Dealer/prop question

jsur

Reaction score
Which owners had a dealer that either tried multiple props or adjusted the mounting position of the motor to maximize performance?

My salesman claimed they were doing water testing and dialing in the ESP platform with the merc 300. I do recall talking to him about this subject and it included prop and height adjustments. If you have read any of my past posts about the performance of my boat, you will see I am satisfied.

Cheers, Steve

Mine did 

Mine will be water tested as well and prop tuned as best as they can.  They will try a couple props, but also will let me exchange props after motor break-in period as long as my prop is not damaged.

I'm currently on mount hole #1 (lowest).  I reviewed Yamaha's Performance bulletins and they have a boat/motor configuration close to mine.  #1 seems right.  I don't expect any changes there.

For the Yamaha folks: Check out http://yamahaoutboards.com/owner-resources/performance-bulletins to see if they have your setup.  Should get you close.

They just put a new bulletin out there for a 30' twin engine Benny (twin 300s).  7559lb "as tested" weight.  http://yamahaoutboards.com/sites/default/files/bulletins/BNT_30ClubTwin_t_F300XCA_2015-02-10_PNT.pdf

WOW...she's thirsty :)  51 gal per hour! (not MPH but GPH lol)

Last edited by a moderator:
My dealer water tested it, setting the mounting height and prop. I exchanged the 19p Enertia prop for one click down after break in and testing and it's just about perfect for my needs.

I don't understand the double craze. 600 hp to go 48 mph. Sounds like a big waste of cash. Tom would blow that one out of the water.

Yeah, I don't get it either! It is a 30'er though- that goes almost 50.

I don't understand the double craze. 600 hp to go 48 mph. Sounds like a big waste of cash. Tom would blow that one out of the water.
I don't either, but the Harris the factory tests here on our lake is supposedly in the 60's. My dealer has sold several of them, so I'm sure he could verify that.

Myself, I'd rather just put one of the new Merc Racing 400R's and a jack plate on my 22'  B)

Reactions: ssc
Maybe you could pull some strings at Bennington and get a new certification rating to handle the hp.....Might bump your capacity to 4 but hey, it might be worth it!

Maybe you could pull some strings at Bennington and get a new certification rating to handle the hp.....Might bump your capacity to 4 but hey, it might be worth it!
Ha, just ~$35-40k short on that plan.

I'd love to see one of those 7 marine engines hanging off the back! I'd have to get it rigged on a used 18' S model as that's the only way I'd come close to being able to afford it!! Bet the dealer would have every tech trying to get on it and water test every prop they could!! (see how I brought it back on topic!) hehe

Which owners had a dealer that either tried multiple props or adjusted the mounting position of the motor to maximize performance?
Most experienced dealers know what mounting position and prop performs well on their boats.  And obviously they want every boat they sell to meet the needs of their customers.

My boat came with the 14M Yamaha propeller, but it was 3-4 mph slow and hitting the rev limiter at 6300 rpm's.  They replaced the prop with the 15 pitch Yamaha Reliance prop, and it's perfect for my needs.  I'm 1 notch, or 3/4", up from the lowest setting with my 24SSLX with the F150 engine.

Most experienced dealers know what mounting position and prop performs well on their boats. And obviously they want every boat they sell to meet the needs of their customers.

My boat came with the 14M Yamaha propeller, but it was 3-4 mph slow and hitting the rev limiter at 6300 rpm's. They replaced the prop with the 15 pitch Yamaha Reliance prop, and it's perfect for my needs. I'm 1 notch, or 3/4", up from the lowest setting with my 24SSLX with the F150 engine.
I was not as lucky. I was told the 5400 rpm's on my 225 sho was ok. Sure, it may be ok, but not maximized. I am hoping to fix that this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back