Does this top speed seem right?

Cruisinga

Reaction score
2007 Bennington 2275RL  Yamaha F115TLR

Two 'toons, w/ lifting strakes. We have had boat for 2 months.

Top speed (GPS) is 22 mph 5500 rpm.

Seems like 115 hp should push it faster. Back end of water sits low and motor seems to be deeper than it should be. If the top speed seems right then I won't worry about it, but it is slow then it seems like low-speed and rear sitting low in water could be related.

I will verify specs and try to get pictures today.

25" toons or 23"?

How clean are the toons?

Speed by gps or speedometer? 

How many people on board?

What's the prop on it?

It seems a little slow. My 09 w/90hp 2x25" toons was at around 22-24mph. Toons were perfectly clean though and that can make a huge difference! 

Did you have the motor trimmed up since you've got lifting strakes?  I usually can feel the prop ventilate a little, and I'll hit the down trim button for 1/2 second to get it to the most efficient and fastest speed. 

Then, you should be looking to be at 6000 rpms if you're propped right with 2 people and 1/2 tank of fuel..   

I have a 22SL, yamaha 115, twin tube with strikes. Yamaha 13.5x 15p aluminum prop with 1 person on board = 35mph on the GPS. WOT was at 6200 rpm. However with that prop and 7 adults speed dropped to 19 mph at 5300 rpm WOT. Just tested new yamaha talon prop, 13.5x10p. 27Mph WOT at 6200 rpm and 23 mph, 6200 rpm WOT, 8 people on board.

To answer earlier questions:

25" toons

pontoons are somewhat dirty. We were not able to clean completely before putting the boat in, but growth is slow in our lake. (cold clear water).

I forgot to look at the prop but I think it is safe to say it is the stock prop.

I went out and re-tested today and it's worse than I remembered.

Smooth water, half tank of fuel, wife and I in the boat no other gear  18mph at 6200rpm. I used GPS.

Top speed doesn't change much with motor trim.

Last edited by a moderator:
You and your wife are going to have to jump in with a scotchbrite pad or a brush and start wiping/scrubbing those toons. We do it at least once a week and also clean the outdrive......it'll make a difference.

To answer earlier questions:

25" toons

pontoons are somewhat dirty. We were not able to clean completely before putting the boat in, but growth is slow in our lake. (cold clear water).

I forgot to look at the prop but I think it is safe to say it is the stock prop.

I went out and re-tested today and it's worse than I remembered.

Smooth water, half tank of fuel, wife and I in the boat no other gear  18mph at 6200rpm. I used GPS.

Top speed doesn't change much with motor trim.
Wow, that speed is terrible.  For some reason growth does not seem to happen on pontoons on our lake we are on here in Maine.  I have looked at many peoples pontoons and rarely ever seen any growth.  I have heard it will kill your speed though.

I have a 2012 RRL 115 Yamaha with 25" toons that are fairly clean.  Prior to adding the express toon package I did 26mph

I am having same issues with my 2075GL, I have 2 25" toons with no strakes. 24 mph 17p @ 5900 rpms alone, 14 mph with 8 people, swapped a few props today, with 3 adults and 2 kids under 6: 22 mph 15p @ 5200 , 20mph 13p @ 5900.

Back