Damage to pontoon

timjet

Reaction score
As you can see in the picture I've damaged the port pontoon. It looks like the weld separated after a bump on a log in the water. Is this an easy repair or is a total replacement necessary?

Attachments

• pontoon damage.jpg
    pontoon damage.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 60
Insurance should cover it. In 2015 mine was hit in my slip at our previous marina ,it had much less damage than yours. Insurance replaced the toon , cost was about $3500.00 nine years ago

yup, hoping insurance will cover it. Just curious if this can be repaired. Sounds like maybe.

I would think it could be . They probably have to remove the end cap to get it back into shape .
Keep us posted on the out come .

That'll buff out!!!
I'm with Jeff, a good aluminum tig welder can fix that! Let us know how it turns out!

Being in the business to repair such damage that absolutely can be repaired, That is not the question to me, the hours to pay a skilled craftsman to repair both the pontoon and the end cap will be many many hours. And not warrantied most times. Verse a new one is the decision.

I'm just wondering if the boat is usable until I can get it repaired. In other words does the pontoon have baffles in such a way that water will not completely flood the pontoon.

The boat will not sink but it really is not usable. The end cap will grab the water, fill the rear baffle and pull the back end.

The boat will not sink but it really is not usable. The end cap will grab the water, fill the rear baffle and pull the back end.
That's what duct tape is for!

Thanks guys, here's an update. The cost to recap and reweld will be about $1000. It will look like a patch job but will be water tight. The insurance company wants me to put a new pontoon on and they'll pay so I'm going that route. $6000 for a new toon with $2500 of that just for shipping.

Mine was shipped on a load to my dealer, they put the replacement toon under a 2 toon boat . Insurance paid $3500.00 in 2015. 9 years later close to double.

Just out of curiosity, what's the lead time? My 2022 had a leak at delivery, 8 month wait then .

Mine was shipped on a load to my dealer, they put the replacement toon under a 2 toon boat . Insurance paid $3500.00 in 2015. 9 years later close to double.

I think I remember seeing they stopped doing that now. I think it had to do with the dealer labor to remove off other toon and potential damage issues.

Next time I go to the dealer, I'll ask how the last one was shipped .

$6000 for a new toon with $2500 of that just for shipping.
This is screaming for someone to create a Meme. Picture a small sedan, pontoon strapped to the roof. Top of meme says the above quote. Bottom of meme says “Hold my beer”.

May also get it quicker if independently shipped. Insurance cost at $6000 vs $8500 is the same impact to your rating and premium. Best decision in my opinion for what it is worth.... and it would be a great meme!!

What I have been told is replacement tubes are put on a trailer when they get a "full" load of them. Then delivered to the various dealers that have ordered them.

Back