Dented Toon during delivery!

Idea is if you have an accident and a puncture, the entire toon isn’t going to sink.

If you have a leaky pontoon, they drill a hole, drain it, and then put in a plug. My guess (and it’s totally just that) is they would do this to drain the water out that they used to pressurize the pontoon to pop out the dent.

I’d never have thought of doing this, but it is an interesting approach.

Could they have just done the same thing with air? Attach a hose with a pressure gauge and increase air pressure internally to try to pop the dent out instead of filling it with water? Seems like if you did it with air instead you would eliminmate the need to then drain the water out. With air you could just open a valve when done and have the air pressure normalize...? OR am I missing something?

FYI - For pressurized vessels/tanks (such as fire extinguishers, welding tanks, etc.), most manufacturers and test agencies use water to pressure test instead of air. When a tank is pressurized with water, it doesn't take much air to get up to pressure. If the tank fails, a little bit of water shoots out before the pressure is released and that is it. With air, you are compressing the volume of air many times over and the pontoon in the case is like a bomb. If a weld or something fails, you are releasing an incredible amount of air in a short time. This is incredibly dangerous.

FYI - For pressurized vessels/tanks (such as fire extinguishers, welding tanks, etc.), most manufacturers and test agencies use water to pressure test instead of air. When a tank is pressurized with water, it doesn't take much air to get up to pressure. If the tank fails, a little bit of water shoots out before the pressure is released and that is it. With air, you are compressing the volume of air many times over and the pontoon in the case is like a bomb. If a weld or something fails, you are releasing an incredible amount of air in a short time. This is incredibly dangerous.
Thanks. I wondered “why water” and now I know. That’d be a heck of a lot of metal blowing open in a catastrophic failure.

Not dangerous at all if done properly (keeping pressure well under 10 psi)
And when you exceed that, it isn't so much a "bang" as a big "poooof".
Ask me how I know this, heh, heh, heh.

Back