Do you think I need a new prop?

it can be repaired. The prop shops are very good.

Hey you have a inverted pitch prop now ... it’s like a turbo ... :oops:

I did worse to my dad's boat back in the day, including a 'torn' blade... prop shop fixed it well.
I paid for it (hint hint).
:)

Me: "Hey son, wtf happened here?!?"

Son: "I dunno"

View attachment 27437.

View attachment 27438
Ouch! Maybe instruct son that boat props are designed to propel in the water......not so well as a rock blender. Better avoid stainless steel props until he heads off to college for the sake of the bottom end...... lol (maybe add a Faria depth gauge to port side of helm, above stereo) (Of course, I never did anything wrong growing up :rolleyes: yeah, right ) Hey Dad, the boat kinda vibrates weird . Maybe it needs a tuneup? I dunno.......

Last edited:
Prop shop says it can be repaired, but will cost almost as much as a new aluminum prop and will take 5-6 weeks. So my son is buying me a new prop!
........... I dunno......maybe a late fathers day present ?...... good for you to make him be responsible! A life lesson he will remember. :cool:

Prop shop says it can be repaired, but will cost almost as much as a new aluminum prop and will take 5-6 weeks. So my son is buying me a new prop!
Holy crap 5-6 weeks? They sending it out to China???

We we repair for 59.00 plus freight. Once we receive prop it takes 2 days. Burris propeller service Cape Coral Fl. 239-772-3222

Have your son get a 3d printer and make them. I am sure a plastic prop would last up to 2 mph. No hole shots, though. bye bye blades

I would get the new one, but also repair the old one as backup.
.....or make a "trophy" for the mantel out of the destroyed prop to "kid" your son about forever. Mounted with a brass plate that says "Hey son, wtf happened here?!?...... I dunno...." :p

Last edited:
I would get the new one, but also repair the old one as backup.
Or get a new one and keep the damaged one as is for a spare. It will get you back to the dock, even if damaged. Note that vibrations from a damaged prop are not good on shaft bearings, but again, it will get you back to the dock in a pinch.

This is also an opportunity to try a different prop if you are not dialed in...

.....or make a "trophy" for the mantel out of the destroyed prop to "kid" your son about forever. Mounted with a brass plate that says "Hey son, wtf happened here?!?...... I dunno...." :p

Please tell me you are going to do this? This idea is perfect!!!

We trailer everywhere, so for me, having a fully functioning spare prop is part of being able to stay on the water. We can't limp back to the boathouse. We've taken the boat on week-long out-of-state vacations, weekend vacations across state, and our usual lake (Lake Conroe, TX) is an hour from home.

I didn't want to spend the money for a backup stainless steel prop, so I bought a 4-bladed alloy prop (a Mercury Spitfire, I think - I'll have to check). I don't expect the performance of the Mercury Mirage but I was curious to try a 4-blade.

I always have with me what I need to change the prop. So far, thankfully, haven't needed it. As soon as I take it off the boat, I'll need it!

Now you have an insight into how I justify spending money on the boat!!!!

Last edited:
Back