Plus echo is single beam vs dual beam. Whole process took about an hour. Did have to remove steering wheel to make cut because of tight quarters on 20SLX. Overall very satisfied and looking forward to new toy this summer.

Mine went smooth as well. First I told Point Breeze Marina I wanted the Garmin 531 because I needed the large screen due to tired eyes. Then I left. I went back the following weekend and wrote him a check. Wish I was handy :(

Back