Dented fencing repair

Lab guy

Reaction score
I am new to the site with a frustrating question. I have a 2007 Bennington 22RXL. Last year I took a big wave over the front of the boat and it dented my aluminum fencing.
It seemed like an easy fix to just access the dent from behind it and push it out. Well not so much! I can’t gain access from under the seat due to the storage box. I want to remove it but can’t figure out how? Seems that the apolstry is stapled to the plastic box. And the box is super tight. I have removed every screw I can find but still no luck.
I have even removed the rail from the deck and stuck my hand up behind the dent and attempted to push it out.
However it is like trying to straighten out a crushed beer can uggh! Anybody have this problem before? Or have some suggestions on how to access the backside of the fencing to be able to push out the creases? Thanks for you help.

Seat base should be held with screws in bottom of base and possibly a couple through the fencing. Should be able to move it easily once they are removed.

Our rear quarter panel was dented by a friend's boat while we sat in the main channel side by side. I had full access to the dent from behind because it was in a storage area and all I had to do was lift the sun pad up. As you know Bennington's panels aren't flat they have those curvy ridges in them. Because of them 2 dentless repair companies I contacted wouldn't touch it. So I tried everything imaginable to get the dent to "pop out" to it's original shape but it never did. I just pushed it out the best I could and that was that.......

I believe the secret to removing the base seats is to locate the screws that go into the fence rail. They are up high in the seat back and hard to find.

Seat base should be held with screws in bottom of base and possibly a couple through the fencing. Should be able to move it easily once they are removed.
Thank you everyone for your help. I took Semperfi’s advise and looked around for more screws. Sure enough there was 2 that I missed.
What I wasn’t expecting is the apohlestry and the tubs to all come out as a single unit. Separating from the rail in one section.
I was able to gain access and attempted to pound the dent out with a rubber mallet. It turned out ok but not perfect. That aluminum is tough to straighten back out. I am not going to agonize over it too much though, there is a high likelihood of it happening again. Thanks again for the input.

Find a laminate J-roller and you might be able to roll the dent out a little better

Back