Dining Table Repair?

Threadbaron

Reaction score
I have a 2008 2577RFSI and it came with the brown colored fiberglass(?) dining table. Over the last years the table has turned colors and has a "milky" film over the original brown shiny surface. Not sure if delamination is the right word but either way I am trying to determine the best way to repair it. The table is still in great shape with no fiberglass/plastic issues at all, just the appearance. I have had a couple people tell me that its only the clear coat and a gentle sanding with a fine grit sandpaper would probably work. I wanted to toss it out here before I tried anything. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, how did you address it?

Thanks in advance!
Todd
Lake James in North Carolina

Pretty unusual situation in my opinion, but we have some really knowledgeable folks on this board (yours truly not included) so I wouldn't be surprised to receive an answer. Good luck at any rate...

If the clear coat has started to yellow, you can try to wet sand with some 2000 grit, then follow up with some polishing. You might get the shine back, or might be just easier to search for a new top. My dealer keeps a couple on hand.

You could also try one of those headlight restoration kits.

Thanks to all, I think I may try the fine grit sandpaper first and see how it does. As mentioned, if all else fails I can buy a new table! Appreciate it.

Just an FYI, fine grit, even 2000 will “haze” the clear coat, it needs a polishing to make it like a mirror again.

Semp and Mattb have come up with good ideas. If all else fails how about a nice table cloth.

Back