Dented pontoons

Reaction score
Has anyone experienced dented pontoons at he rear 12 to 18 inches of both pontoons? I have complained to my dealer that the pontoons should not have dented in? Now a leak has developed in that vicinity? There is pushback from my dealer as to who should pay for the repair. The pontoon boat is a 2016 2250GSR

Pictures? Interesting that both sides are dented. Any thoughts on how it occurred? Bennington is pretty good about covering manufacturing defects.

Definitely need more detail. Unlikely both would have an issue from the factory. Did the dealer damage them? Or did you hit something?

Or is it hanging off the back of a lift incorrectly?

Underneath or on sides?
If underneath, it’s possible you did not have proper support. Technically, the support points are at front weld and rear cap weld. If sides are dented, I have never heard of a “manufacturing” denting issue in 7 years on forum.

Underneath or on sides?
If underneath, it’s possible you did not have proper support. Technically, the support points are at front weld and rear cap weld. If sides are dented, I have never heard of a “manufacturing” denting issue in 7 years on forum.
The dents are underneath the pontoons.

Technically, the support points are at front weld and rear cap weld.

That’s what I thought also. When I store mine on the ground for winter I make sure my styrofoam blocks are exactly on the welds. I put one on the center weld s also.

I don't store my boat myself and don't have a trailer, I take it to Rhodes River Marina for service and storage. I think that they did not store it like you've indicated. Thanks for the note

I don't store my boat myself and don't have a trailer, I take it to Rhodes River Marina for service and storage. I think that they did not store it like you've indicated. Thanks for the note

I would bet the rent check that it was laid down improperly in storage. Even short term, you’re looking at 3,000 lbs or more of load on any given point along the length of the pontoons. They probably blocked out the port and starboard pontoons in the wrong (unsupported) places and dented the pontoons. I would also not be surprised if the dents are nearly identical in size and shape - like, say a 6” x 6” wooden block?

Thanks for the input, you are right the dents are 6" x 6", my dealer is trying to tell me that it happens to most Bennington pontoon boats. I've made it a point to visit another dealer to look at their boats, did not find one that had those dents. I called the service rep at Bennington (Mitch Wolf) seems that he also indicated the same thing, hover offered no help. no one seems to want to man up and admit what they did to the boat. I can figure out how to post pictures or I would post them.

I could be wrong, but I think my dealer just sits them directly on the ground.

I could be wrong, but I think my dealer just sits them directly on the ground.

It could have been rack storage.

Frank, the place you stored your boat is full of crap, this is not what happens to Bennington's. I'd give them one more chance before seeking legal retribution, filing a claim on their general liability policy for property damage.

Thanks for the input, you are right the dents are 6" x 6", my dealer is trying to tell me that it happens to most Bennington. I called the service rep at Bennington (Mitch Wolf) seems that he also indicated the same thing, hover offered no help.

With all due respect, what did you expect Bennington to do? Your dealer/storage facility caused the issue, not Bennington. That’s like blowing your motor up due to dealer not putting proper amount of oil in, then calling the manufacturer to stand behind the motor.

Thanks for the input, you are right the dents are 6" x 6", my dealer is trying to tell me that it happens to most Bennington pontoon boats. I've made it a point to visit another dealer to look at their boats, did not find one that had those dents. I called the service rep at Bennington (Mitch Wolf) seems that he also indicated the same thing, hover offered no help. no one seems to want to man up and admit what they did to the boat. I can figure out how to post pictures or I would post them.

I think right here you have the answers and validation you need to be comfortable where liability falls: the dealer. Dealer says this happens on most Bennington’s. You verify it is not accurate for Benny’s at other dealerships, we can all testify this is not common to Bennington’s whatsoever. The fact it happens to most Bennington’s at THIS DEALERS facility isolates the variable right there.

I totally agree with Lakeliving above. I would push back hard on the dealer in this instance, as well as simultaneously filing a complaints with (1) BBB, and if possible (2) any consumer fraud division or oversight agency with your state. That will put teeth behind your issue. Often that is enough to really move a company forward in addressing an issue.

However, if they don’t step up from there, then it will leave you little option than to file an insurance claim against them for damaging your boat. Hopefully it would not come to this, but considering the cost of potentially two pontoons they damaged, they may try to wait you out unless you force it legally. So sorry you have to deal with a problem like this. I cannot imagine the frustration you are feeling.

Just as a data point, replacing two pontoons you’re looking at between $18k - $20k in parts, labor, and shipping, so until you file an insurance claim, nothing is going to get done.

Back