Dogs on Boats

Here is Largo our male yellow lab. He loves boat rides and we take him every time we go. We don't let him on the furniture. Too worried about nails on the vinyl and he isn't allowed on the furniture in the house either.

3FC9B9BD-0322-4E79-A0B9-7A37042A9F71_zpsbwracxhy.jpg

Beautiful lab Lakeliving.  How do you deal with Largo getting back onto the boat from the lake?  Alli wanted to get in yesterday but we wouldn't let her for a couple reasons.  One, the water is still a little cool and two, we're not sure how she'll get back on the boat.  Oh, and I second that on the furniture...labs are just too big for that.  We do have a heavy quilt in the house that we sometimes put on our couch.  She knows when we put the quilt up there she is allowed to get on that spot only.  Absolutely no getting on the pontoon furniture though. 

For what it's worth, the vinyl on our two boats has been impervious to dog nails. Not even a hint of a scratch from them and they're all over it. Sometimes Sage will come flying in from the beach, right over the top. The leather couches at home are a different story! 

Beautiful lab Lakeliving.  How do you deal with Largo getting back onto the boat from the lake?  Alli wanted to get in yesterday but we wouldn't let her for a couple reasons.  One, the water is still a little cool and two, we're not sure how she'll get back on the boat.  Oh, and I second that on the furniture...labs are just too big for that.  We do have a heavy quilt in the house that we sometimes put on our couch.  She knows when we put the quilt up there she is allowed to get on that spot only.  Absolutely no getting on the pontoon furniture though. 
Thanks. When we beach at an island I pick him up off the bow and he just swims around then I pick him up and put him back on the boat when he is done. Last summer we tried having him swim in deep water. He has a lifevest with a handle on the back. Getting him in the water simply took throwing a ball over board. I had a towel placed from his launch site to avoid boat damage! I was in the water with a vest on as well as he would swim back to the boat and I would float and hold him. just him swimming towards me and climbing into my arms scratched the crap out of me but he really enjoyed it. Then when we were done I folded the ladder down, stood maybe on the second step up, held onto the boat with my left hand, then grabbed his handle with my right and lifted/while standing up placing a 85lb dog plus water weight back on deck. It was easier than I thought it would be actually. He had knee surgery last year so we don't let him jump on and off the boat onto hard ground anymore. I don't want a repeat of having to carry him out to the bathroom multiple times a day and holding up his ass while he poops! oh, and that was during last winter with record snow falls. Wiped out with him in my arms and just held him tight and enjoyed the ride down to the ground.

So no marks on the seats Nick? That is impressive but being in risk mgt, I tend to not take chances!!!

Our Cavalier King Charles Riley. He loves the lake and yes he has dove off the back of the boat....scared me. He looks like a rat swimming which he loves to do....we are afraid a big fish will take him under so I swim close to him. :D

cannot post pic will keep trying 

Last edited by a moderator:
cannot post pic will keep trying 
Try uploading to your gallery in your profile first, then posting the image here. Or use something like Google+ or Photobucket, etc. The forum here isn't setup very friendly for uploading photos. 

So no marks on the seats Nick? That is impressive but being in risk mgt, I tend to not take chances!!!
Not one, and I give them about as much dog abuse as I can imagine possible. 

Sometimes we take my daughters Chihuahua on the boat.  On the other hand, I have a Puddy Cat that loves to go riding around in my FJ Cruiser and go 4wheeling.

Cheers, Steve

Has anyone tried, or use, the swim platform that hooks onto your boat's stairs so it's easier for the dog to board?

Gus, a Spring Spaniel, loved our first pontoon. If you opened the front gate he was gone.

He would swim among us. Yes, you had to be careful of his claws.

He would then swim around to the ladder up he would climb up. All you had to do was help him at the very top.

I don't have any pictures of him on the boat ladder, but these are from a dock a couple of years ago.

When went to a bow rider for a couple of years. Gus and Max, our second Springer stayed home. Not enough room for them. Unfortunately we had to put Gus down last fall. We are looking forward to see how Max takes to the boat as soon as the weather warms up enough for the Admiral to agree to go out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear about your loss. Looked like he had a great life!

Nice to see ther is some gravity on mars so when you throw the ball it eventually stops and he can grab it! I'd give that seat a wipe down though!!

Nice to see ther is some gravity on mars so when you throw the ball it eventually stops and he can grab it! I'd give that seat a wipe down though!!
Hahaha! Yeah, that beach was a disaster for my boat. It was this terrible clay sand, all just a little wet so it stuck to everything. That was the night in January that I probably should have spent in the ER rather than the boat because of the heart thing. Definitely wouldn't have been my first choice of beach under normal circumstances. 

Your a true dog lover when your heart is stopping and your still playing fetch!

TrueTex, Wilson is a great boat dog.  Have any trouble with your boat rising off the water with Wilson's ears?

Back