Detroit River...

Sounds like fun!

thats my feelings! been talking to some co-workers and such and they all seem to feel pontoons boats will not do well on the detroit river. and im thinking how is it a jon boat can enjoy the river and my pontoon cant!? :mellow: mind you these are not boat owners

I can comment on the St. Clair River, if you're interested. I've made the round trip from Selfrige to Port Huron and back multiple times in my 19' Four Winns. It's a wonderful trip, but I only do it on a light wind weekday, or perhaps a Saturday. Water's too big for any kind of wind, or high boat traffic days. Takes all the fun out of it. Planning on buying a pontoon boat at Cobo in February; can't imagine the pontoon boat would handle it any better?

Thx George! been doing some research and most echoes your comments. my intent is to cruise from Trenton up the river to St Clair Shores.gonna pick a nice calm summer day and get out there and get a feel for things. thx again and best wishes at Cobo!!

I work at the RenCen and see the River all day long. Pontoons is not a boat I see down there. Wind, shifty currents, and large ship traffic is why I think people don't boat it with Pontoons. Don't really see many on Lake St Clair either. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the main factor that "limits" pontoons on most bodies of water is wave height. Typical boats are designed to plane and ride over a wave, but the toon will cut throught it, but with the new designs and the R&D on these "new" generation pontoons have addressed alot of that issue. Unless the waves are 3' high I'd feel perfectly comfortable on a toon. Like you said, if "jon" boats are out there, why not a pontoon. You will definitely "feel" the wave action more due to the size, but I bet you won't "swamp" your toon !! Go for it, enjoy, take pics, and give us an update.

By the way, the lake I boat on, on windy days can have 1' plus swells which creates a 2' trough..... heck it's likew a carnival ride !! I love the rocking motion and it rocks me to sleep on my awesome Benny reclining captains chair !!!

Smitty

I work at the RenCen and see the River all day long. Pontoons is not a boat I see down there. Wind, shifty currents, and large ship traffic is why I think people don't boat it with Pontoons. Don't really see many on Lake St Clair either. Good luck!

Nice view! I do contract work at all 3 USS facilities almost daily and I'm always observing boating activities and river conditions. I notice ships and freighters moves slow through the river, now on the open lake I'm told they increase their cruise speed. I'm up for the challenge. Thx

Suprisenly there is a big difference between a lake like st clair and one of the great Lakes. We have our boats on Saginaw bay and lake Huron. Pontoons do great and their are a lot of them around. Such a massive body of water doesn't usually results in waves and or chop coming from multiple directions like you get on st clair or the river. High boat traffic, narrow stretches where the waves will "bounce" off Canadian and US side makes it a interesting place to boat.

I wouldn't hesitate to take my Benny on St clair or the river, I'd just pay more attention and pick my days wisely

Todd

I agree and Thx for your input. I think I'm going to launch at Elizabeth Park in Trenton, get a feel for things and go from there.

Back